Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people
(03-07-2024, 08:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would disagree. My intention in using the word is never to offend. I am using it based on the definition to describe the traits of the MAGA movement, not even a political party as a whole. I mean, objectively, there is no way to say that the movement is not a cult of personality surrounding Trump. If you take offense to a reference like that where a movement meets the criteria then I don't know what to tell you.

I will refrain from referring to the MAGA movement as a cult from here on out so as not to offend any delicate sensibilities, but I was merely using the term based on definitive characteristics, not to insult.

Hmm....I dunno. Seems like an odd position to take Bels.

Why would someone not get offended by you calling them a cult? I cant think of a time I've ever heard that word used in a positive sense. You can't just  define something as a "cult" and tell people to get over it because you feel you're accurately defining the movement. Whether you're accurately describing it or not has nothing to do with how people "should" feel about the use of the word. It's like calling a group of people "terrorists" and saying "Well I accurately described it. If you don't like that it's your problem". Clearly people will have a problem with that because like cult, "terrorist" is never really used in a positive sense, so naturally people who support "terrorists" will take offense to being called as such.

How do you objectively prove that the MAGA movement is a cult? That seems a bit problematic to me. Sure, you could argue that there are those who show cult like tendencies on an individual basis, but the MAGA movement is a conglomerate of Trump supporters of various reasons for why they support him.

So, it shouldn't be a surprise that people get offended that they're called a "cult" when they're being equated to someone who essentially worships another person.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people - Matt_Crimson - 03-14-2024, 06:18 PM