Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals allowing "easy completions"
Most people here know that NFL passing numbers increased significantly from 2005 (80.1 rating, 203.5 yds per game) through 2015 (90.2, 243.8) but most probably don't realized that each of the last two seasons passer rating and yards per game declined. Last year the league averages were 86.9 and 224.4. This made me think that the passing game had reached its high water mark and was leveling off.

Boy was I wrong

People say our pass defense is horrible because we are allowing a passer rating of almost 100 (99.2) but there are THIRTEEN other teams that are allowing a passer rating over 100. People complain about us giving up too many "easy completions" and our 67.3 looks pretty bad, but there are 11 teams that are worse. Six teams are allowing over 70% completion rates. OBs playing Tampa Bay have completed almost 80% of their passes (121-157, 77.1%).

Passing numbers are off the chart. Trubisky has a passer rating over 100 and he can't even crack the top ten. It took 10 years for the league passer rating to creep up 10 points from 80.1 in '05 to 90.2 in '15. This year it has jumped to 94.7.

Six QBs have ratings of 110+. Over the previous decade only 8 QBs had accomplished that.

Seven QBs are on pace to throw 40 tds this year. Over the previous decade only 5 QBs had accomplished that.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most people here know that NFL passing numbers increased significantly from 2005 (80.1 rating, 203.5 yds per game) through 2015 (90.2, 243.8) but most probably don't realized that each of the last two seasons passer rating and yards per game declined.  Last year the league averages were 86.9 and 224.4.  This made me think that the passing game had reached its high water mark and was leveling off.

Boy was I wrong

People say our pass defense is horrible because we are allowing a passer rating of almost 100 (99.2) but there are THIRTEEN other teams that are allowing a passer rating over 100.  People complain about us giving up too many "easy completions" and our 67.3 looks pretty bad, but there are 11 teams that are worse.  Six teams are allowing over 70% completion rates.  OBs playing Tampa Bay have completed almost 80% of their passes (121-157, 77.1%).

Passing numbers are off the chart.  Trubisky has a passer rating over 100 and he can't even crack the top ten.  It took 10 years for the league passer rating to creep up 10 points from 80.1 in '05 to 90.2 in '15.  This year it has jumped to 94.7.  

Six QBs have ratings of 110+.  Over the previous decade only 8 QBs had accomplished that.

Seven QBs are on pace to throw 40 tds this year.  Over the previous decade only 5 QBs had accomplished that.

time to let defenses hit people again....
Reply/Quote
Fred makes excellent points as usual which are completely backed up wth sound statistics.

What I think we need to define are “easy completions.” In my opinion, Teryl Austin is content to give up short passes while preventing the deep ball. I’m not saying I like this. I’m just describing what I think is going on this season. “Easy completions,” therefore, are non-contested passes that won’t result in an immediate score. They’ll move the ball, often gain a first down or so, but they won’t hurt bad.

I have noticed coverage is tighter in the red zone so that’s somewhat encouraging.

One of these days it will be time to tighten up the defense against passes of any length. This is why the Cincinnati defense can’t get off the field on third down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 06:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Fred makes excellent points as usual which are completely backed up wth sound statistics.

What I think we need to define are “easy completions.” In my opinion, Teryl Austin is content to give up short passes while preventing the deep ball. I’m not saying I like this. I’m just describing what I think is going on this season. “Easy completions,” therefore, are non-contested passes that won’t result in an immediate score. They’ll move the ball, often gain a first down or so, but they won’t hurt bad.

I have noticed coverage is tighter in the red zone so that’s somewhat encouraging.

One of these days it will be time to tighten up the defense against passes of any length. This is why the Cincinnati defense can’t get off the field on third down.

Zimmer is paying a heavy toll for his aggressive scheme.

Austin's approach works here only because we have the offense that can answer.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:07 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Austin's approach works here only because we have the offense that can answer.

This is a crucial point you make. My fear is coming up against a defense who can stop Cincinnati’s offense. If the Bengals get into a game which becomes a defensive battle it will become impossible to win.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 06:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Fred makes excellent points as usual which are completely backed up wth sound statistics.

