Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency first thoughts (Defense)
Quick rundown of my thoughts the free agents this year and how our roster and draft might influence it.

Player info from https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2017-free-agency-tracker/

Defense:

Safety:
The free agent safeties this year are very good. 5 safeties are graded 85 or better by PFF and that is just for the ones under 29. Eric Berry, Tony Jefferson, and John Cyprien headline a deep group.  

Outlook:  I think there is zero chance the Bengals sign a free agent safety of any note.  Iloka and Williams are the safeties moving forward.  Iloka is solid and Williams has a nice new contract. Also, if the Bengals do feel they can upgrade at the safety position they have the chance to select one of 3 extremely good college safeties with their first pick in Jabrill Peppers, Jamal Adams, or Malik Hooker.

Cornerback:  Not a particularly inspiring group. A.J. Bouye, and Malcolm Butler far and away the best players here.  

Outlook:  Very unlikely to sign an outside free agent CB.  Dre Kirkpatrick is in the 2nd tier of players in this group and there are really no significant upgrades.  Resigning Kirkpatrick would be the best course of action here as any marginal skill upgrade would be offset by unfamiliarity with a new system.

Linebacker:  A very poor group of free agents for the Bengals needs here. Dont'a Hightower is the highest rated and he is surely to get locked up long term by the Pats.

Outlook:  Beyond a camp body I can't imagine any signings being made here. Burfict, Rey, and Vigil are as good as anyone on this list.  If the Bengals do choose to upgrade the LB core this is the draft to do it.  There are at least 4 players in Reuben Foster, Zach Cunningham, Raekwon McMillan, and Jarrad Davis available with the Bengals first 2 picks that could supplant all but Burfict.

Def. Tackle:  Calais Campbell and Kawaan Short head line uninspiring group.  Both are in line for $100 million +  contracts per sportstrac estimates.  Abry Jones and Jarvis Jenkins would be attainable and upgrades over Peko at mid level contracts

Outlook:  Possible, but not likely.  Sims played better as the season went on, and Billings and Thompson will be back.  Almost certainly there will be at least one DT chosen in the draft. Malik McDowell, Carlos Watkins, Elijah Qualls, and Montravius Adams will be available within the Bengals first 3 picks and almost certainly I believe 1 of them will be selected.

Edge:  A very good group. Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, and Jason Pierre-Paul are the big names in this group.  And the next tier offers several other solid players.  

Outlook:  I think it's very likely hope the Bengals sign 1 if not 2 free agents here.  Players I think would be very solid contributors at very manageable contracts are Datone Jones, 6'4" 270lbs, formerly of the Packers. Jones was miscast as a 3/4 DE in the Packers defense before being moved to OLB this season.  Jones could be very useful in a Gilberry role in which he alternates between DE and rush DT in obvious passing downs.   The other player I would look at is Devin Taylor, 6'7" 280 lbs, from the Lions.  Taylor struggled this season as a starter but in 2015 in a rotational role he notched 7 sacks.  Taylor could provide an immediate upgrade over Hunt.  Both are young players under 28 (Jones 26, Taylor 27).  Sportrac is projecting Jones see about 4 mill per year, and Taylor most likely would be at 1 mill per year.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Burma - 01-07-2017, 12:52 AM