Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something You'll Never See In Cincinnati...EVER!
I'm not a fan of anything and could care less what the team does to be honest - what I'm offering in that example is how the Bengals think, and honestly how many around the league view what the Bengals do. And that there is inherent danger in change for the sake of change when it comes to winning teams. Everyone understands 0-7, five straight. No one is discounting that. But I'll tell you right now - every single owner in this league will take 52 wins and five trips to the playoffs the last five years. Every one. And they'll roll the dice with the playoff game. (I break down the last five years as a separate 'era' since it was the second rebuild, basically, under Lewis).

I saw a comment about an unproven Lewis being hired. No, he wasn't a head coach - but Lewis was basically running things for Spurrier and he was long overdue for a head job. Not like a a Chip Kelly or Adam Gase type.

The things you point to - all these other bad teams getting better with new coaches. Of course. That's why they were hired. But remember - way back when - the Bengals got better when they hired Lewis. Then when Palmer quit, and they got bad, they got better again. Under Lewis. Those are kind of apples to oranges. This isn't a 5 or 6 win team needing a shot in the arm, or a "change of culture."

Trust me - no one is content with first round exits at Paul Brown Stadium. No one. And I talk to every important person in that building. But they also know the reasons for getting there.

Now, for my opinion: I think once this core is aged out (not so much Dalton, because QBs can be effective into the late 30s) in 2/3 years and the team begins to slide back a bit, and it has to start all over again, you see a change in HC. Unless something drastic happens (like all the guys on the team quit on him and they finish 2-14, 3-13 type of thing). I'm not sure Lewis gets a third rebuild as he hits his 60s.

Honestly guys - the players have to win a game. The coach is the easy one to change when things go real bad, but at some point, these dudes have to win one.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something You'll Never See In Cincinnati...EVER! - jowczarski - 02-05-2016, 06:34 PM