Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite wines to cook with?
(11-10-2016, 06:00 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I don't drink wine, so the saying "don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink" doesn't help me.   Any suggestions on different wines to use while cooking?   I have used the different Kroger brand cooking wines (red, white, Marsala) which adds a good flavor to the dish but I would guess there are better wines to use.  Thanks in advance!

Not much of a hard liquor drinker, do people cook with it at all?  I do drink beer and like cooking with a nice porter or stout every now and then though.

I'll preface this with I'm not a chef.

However, the ones I've worked with (I've worked in many restaurants, including fine dining) and I've noticed many prefer Zinfandel, Cabernet, and Merlot for reds.  Whites seem to be less selective.

And yes people use hard liquor in cooking, mainly in sauces, such as Jack Daniels/Jim Beam BBQ sauces and glazes.  There's a lot of bourbon flavored dishes out there, and vodka marinara sauces.  Also people use rum a lot in dishes.  I'm sure there is more I'm missing, but it's late.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Favorite wines to cook with? - Cure4CF - 11-10-2016, 06:00 PM
RE: Favorite wines to cook with? - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 11-17-2016, 04:06 AM
RE: Favorite wines to cook with? - Benton - 11-22-2016, 12:25 PM