What I think we need to define are “easy completions.”  In my opinion, Teryl Austin is content to give up short passes while preventing the deep ball.  I’m not saying I like this.  I’m just describing what I think is going on this season.  “Easy completions,” therefore, are non-contested passes that won’t result in an immediate score.  They’ll move the ball, often gain a first down or so, but they won’t hurt bad.

One of these days it will be time to tighten up the defense against passes of any length.  This is why the Cincinnati defense can’t get off the field on third down.

Coverage can't help but get tighter in the Red Zone. You can only cover so deep. You let a team convert 3rd downs on a drive and they kick FGs all day long, you are still giving up a lot of points. Not to mention your D is tired as hell all game. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is a crucial point you make. My fear is coming up against a defense who can stop Cincinnati’s offense. If the Bengals get into a game which becomes a defensive battle it will become impossible to win.

I can't believe I'm actually writing this, but Cleveland may be that defensive test, and possibly Pitt.

The Ravens game was an important one because they are top 5 in the league in defense and offense. But we match up well with them.

I am looking forward to the KC game. Our defensive scheme is built to match against their type of offense.
Reply/Quote
I said in another post, I don’t think Andy finished in the top 10 in yds yesterday. That’s just ridiculous that there are so many 300+ passing games.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:24 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I can't believe I'm actually writing this, but Cleveland may be that defensive test, and possibly Pitt.

I get what you’re saying but the hapless soon to be Las Vegas Raiders hung 45 points on the Browns yesterday. Still, you may have a legitimate point because Cleveland held the Steelers to what? 21 points?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I said in another post, I don’t think Andy finished in the top 10 in yds yesterday. That’s just ridiculous that there are so many 300+ passing games.

It’s the league. For some reason known only in the feverish mind of one Roger Goodell, the league is trying to give the offense every advantage. Maybe they think more points means more fans in the seats. Heck, it works in the nearly defenseless NBA!
Reply/Quote
Bengals play some tough QBs this year which hasn't made it easy. We are (thankfully) 3-1 while playing against QBs who have all taken their teams to Superbowls or Championship games.

Andrew Luck
Joe Flacco (x2)
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Tannehill
Rothlessburger (x2)
Mahommes
Winston/Fitzpatrick
Drew Brees
Baker Mayfield (x2)
Case Keenum
Phillip Rivers
Derek Carr

Excited for this week, we will finally be playing against a QB who isn't borderline elite.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:07 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Zimmer is paying a heavy toll for his aggressive scheme.

Austin's approach works here only because we have the offense that can answer.

This ^^^^^^, our D steps up when it has to. Both O and D are complimenting each other. We are on our way to the playoffs, we WILL lose more games but this team is playing confident and to the end like I havent seen in years.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I get what you’re saying but the hapless soon to be Las Vegas Raiders hung 45 points on the Browns yesterday. Still, you may have a legitimate point because Cleveland held the Steelers to what? 21 points?

Great point.
Reply/Quote
So what’s on tape from last nights game. What did the ravens do to completely lock down ben in the second half. How do we do that to offenses. Because right now 5-6 passing tds by a qb in a game is becoming the new normal. Not just for our d but everyone’s.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bengals play some tough QBs this year which hasn't made it easy. We are (thankfully) 3-1 while playing against QBs who have all taken their teams to Superbowls or Championship games.

Andrew Luck
Joe Flacco (x2)
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Tannehill
Rothlessburger (x2)
Mahommes
Winston/Fitzpatrick
Drew Brees
Baker Mayfield (x2)
Case Keenum
Phillip Rivers
Derek Carr

Excited for this week, we will finally be playing against a QB who isn't borderline elite.

Don't even say it. 
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't cry too hard about the Bengals giving up some passes. Will Fuller just got smoked by a rookie, AND he was holding with all his might...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Perhaps this explains Daltons success this season.

LOL. kidding. well kinda.
Reply/Quote
See the thing that's not being mentioned here...  is letting them complete on 3rd down and failing to make the tackle a few yards from the 1st down marker.

There's still an execution problem with this defense even if you acknowledge the scheme.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We're in the bottom half of the league in every passing stat not sure what there is to brag about. With the talent this team has that's down right embarrassing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what your point is Fred, you're basically saying we're in the lower half in defense and that's "OK". You also make a statement similar to everyone else is jumping off the bridge, so it must be fine.

Take it the other way, there are "plenty of other teams" playing defense better than us - follow them.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote