Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August Game Thread 2024
Julian Aguiar to make MLB debut tonight called up to take Greene's spot.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
And Bell pulls him after 4, THEN we score 4 more runs to take the lead, keeping this kid from possibly winning his MLB debut. I just don’t get this guy. /facepalm
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2024, 09:48 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: And Bell pulls him after 4, THEN we score 4 more runs to take the lead, keeping this kid from possibly winning his MLB debut. I just don’t get this guy. /facepalm

Most likely a predetermined IP/pitch count.
Reply/Quote
Hits just keep on coming. Candelario placed on 10 day IL with left great toe fracture. Rosario is with team and on active roster.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/08/jeimer-candelario-placed-on-injured-list-with-toe-fracture.html
Reply/Quote
This season is pretty much cooked.  They give false hope regularly, but the offensive droughts over protracted stretches coupled with Bell's awful decisions are a trend at this point.  

I'd sit Greene for the year even if the elbow seems okay.  He's too important to risk losing when you're 3 games below 500 in late-ish August.  He's thrown a lot of pitches anyway.  If it were a pennant race scenario, then the juice might be worth the squeeze, but it's not.  I'd shut Lodolo down, too if he makes it to September.  It's time to start thinking about 2025.  Decisions here can have a big impact.  When your strength is young arms, you manage them accordingly.  Both guys are entering their primes and could anchor a real monster rotation if healthy next year.

I'll enjoy the remainder of the season on TV and hope against historical odds that this joke ownership group has the guts to provide the roster with what it needs this offseason.  The first is a real manager, which I think is a semi-probable outcome.  The second is a no-bullshit proven RH power bat (broken record here).  Doesn't have to be a 5-tool beast.  It could even be a DH type of guy.  They simply have to get some real middle of the order pop to supplement what they have.  

An inning eater for the rotation might not be a terrible idea, but not at the expense of the RH bat.  

2025-26 is now or never IMO.  It's where the rebuild verdict comes in.  Let's hope the act like they care.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2024, 06:03 PM)samhain Wrote: This season is pretty much cooked.  They give false hope regularly, but the offensive droughts over protracted stretches coupled with Bell's awful decisions are a trend at this point.  

I'd sit Greene for the year even if the elbow seems okay.  He's too important to risk losing when you're 3 games below 500 in late-ish August.  He's thrown a lot of pitches anyway.  If it were a pennant race scenario, then the juice might be worth the squeeze, but it's not.  I'd shut Lodolo down, too if he makes it to September.  It's time to start thinking about 2025.  Decisions here can have a big impact.  When your strength is young arms, you manage them accordingly.  Both guys are entering their primes and could anchor a real monster rotation if healthy next year.

I'll enjoy the remainder of the season on TV and hope against historical odds that this joke ownership group has the guts to provide the roster with what it needs this offseason.  The first is a real manager, which I think is a semi-probable outcome.  The second is a no-bullshit proven RH power bat (broken record here).  Doesn't have to be a 5-tool beast.  It could even be a DH type of guy.  They simply have to get some real middle of the order pop to supplement what they have.  

An inning eater for the rotation might not be a terrible idea, but not at the expense of the RH bat.  

2025-26 is now or never IMO.  It's where the rebuild verdict comes in.  Let's hope the act like they care.

100% for sure ThumbsUp It's now or never with this current roster rebuild. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All that’s left now is to see what Elly finishes with. That 60th stolen base has been quite elusive all of a sudden. I believe he’s now at 11 consecutive games without a steal (longest of his young career). Part of it is he’s been in a bit of a slump, and the other part is the rest of the team has been absolutely terrible even when he does get on. But he’s definitely hit a bit of wall. Which is understandable for a guy his age playing in his first full MLB season.

If/when he does get that 60th stolen base he’ll become only the 5th player in MLB history to have 20 HR’s and 60 SB’s in a season. And the first player to ever do it before the age of 23. Quite an accomplishment no matter what else happens.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2024, 10:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If/when he does get that 60th stolen base he’ll become only the 5th player in MLB history to have 20 HR’s and 60 SB’s in a season. And the first player to ever do it before the age of 23. Quite an accomplishment no matter what else happens.

20/60 is impressive regardless, but I don't love the whole "history" comparison. They completely and intentionally changed the whole running game to make stealing bases so much easier. Larger bases, can't block the bases, closer bases, limited disengagements, and a pitch clock all make stealing bases much easier.

It was a pretty stark line, of rules changing and stolen bases increasing, too. Not even gradual. The last two years there's been a ~50% increase in stolen bases per game league-wide, with pretty much the same amount of caught stealing per game.

Ronald Acuna Jr led 2019 in SB with 37 of them. Then in 2023, 4 years older and an ACL tear later he leads 2023 in SB with 73, becoming the first player in MLB history to go 30-60 and the first to go 40-60.

Hell, 30-year-old Jesse Winker has a chance at 20 SB this year (at 14) and in the 6 years prior to the rule changes he had 3 SB/3 CS in his career.

The top 3 SB of 2023 were 73, 67, and 54. There were 6 guys with 40+ SB, 18 with 30+ SB, and 51 with 20+ SB.
-Rule Changes-
The top 3 SB of 2022 were 41, 35, and 34. There was 1 guy with 40+ SB, 6 with 30+ SB, and 24 with 20+ SB.
The top 3 SB of 2021 were 47, 40, and 32. There were 2 guys with 40+ SB, 6 with 30+ SB, and 19 with 20+ SB.

I'm sure Billy Hamilton is sitting somewhere wishing he was born a decade later. It wouldn't have made him suddenly able to hit his way out of a wet paper bag, but he had 50+ steals in 4 straight seasons with the old rules. I feel like 80+ would have been a breeze for him, and he'd have made a lot more money because of it.

- - - - - - -

I feel like SB right now are going to just be what counting stats are going to be for the NFL with 17 and soon to be 18 games happening. We're going to get 2k WRs and 5k QBs pretty frequently, the sack record will almost certainly be broken with 2 extra games to do it in, and they're going to toss around "history" then too without context.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 04:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 20/60 is impressive regardless, but I don't love the whole "history" comparison. They completely and intentionally changed the whole running game to make stealing bases so much easier. Larger bases, can't block the bases, closer bases, limited disengagements, and a pitch clock all make stealing bases much easier.

It was a pretty stark line, of rules changing and stolen bases increasing, too. Not even gradual. The last two years there's been a ~50% increase in stolen bases per game league-wide, with pretty much the same amount of caught stealing per game.

Ronald Acuna Jr led 2019 in SB with 37 of them. Then in 2023, 4 years older and an ACL tear later he leads 2023 in SB with 73, becoming the first player in MLB history to go 30-60 and the first to go 40-60.

Hell, 30-year-old Jesse Winker has a chance at 20 SB this year (at 14) and in the 6 years prior to the rule changes he had 3 SB/3 CS in his career.

The top 3 SB of 2023 were 73, 67, and 54. There were 6 guys with 40+ SB, 18 with 30+ SB, and 51 with 20+ SB.
-Rule Changes-
The top 3 SB of 2022 were 41, 35, and 34. There was 1 guy with 40+ SB, 6 with 30+ SB, and 24 with 20+ SB.
The top 3 SB of 2021 were 47, 40, and 32. There were 2 guys with 40+ SB, 6 with 30+ SB, and 19 with 20+ SB.

I'm sure Billy Hamilton is sitting somewhere wishing he was born a decade later. It wouldn't have made him suddenly able to hit his way out of a wet paper bag, but he had 50+ steals in 4 straight seasons with the old rules. I feel like 80+ would have been a breeze for him, and he'd have made a lot more money because of it.

- - - - - - -

I feel like SB right now are going to just be what counting stats are going to be for the NFL with 17 and soon to be 18 games happening. We're going to get 2k WRs and 5k QBs pretty frequently, the sack record will almost certainly be broken with 2 extra games to do it in, and they're going to toss around "history" then too without context.

It’s obviously always tough to compare different eras in any sport. But for it being so much easier to steal in baseball these days Elly sure does have a hell of a lead (no pun intended) on the guy who currently has the 2nd most (Ohtani with 38).

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 08:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s obviously always tough to compare different eras in any sport. But for it being so much easier to steal in baseball these days Elly sure does have a hell of a lead (no pun intended) on the guy who currently has the 2nd most (Ohtani with 38).

Which is his career high in his age 29 season (and only 4 CS). His previous career high was 26 SB (with 10 CS) in '21.

Again, 41 was the MLB SB lead in 2022, so Ohtani turns 29 and "suddenly" becomes "capable" of stealing more bases than anyone in 2022 could.

I'm not saying EDLC couldn't have led the league in SB in 2022 if the current him played then. I am just saying he'd finish in the 40s, not the 60s.

Reply/Quote
Martinez serving up baked taters tonight. What’s been up with all the HRs we’ve been giving up lately? Is the pitching staff taking instruction from the hitting coach now too?! ?
Reply/Quote
Wow they come off the mat down 6-0 and lead 7-6!
Reply/Quote
Marte and India back-to-back HR’s. Crazy game.

Reply/Quote

Pretty cool 3 out of the 5 have been Reds.

Reply/Quote
Reds sign Dominic Smith to a major league deal. A move will need to be made to put him on the 40 man.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/08/reds-to-sign-dominic-smith.html
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Pretty cool 3 out of the 5 have been Reds.

Sweet

Elly is to this Reds team what C. Dillon was to many 90's early 00's Bengals teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 04:34 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Reds sign Dominic Smith to a major league deal. A move will need to be made to put him on the 40 man.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/08/reds-to-sign-dominic-smith.html

Brooks Kriske DFA'd to open a spot for Smith and Fraley to 10 day IL with right knee sprain to open an active roster spot for Smith.
Reply/Quote
Lodolo going tonight

It matters not for this season. But I would like to see him not get broke down like a pup tent tonight.
Reply/Quote
This home plate ump has a crazy wide strike zone tonight. There's almost no way someone doesn't get tossed if this keeps up.
Reply/Quote
I wish there was a way to know how many times the Reds have been picked off this year. Has to be so damn many. Just sloppy baserunning. EDLC has a mountain of them, normally followed by Steer getting a hit.

Reply/Quote