Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joseph Ossai Possible Break Out 2024? Other Bengal Breakout candidates?
I read somewhere Ossai was hurt a lot of the last 2 years. He showed good pash rushing skills in 2022. Can he be a breakout candidate in 2024? I think he also on the last year of his contract.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
At this point Ossai should be considered a bonus player. If he can deliver any value, great, but you shouldn't expect anything from him. His 2023 season was a disaster.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 08:28 PM)CJD Wrote: At this point Ossai should be considered a bonus player. If he can deliver any value, great, but you shouldn't expect anything from him. His 2023 season was a disaster.

He was injured to start and fell behind Sample & Murphy on the depth chart. 

I believe he ended up grading out higher than either (via PFF), but a lot of that was the Beowns game 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 08:28 PM)CJD Wrote: At this point Ossai should be considered a bonus player.

nah, he was supposed to be the 2nd guy to Hendrickson when it comes to pass rushing. Now we have to rely on just Murphy. 

I truly believe he's mind broken from the 22 afc chip

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Sure hope so and have always been high on Ossai's potential since he was drafted.

But I'm in a Missouri state of mind now and he must "show me". Hopefully he can get it going this season and maybe knowing he will be playing for his next contract may be motivation enough to do so. Fingers crossed but as I said, he must show me now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Well, it is his rookie year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, Sample, Gunter

Someone mentioned a Billy Price type trade with Carman in another thread. Ossai should probably be in that discussion too.

I had high expectations for him. Maybe some other team still does. If not he probably sticks and kicks Gunter off the roster. But Gunter as our 5th DE is fine with me.
Reply/Quote
I think this is the year Billy Price puts it all together
Reply/Quote
I just ate dinner and Billy Price mentioned twice just kicked my indigestion into high gear. Thanks!
Reply/Quote
I think he could be good if completely healthy.

He definitely showed glimpses of being a good pass rusher when he was healthy.
He added to our pass rush depth on our playoff runs.

Billy Price never showed any glimpses of anything.

That said, Ossai is trending more and more like the pass rusher we let go to the Jets and replaced with Hendrickson.
Although he hasn't had the serious injuries that guy had.
Glimpses of greatness are what he's known for at this point and I'm not sure if his career will ever amount to more than that.

I'm not giving up hope on Ossai though. He could certainly put it all together this year.
I'm just not banking on it and if he does that would certainly be a nice surprise.
Reply/Quote
It just seems like none of our UT picks ever work out. Hopefully that changes if they end up drafting Sweat or Murphy.

Reply/Quote
I am hopeful we have a few breakout players in 2024. I don't follow baseball so much these days, but I remember when small market teams won, they had 2 or 3 players with career years.

We need some of your guys to take huge leaps. It could leap us to winning it all.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Dude will get 7.5 sacks and then try to hold Bengals ransom for a mega deal - after getting paid to NOT PLAY for over 50% of his NFL career. Won't get deal in Cincy, will sign w the Raiders only to have some freak injury where his arms will completely fall off of his body, ending his career.

It's how it always goes, save for a small handful of guys.
Reply/Quote
I don’t see it

He showed skills 2 years ago and as a rookie but something happened after he hit Mahommes
I thought it was mental but injury makes sense as well. Whatever it was i have to imagine it’s fixed this year so I’m lowkey expecting him to be great. Idk why i am i just like him and hope he shakes off whatever was bothering him
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 12:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It just seems like none of our UT picks ever work out. Hopefully that changes if they end up drafting Sweat or Murphy.

Which is weird, going as far back as Devon Still who was a 2nd round pick, just flop after flop.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 08:18 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Dude will get 7.5 sacks and then try to hold Bengals ransom for a mega deal - after getting paid to NOT PLAY for over 50% of his NFL career. Won't get deal in Cincy, will sign w the Raiders only to have some freak injury where his arms will completely fall off of his body, ending his career.

It's how it always goes, save for a small handful of guys.

That is not all bad, we may get a nice 2025 compensatory pick if that happened. 

Reply/Quote
My breakout candidates are :

Murphy: He finished strong and I think he gets better and gives us a nice 3 headed monster at DE
Battle: with the veteran Bell back, i think his experience will help Battle to a very good year
Jones: Im not totally solid on Jones, but hopefully now knowing his role is expanding, if he can improve route running and it seems organization is looking at him as Boyd replacement, he has a good 2nd year
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is weird, going as far back as Devon Still who was a 2nd round pick, just flop after flop.

I'd even take it all the way back to Shipley... There was definitely something there, but injury robbed him of it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is weird, going as far back as Devon Still who was a 2nd round pick, just flop after flop.

Devon still went to penn state
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 08:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I read somewhere Ossai was hurt a lot of the last 2 years. He showed good pash rushing skills in 2022. Can he be a breakout candidate in 2024? I think he also on the last year of his contract.

Thoughts?

I was about the biggest fan on this board of the Ossai pick, but he has been a severe disappointment even with the injuries. He shown lots
of great flashes before the dumb penalty in the AFC Championship and then he got injured again and there must of been something in his head 
with that play on top of it. 

Ossai did play the best of any defender in the last game of the season last year though from what I saw, lot's of pressures and one of them lead
to an interception so I think there is still hope. But I have done this before with players I really liked in college and then they did nothing and 
became busts in the NFL.

I actually think the player to watch this year is Myles Murphy who shown more than I thought he would as a raw rookie. If Murphy can put it 
together I think he could be elite at both stopping the run and rushing the passer, a dual force.
Reply/Quote