Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Chase not Practicing - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (https://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Chase not Practicing (/thread-38711.html)

RE: Chase not Practicing - Sled21 - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 02:58 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: The bengals don’t have a kelce, or Chris jones.  And hard to put burrow in the same group as mahomes.  

If you gave the bengals an All time great at tight end and DT, I’m sure the bengals could manage (maybe).  

It’s not so black and white.

Yeah, but the money Chase wants would go a long long way to getting us a Kelce or Jones....

RE: Chase not Practicing - Sled21 - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 04:06 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: What those people don't seem to realize,or know.Is that Higgin's agent has said,he wants $30 million a year.So,for me,that kind of money,is better spent on Chase.

Obviously we would all love to re-sign Chase, but he's not as indispensable as he seems to think he is. With Higgins, Gesicki, Burton, Yoshi, Jones, Irwin, All and Hudson Burrow could make it work. And we could use his money toward a top DE or other positions of need. I want Chase back, don't get me wrong, but I'm not for selling the farm because he's throwing a temper tantrum with 2 years left on his contract. 

RE: Chase not Practicing - Bengalbug - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 04:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, but the money Chase wants would go a long long way to getting us a Kelce or Jones....

Money has nothing to do with this man. To get a kelce or jones you need to hit in the draft. When was the last time an elite, HOF caliber, te or DT hit free agency? It’s not they simple. The reality is, if they don’t sign Chase, the money will be overspent on mediocre FA or not spent at all.

RE: Chase not Practicing - Bengalbug - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 04:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Obviously we would all love to re-sign Chase, but he's not as indispensable as he seems to think he is. With Higgins, Gesicki, Burton, Yoshi, Jones, Irwin, All and Hudson Burrow could make it work. And we could use his money toward a top DE or other positions of need. I want Chase back, don't get me wrong, but I'm not for selling the farm because he's throwing a temper tantrum with 2 years left on his contract. 

Burton, Yoshi, jones, Irwin, all and Hudson? The difference of bengals with Chase and bengals without Chase is top 5 and bottom 5.

You won’t be able just go “get a top DE”. Top 5 players , at their positions, don’t hit free agency.

RE: Chase not Practicing - bfine32 - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 08:36 AM)Whatever Wrote: Nike more than you want it to be "yes."

Of course I "want" it to be yes; I'm a Bengals fan, however., my answer was possibly.

I could just as easily ask do we make it without Eli Apple, Trey Hendrickson, Joe Burrow.... 

Jamar Chase was not some magical being that put us in the playoffs and allowed us to win games there. 

(08-23-2024, 12:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All 3 of their best players after Burrow (Chase, Trey, Tee) have either asked for a trade, or done a hold-in at this point. It’s just business. I’m sure Chiefs fans forgave Chris Jones awful quick after that whole situation. And most of ours will too with these guys.

I think it is unfair to compare Trey and Tee's actions to JaMarr's...I know, I know..it's only because I don't like JaMar 

RE: Chase not Practicing - J24 - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 04:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, but the money Chase wants would go a long long way to getting us a Kelce or Jones....

You more than likley have to draft those kinda of players because those guys do not hit free agency. 

RE: Chase not Practicing - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 04:59 PM)J24 Wrote: You more than likley have to draft those kinda of players because those guys do not hit free agency. 

Hopefully we hit on Erick All, he sure looks like a great blocker and we know he can be a gamechanger in the passing game because of his 
tape in college. Injuries have been the only thing holding him back and he is healthy right now. Yah never know, we might of got a top TE.

BTW, the longer this carries on without a Chase extension and people saying he won't play if he doesn't have it, the more I think we might
have to make an example out of him. I wasn't concerned earlier, but him not practicing at all before the opener would be highly immature 
and honestly stupid as it hurts his stock and the team as a whole.

RE: Chase not Practicing - Boomer Anderson - 08-23-2024

Trade Chase to Vikings for Jefferson. Pay Higgins.

RE: Chase not Practicing - Nicomo Cosca - 08-23-2024

Because HoF players are totally easy to find in FA…

RE: Chase not Practicing - jj22 - 08-23-2024

It don’t matter if we draft a Kelce or Jones. We couldn’t afford to keep them once their rookie contracts were up anyway. 

This is a stare down not seen in the jungle in awhile. I’d still pay him. Chase better than Tee so paying Tee over Chase wouldn’t make sense. 

(08-23-2024, 09:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: It don’t matter if we draft a Kelce or Jones. We couldn’t afford to keep them once their rookie contracts were up anyway. 

This is a stare down not seen in the jungle for awhile. I’d still pay him. Chase better than Tee so paying Tee over Chase wouldn’t make sense. 

Sure we can, it's just some don't think we should wait until the rookie contract is "up".

As understand it; if we extend Chase this off-season, then his 5th year is void. So a 4-Yr keeps him here through 2028. If we wait until we can pick up his 5th year option then a 4-Yr allows us to keep him until 2029. 

What other 1st rd WR recently held out/in after year 3 of his rookie deal? I cannot remember what JJ did last pre-season.

RE: Chase not Practicing - NUGDUKWE - 08-23-2024

We just need to pay him. He can score from anywhere on the field and that helps other players. He's also got as good of a connection with Burrow that you could hope your QB and WR can have. I just really feel like Burrow and Chase our are core on offense. All the other pieces can be replaced thru the draft. Just need to have a run of picking good lineman which we seem to have some solid depth right now.

(08-23-2024, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure we can, it's just some don't think we should wait until the rookie contract is "up".

