Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Democrats losing all credibility in denial of overwhelming evidence..
(03-29-2024, 09:48 AM)hollodero Wrote: Weird, I see that happening all the time.

Yup, because it happens all the time.

Quote:I find that to be a loaded example that does not represent my stance. And the same goes for the other examples you listed.

That seems to happen with some frequency.

Quote:So this might illustrate the difference of opinion most clearly. For one, I think you're right, there is a clear danger from the right that is unique. I don't think that what Trump did in respect to the elections, or in respect to thrive for a dictator-like reign in general, is comparable to things Abrams or Hillary or whoever important from the democrats stated or aims for. And I sure say so, loudly and clearly and time and again. I'm not advocating to let narratives full of false equivalencies and faulty parallels just stand uncommented to comfort those who make or follow these points. You, however, imho take it a step further. Eg by associating mentioning "bad guys" on the left with some historic parallel from the civil war that isn't all that similar. I would advocate to just keep it real, to keep it real as you'd bold it, that's all. And part of that is, of course, claiming that the Trump-infested GOP is indeed worse in many respects, including highly important ones. However, I don't find it to be dangerous or unwise to mention (or "admit" as you put it) all the things that are (often subjectively, at times more objectively) wrong with the left and I feel it makes my stances more credible, not less effective. You claim it is "not the issue" multiple times, reaction to BLM is not the issue, who's worse is "of no consequence" etc, but of course for people these are issues and I find it highly convenient to claim "for the good of the country they better not be". That will persuade no one and imho gets blatantly close to giving all things liberal a wide reaching carte blanche on the sole basis that Trump is worse and more dangerous. Imho, this attitude contributes quite a lot to him not getting less popular.

I am aware that we will probably never see eye to eye on this issue, so I will leave it be.

It honestly amazes me that you're the only left leaning poster here who genuinely understands these points.  You don't have to agree with a position to see the point being made.  You don't have to agree with the conclusion to see the argument has some merit.  You are also the only one who listens and responds to points that are actually made.  The consistent frustration of having to reexplain a position only to have it misinterpreted (deliberately?) again and again can be rather tiresome.

I have significant issues with the hyperbole, and validity of the posts of several right leaning posters here  But it is currently dwarfed by this tendency of the left leaning ones to put words in your mouth, argue against points you never made, ignore the points you do make and reply with the same circuitous argument.  Honestly, if people could at least try and follow the example of yourself and Bel for example a lot more constructive conversation would be had here.  And maybe Stewy would go back to normal. Wink

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democrats losing all credibility in denial of overwhelming evidence.. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-29-2024, 12:56 PM