Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The offense had no chance - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (https://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: The offense had no chance (/thread-39012.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The offense had no chance - casear2727 - 09-10-2024

Bengals had one competent starting WR and ran 95% of their plays out of shotgun.  How truly difficult is this to defend?

This is on Zac, and if Pitcher was onboard with it he wont have to worry about taking the next step to HC any time soon.  

This has to be fixed.

RE: The offense had no chance - WeezyBengal - 09-10-2024

They start out slow every year and then figure it out.

The slow starts need to stop, though.

My theory is (and they will never admit this) is that the underestimated the Pats, played vanilla on offense, and saved a lot of wrinkles and schemes for the Chiefs. That is my hope, anyway. 

RE: The offense had no chance - casear2727 - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They start out slow every year and then figure it out.

Operating out of shotgun every single play is not a good strategy in my opinion.  Why make life so easy on a defense?

RE: The offense had no chance - WeezyBengal - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Operating out of shotgun every single play is not a good strategy in my opinion.  Why make life so easy on a defense?

I mean I agree 100%. 

They found the recipe against the 49ers and beyond last year and they (for some reason) just refuse to continue to do what they did in those games. 

RE: The offense had no chance - XenoMorph - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:00 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Bengals had one competent starting WR and ran 95% of their plays out of shotgun.  How truly difficult is this to defend?

This is on Zac, and if Pitcher was onboard with it he wont have to worry about taking the next step to HC any time soon.  

This has to be fixed.

if they had none vs the patriots they have less so vs the Chiefs

RE: The offense had no chance - Nicomo Cosca - 09-10-2024

Should have seen more of this.

RE: The offense had no chance - TecmoBengals - 09-10-2024

Orlovsky's quote probably sums it up best for many fans:

Quote:I expected different. I expected something to give me something more than catch and throw football. They don't have tight ends that can block in the run game. The timing of their offense is not good. They play spread-out shotgun football and think that they're going to drive down the field 50 plays at four yards a catch. I thought I was going to get something different out of this offense. I know it's one game, but I'm so freaking frustrated watching this offense play football. When all they do is line up in the shotgun and throw four-yard routes.

RE: The offense had no chance - Whatever - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:00 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Bengals had one competent starting WR and ran 95% of their plays out of shotgun.  How truly difficult is this to defend?

This has to be fixed.

Well, league average last year was 83% of plays coming out of shotgun.

The Bengals were in shotgun 44 of 51 plays Sunday, so 86%, close to average.  I mean, Burrow and Hurts have been known to take 95% of the snaps from shotgun, so they are dialing back on it a bit.  

I mean, it is a passing league and most teams operate from shotgun the vast majority of the time because it gives the QB and extra half second to throw, on average.  

RE: The offense had no chance - Nicomo Cosca - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:32 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Orlovsky's quote probably sums it up best for many fans:

They don't have tight ends that can block in the run game.

This is the only part that’s wrong.

RE: The offense had no chance - KillerGoose - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:33 AM)Whatever Wrote: Well, league average last year was 83% of plays coming out of shotgun.

The Bengals were in shotgun 44 of 51 plays Sunday, so 86%, close to average.  I mean, Burrow and Hurts have been known to take 95% of the snaps from shotgun, so they are dialing back on it a bit.  

I mean, it is a passing league and most teams operate from shotgun the vast majority of the time because it gives the QB and extra half second to throw, on average.  

Where are you getting that number? When I look, I see 72%. I have it slowly rising, but not quite in the 80's. 

1. 2020 - 66%
  2. 2021 - 66%
  3. 2022 - 68%
  4. 2023 - 72%

RE: The offense had no chance - RegularGuy22 - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Operating out of shotgun every single play is not a good strategy in my opinion.  Why make life so easy on a defense?

It appears the both Zac and Joe are addicted to the pass game and cannot kick the habit.  

RE: The offense had no chance - bengalfan74 - 09-10-2024

Hallelujah !! In my best 250-person choir voice.

I realize I'm old school and that taints my perception a bit. But I'm fully onboard and understand this isn't 1975 three yards in a cloud of dust days.

But it sure seems to me our scheme and playcalling hands our plays (on a silver platter) waayyyy to much to the opposing D. We rarely fool any D about what's coming.

I hate all the shotgun we run and I DESPISE empty sets! Once or twice a game just to throw a new wrinkle at the D, ok I guess. I was watching SF last night and they had the Jets all out of sorts on many plays. "which way did he go George"?

Why can't we do that? 

RE: The offense had no chance - bengalfan74 - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Should have seen more of this.

For sure

At least way more than they do.

RE: The offense had no chance - Essex Johnson - 09-10-2024

This has to be fixed.

The elephant in the room has been putting Burrow under center, i agree we need more but  the problem multi layered.. it is just not play calling, it is also what Burrow is good at and not good at.  Burrow has rarely been under center in his college and pro career, is adequate at best with play action.. My gut is Burrow wants shotgun as much as ZT does.. i agree they need to go under center more but you wonder who is making that call (ZT or Burrow)

RE: The offense had no chance - Whatever - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:39 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Where are you getting that number? When I look, I see 72%. I have it slowly rising, but not quite in the 80's. 

1. 2020 - 66%
  2. 2021 - 66%
  3. 2022 - 68%
  4. 2023 - 72%

"The shotgun formation was a novelty instead of the norm. In today's NFL, over 83 percent of all offensive snaps come with the quarterback in some form of shotgun formation. Some quarterbacks, notably Jalen Hurts and Joe Burrow, take over 95 percent of their snaps in the shotgun."

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/15/jared-goff-under-center-shotgun-passing-stat-splits-percentages/

RE: The offense had no chance - PCB Bengal Fan - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 12:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: "The shotgun formation was a novelty instead of the norm. In today's NFL, over 83 percent of all offensive snaps come with the quarterback in some form of shotgun formation. Some quarterbacks, notably Jalen Hurts and Joe Burrow, take over 95 percent of their snaps in the shotgun."

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/15/jared-goff-under-center-shotgun-passing-stat-splits-percentages/

I hate the shotgun all the time. If you're gonna be in the shotgun all the time it should be a no-huddle offense then.

RE: The offense had no chance - RegularGuy22 - 09-10-2024

And it appears that their refusal to adapt or adjust or change is what causes them to be so predictable. The league is on to them, they aren't fooling any defense anymore. The SB year they were the news kids on the field but the league quickly caught up and here we are.

RE: The offense had no chance - jason - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 12:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hallelujah !! In my best 250-person choir voice.

I realize I'm old school and that taints my perception a bit. But I'm fully onboard and understand this isn't 1975 three yards in a cloud of dust days.

But it sure seems to me our scheme and playcalling hands our plays (on a silver platter) waayyyy to much to the opposing D. We rarely fool any D about what's coming.

I hate all the shotgun we run and I DESPISE empty sets! Once or twice a game just to throw a new wrinkle at the D, ok I guess. I was watching SF last night and they had the Jets all out of sorts on many plays. "which way did he go George"?

Why can't we do that? 

Hell the passing game is 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

RE: The offense had no chance - chopperbobby - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 12:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hallelujah !! In my best 250-person choir voice.

Why can't we do that? 
very good coach. Vs. average coach

RE: The offense had no chance - Brownshoe - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 11:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They start out slow every year and then figure it out.

My theory is (and they will never admit this) is that the underestimated the Pats, played vanilla on offense, and saved a lot of wrinkles and schemes for the Chiefs. That is my hope, anyway. 

They 100% MASSIVELY  underestimated the pats. Taylor said he thought we would go up 21-0 against them.