Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antwan Randel-El can't walk down stairs
(01-20-2016, 03:10 PM)gobobro Wrote: Actually, that's rather the literary definition of a tragedy.

Please, they are paid so many times the rate of a job that people study hard to achieve..
(01-20-2016, 03:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is it less tragic when the guy makes a lot of money?  I mean, do you go to the VA hospital and tell the disabled veterans they should have just mowed lawns for a living if they didn't want to trade their lives/bodies for that sweet government paycheck?

I see your analogy, they both signed up for the job, but the pay rate is much different.
(01-20-2016, 05:03 PM)gobobro Wrote: You can say you don't feel bad for them because they had choices, and that's totally fine. I do, but that's not the point I was trying to make.

All I'm saying is "tragedy," in the literary sense, doesn't make that distinction. Romeo and Juliet is an easy example. It's one of the all-time tragedies, and yet both characters have choice after choice to avoid the "inevitable."

By definition, Randle El's story is still tragic. You just don't have to feel bad for him.

I don't feel bad for him.  He chose to play pro football.  He made millions, if he managed it well, he should be well taken care of.
(01-20-2016, 10:47 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Look at boxers like Ali. He's real messed up.

Again, you can tell a person the dangers of what they are good at, but will they listen?

All that I can say is that NFL football is the modern equivalent of Gladiators.  The best are handsomely rewarded, the weak are left to die.  Is it just?  Absolutely.  Everyone that signs up to play football knows full and well what the game is about, and what the possible outcomes are.

Do I feel badly for Randle El?  Meh, maybe for his physical condition, but he chose the gladiator life...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Antwan Randel-El can't walk down stairs - SunsetBengal - 01-21-2016, 12:13 AM