As understand it; if we extend Chase this off-season, then his 5th year is void. So a 4-Yr keeps him here through 2028. If we wait until we can pick up his 5th year option then a 4-Yr allows us to keep him until 2029. 

What other 1st rd WR recently held out/in after year 3 of his rookie deal? I cannot remember what JJ did last pre-season.

You'd pick up his 5th year before he signs making a 6yr deal signed thru 2029 is the way I thought it would be and the way I've seen it reported.

(08-23-2024, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure we can, it's just some don't think we should wait until the rookie contract is "up".

I was looking it up. But I guess we already picked April. 5th year option back in april.

RE: Chase not Practicing - 007BengalsFan - 08-23-2024

The whole claim of give me 160 million but put part of it on my rookie contract years is just a ploy to get paid like Jefferson on the extension years but also get a huge pay raise for the 4th year on rookie contract.  160 million is still 160 million no matter how you divide up the extension.  The difference is Ja'Marr would also get a huge pay increase year 4 that Jefferson didnt get.  Ja'Marr is trying to double dip.

RE: Chase not Practicing - 007BengalsFan - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 10:07 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I was looking it up. But I guess we already picked April. 5th year option back in april.

Ja'Marr is already signed to the Bengals for this year at a 9.8 million cap hit and 2025 (the Bengals 5th year option) at a 21.8 cap hit.  

Assuming the franchise tag jumps from the estimated 24.8 million in 2025 to around 29 million in 2026, The Bengals could easily franchise tag Chase 2 or 3 times.  

2024.......9.8 million  (current contract)
2025......21.8 million  (current contract)
2026......29 million  (estimated franchise tag for 2026)
2027......34.8 million (2nd tag is a automatic 120% increase over 1st tag)
2028.......50 million (3rd tag is automatic 144% increase over 2nd tag)

Just looking at the numbers the Bengals could have Chase on the roster the next 4 years for 95.5 million with nothing guaranteed but the current year.  If they wanted to add a 5th year, they could have Chase the next 5 years for 145.4 million with no guarantee but the current year.  If Chase doesnt like it he can sit out and get fined or he can retire like Carson Palmer and hope someone offers the Bengals several high draft picks or else that's the end of his NFL career.

RE: Chase not Practicing - Soonerpeace - 08-23-2024

(08-23-2024, 10:08 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The whole claim of give me 160 million but put part of it on my rookie contract years is just a ploy to get paid like Jefferson on the extension years but also get a huge pay raise for the 4th year on rookie contract.  160 million is still 160 million no matter how you divide up the extension.  The difference is Ja'Marr would also get a huge pay increase year 4 that Jefferson didnt get.  Ja'Marr is trying to double dip.

This

(08-23-2024, 10:08 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The whole claim of give me 160 million but put part of it on my rookie contract years is just a ploy to get paid like Jefferson on the extension years but also get a huge pay raise for the 4th year on rookie contract.  160 million is still 160 million no matter how you divide up the extension.  The difference is Ja'Marr would also get a huge pay increase year 4 that Jefferson didnt get.  Ja'Marr is trying to double dip.

I'll admit the 4yr 160 million was shocking at first. But all the people that cover the Bengals are all saying pay him. Why? Because Chase is a difference maker. We don't make it to the superbowl without him. That's just the cols hard truth of it. He is 1B face of the franchise. The timing might be a bit unusual but his impact with this team and his connection with Burrow is unusual. Pay him and move on.

RE: Chase not Practicing - NUGDUKWE - 08-24-2024

(08-23-2024, 10:36 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Ja'Marr is already signed to the Bengals for this year at a 9.8 million cap hit and 2025 (the Bengals 5th year option) at a 21.8 cap hit.  

Assuming the franchise tag jumps from the estimated 24.8 million in 2025 to around 29 million in 2026, The Bengals could easily franchise tag Chase 2 or 3 times.  

2024.......9.8 million  (current contract)
2025......21.8 million  (current contract)
2026......29 million  (estimated franchise tag for 2026)
2027......34.8 million (2nd tag is a automatic 120% increase over 1st tag)
2028.......50 million (3rd tag is automatic 144% increase over 2nd tag)

Just looking at the numbers the Bengals could have Chase on the roster the next 4 years for 95.5 million with nothing guaranteed but the current year.  If they wanted to add a 5th year, they could have Chase the next 5 years for 145.4 million with no guarantee but the current year.  If Chase doesnt like it he can sit out and get fined or he can retire like Carson Palmer and hope someone offers the Bengals several high draft picks or else that's the end of his NFL career.

Alright I've been thinking about this and they say a good deal is one all sides should feel like they win. I genuinely believe this deal is a win on all sides.
Chase win:
4yr 160 mil contract gives him title of top WR at time of signing. With 2yrs existing it really becomes a 6yr 190 mil dollar deal. Taking to age 30ish and giving him the security of the only contract he may need because who knows what the future holds for 30 yr old nfl players.
Team win: 
4yr 160 mill seems like a lot. But with the 2yr remaining it not only makes it 6yr 190 mil dollar deal but gives you the years to have some flexibility to push the cap hit around. That new 32 million dollar a year average seems like alot still but the cap has more than doubled since 2011 and that 32 mil a year is merely keeping pace with that. Meaning it's literally the same percentage cap space hit it was in 2011 for a top wr. Leaving room to still pay players at other positions. Also by signing him now they are undoubtedly saving money over waiting it out in the long term.
The fans: 
I think this is a massive fan win right now on paper. You lock up your best WR for the next several years in what may be his last contract. You keep your franchise QB happy and have essentially left open your superbowl window. Also this may help push the Bengals into the future of getting creative with the cap and giving signing bonuses and adding void years to create space.