Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pollack Press Conference
Meh.

The end of the day, I just want a middle of the pack OL that plays the full season. That's where I'm at now. Mediocre. I'll be happy with middle of the road. Dudes who don't just sidestep defenders or play four games before going on IR. Gimme 14 (or more) games with a top 20 ranking, I'll not complain.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 06:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t say it’s the only thing. The guy calling the plays still has a lot to prove.

Indeed
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 09:48 PM)Benton Wrote: Meh.

The end of the day, I just want a middle of the pack OL that plays the full season. That's where I'm at now. Mediocre. I'll be happy with middle of the road. Dudes who don't just sidestep defenders or play four games before going on IR. Gimme 14 (or more) games with a top 20 ranking, I'll not complain.

Agree

If we can just somewhat resemble an NFL Oline I'll be elated. 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 06:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What in the hell does Turk McBride have to do with you comparing yourself to a young NFL Tackle?

I don't know what the issue is here.  All I am saying is that a person can get stronger while losing weight.  Football players do it.  Lawyers do it.  It is not an "apples to oranges" comparison because the same rule applies to both.

Like I said, if you don't believe me then go ask someone who knows something about physical fitness.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 10:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what the issue is here.  All I am saying is that a person can get stronger while losing weight.  Football players do it.  Lawyers do it.  It is not an "apples to oranges" comparison because the same rule applies to both.

Like I said, if you don't believe me then go ask someone who knows something about physical fitness.

I'm not sure what this argument is about either. Sure, you can lose weight and get stronger, but to play o line you need the proper ration of strength, mass, and speed. Pollack obviously thought Jonah could use 10 more lbs. of mass, while getting stronger, and not losing speed.
Reply/Quote
fredtoast:

"I don't know what the issue is here. All I am saying is that a person can get stronger while losing weight. Football players do it. Lawyers do it. It is not an "apples to oranges" comparison because the same rule applies to both.

Like I said, if you don't believe me then go ask someone who knows something about physical fitness."

Just laugh and go along with it. You were zinged. Torched. Lit up. The mic was dropped. Need I continue?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 06:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Our line is the only thing that's keeping us from having a dangerous offense, so hopefully Pollack can work his magic and have them performing to at least an average level.  

Open some holes and give Burrow a little bit of time and I'll crown Pollack as king of Cincinnati ThumbsUp

The trenches on both sides have been terrible since Taylor got here.

Pollack and Hobby could be the key acquisitions.

(07-31-2021, 06:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t say it’s the only thing. The guy calling the plays still has a lot to prove.

Yeah, but would his play calling be better if the OL could actually block?

I don't know...
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 10:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what the issue is here.  All I am saying is that a person can get stronger while losing weight.  Football players do it.  Lawyers do it.  It is not an "apples to oranges" comparison because the same rule applies to both.

I know plenty about physical fitness, strength training, and even train athletes myself.

However, in response to a comment about Jonah Williams putting on mass and strength, you felt the need to throw in an analogy about yourself losing weight and gaining strength.  I just found your comment to be the antithesis of what was being talked about, and your need to somehow relate your own cute little anecdote into things to be just a bit grandiose.  Actually, the losing weight and gaining strength story reminds me of another of your tales about once killing a gopher with a stick..  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So far Pollack is coming across both in conferences and on the practice field (from what we can see) like he has a good bead on what caused all the OL issues the past two years and is working to address it. Hopefully that is indeed the case. In any event even just the little we have seen is far superior to Turner.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 03:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: So far Pollack is coming across both in conferences and on the practice field (from what we can see) like he has a good bead on what caused all the OL issues the past two years and is working to address it. Hopefully that is indeed the case. In any event even just the little we have seen is far superior to Turner.

I also liked how Pollack was classy and didn't throw Turner under the bus even though we all know Turner threw himself under it.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, but would his play calling be better if the OL could actually block?

I don't know...

He hasn’t been a good play caller anywhere he’s been (UC, Miami, Cincy), so until I see otherwise I’m going to assume he’s pretty mediocre at it.

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 04:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I also liked how Pollack was classy and didn't throw Turner under the bus even though we all know Turner threw himself under it.

Maybe Pollack was driving that bus... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 05:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He hasn’t been a good play caller anywhere he’s been (UC, Miami, Cincy), so until I see otherwise I’m going to assume he’s pretty mediocre at it.

This will be a very telling season for him on all fronts. I think 3 years is a reasonable criterion for a rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 05:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He hasn’t been a good play caller anywhere he’s been (UC, Miami, Cincy), so until I see otherwise I’m going to assume he’s pretty mediocre at it.

True.

(08-01-2021, 10:11 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: This will be a very telling season for him on all fronts.  I think 3 years is a reasonable criterion for a rebuild.

Also true. 
Reply/Quote