Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August Game Thread 2024
(08-22-2024, 08:06 PM)cinci4life Wrote: This home plate ump has a crazy wide strike zone tonight. There's almost no way someone doesn't get tossed if this keeps up.

Yeah, this is a really next-level bad zone.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
Marte is horrible at 3rd base, how do you not get that guy out at 2nd base on a run down, what an idiot.
Reply/Quote
All should be unearned runs, Lodolo should furious in the dugout. Bell and his great game management with pitching changes, bites us in the ass again.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 09:07 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Marte is horrible at 3rd base, how do you not get that guy out at 2nd base on a run down, what an idiot.

This is actually on EDLC. He should have thrown to first instead of trying to backhand flip. His momentum was already going that way.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 09:12 PM)cinci4life Wrote: This is actually on EDLC. He should have thrown to first instead of trying to backhand flip. His momentum was already going that way.

I thought it was a fast runner and EDLC would have had to do a spin to throw to 1st.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 09:24 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: I thought it was a fast runner and EDLC would have had to do a spin to throw to 1st.

Yes it was a fast runner but no he wouldn't have to spin throw. It would have been an off balance throw but his only real shot especially with his cannon of an arm.
Reply/Quote
Nice debut for Rhett Lowder in AAA tonight at least.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 12:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nice debut for Rhett Lowder in AAA tonight at least.

At least there's something good. 
Reply/Quote
Abbott got DL'd.  Left shoulder strain.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 05:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Abbott got DL'd.  Left shoulder strain.

Guess that explains why Buck Farmer is listed as the starter tonight.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 05:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Abbott got DL'd.  Left shoulder strain.

Blech.

This is what happens when you train your starters to go less than 5 innings per start in the minors. Also doesn't help that the Reds have an obsession with drafting relief pitchers to be starters.

Hunter Greene: 4 innings per game in the minors
Nick Lodolo: 3.1 innings per game in the minors
Andrew Abbott: Relief pitcher for most of college, 4.2 innings per game in the minors

Reds: "Why do we have such bad luck with injuries and our starters can never finish strong?"

- - - - - -
Meanwhile in the past...
Bronson Arroyo: Threw 135.2 innings (5.1 per game) as a 19-year-old in minors, threw 160.1 innings (6.2 per game) as a 20-year-old in minors.
Johnny Cueto: Threw 138 innings (5.1 per game) as a 20-year-old in minors, threw 161.1 innings (5.2 per game) as a 21-year-old in minors.

If guys aren't coming up training, conditioning, and practicing to pitch 6+ innings every start for a whole season, they'll almost certainly be able to just magically and suddenly do it in the majors.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 09:12 PM)cinci4life Wrote: This is actually on EDLC. He should have thrown to first instead of trying to backhand flip. His momentum was already going that way.

100% on EDLC. Boneheaded move by Marte, for sure, I won't dismiss that, but Lodolo got flat out hosed. He was tagged with five runs and that play should have ended it with none on the board. When it's finally time to show off his strong arm, he tries to be cute. I don't care what anyone says, he's a right fielder playing shortstop because the Reds suck and Bell doesn't have the balls to make the decision.

If he was coming up to a good team, he would play wherever they put him. India was a 3rd baseman in college and in the minor leagues. He had an unexpected hot Spring and then suddenly it was "Can you play 2nd base?" because they weren't going to move Suarez from 3rd. Elly's leading the league in physical errors and I'm guessing that he's leading the league in mental errors as well. What's the point in celebrating the balls that he can get to when he makes so many poor decisions when he does get to the ball?

But yeah, let's trade for a corner outfielder. I truly view it as if the Reds are playing a thinner, faster Yasiel Puig at short. 

And speaking of newly acquired corner outfielders, horrible positioning by Rosario on the three run double by Brian De La Cruz. He was too shallow and the ball STILL should have been caught. He gave up on it too soon. He moved like he was super stoned out on that play. I really hope that Herd Of Bees learns how to hit in Winter ball.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
NL get the DH and the Reds use it on a .200 AVG/.556 OPS guy to be in the lineup batting 9th.

Reply/Quote
Wonder if the about injury means that we get a glimpse of Lowder vs MLB hitter in September.

This was a tough season to watch, but a taste of the rotation in waiting might make the offseason a bit less excruciating.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Espinal getting throw out on the bases twice was an appeal towards David Bell to give him more playing time "look, I can make dumb outs on the bases too! Play me more!"

Ninja

- - - - - -
2 outs, runners on 1st and 3rd, and EDLC at bat and I just didn't have any faith he'd come through.

I don't know if guys can become more clutch with experience or if they're just born that way, but EDLC's career so far...
2 out & RISP: .177 BA
Late & Close: .158 BA

And he's gotten worse, not better. His 2024....
2 out & RISP: .136 BA
Late & Close: .148 BA

Has shown himself to be the anti-clutch thus far. The things he does well are so exciting and flashy, but there's just so many fundamental things he is atrocious at.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 06:39 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: 100% on EDLC. Boneheaded move by Marte, for sure, I won't dismiss that, but Lodolo got flat out hosed. He was tagged with five runs and that play should have ended it with none on the board. When it's finally time to show off his strong arm, he tries to be cute. I don't care what anyone says, he's a right fielder playing shortstop because the Reds suck and Bell doesn't have the balls to make the decision.

If he was coming up to a good team, he would play wherever they put him. India was a 3rd baseman in college and in the minor leagues. He had an unexpected hot Spring and then suddenly it was "Can you play 2nd base?" because they weren't going to move Suarez from 3rd. Elly's leading the league in physical errors and I'm guessing that he's leading the league in mental errors as well. What's the point in celebrating the balls that he can get to when he makes so many poor decisions when he does get to the ball?

But yeah, let's trade for a corner outfielder. I truly view it as if the Reds are playing a thinner, faster Yasiel Puig at short. 

And speaking of newly acquired corner outfielders, horrible positioning by Rosario on the three run double by Brian De La Cruz. He was too shallow and the ball STILL should have been caught. He gave up on it too soon. He moved like he was super stoned out on that play. I really hope that Herd Of Bees learns how to hit in Winter ball.

1,000 percent agree

I'm so hoping 1. We get a new manager next season. 2. He puts Elly in RF or even CF where he needs to be. 3. We address the pitching staff
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2024, 02:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wonder if Espinal getting throw out on the bases twice was an appeal towards David Bell to give him more playing time "look, I can make dumb outs on the bases too! Play me more!"  

Ninja

- - - - - -
2 outs, runners on 1st and 3rd, and EDLC at bat and I just didn't have any faith he'd come through.

I don't know if guys can become more clutch with experience or if they're just born that way, but EDLC's career so far...
2 out & RISP: .177 BA
Late & Close: .158 BA

And he's gotten worse, not better. His 2024....
2 out & RISP: .136 BA
Late & Close: .148 BA

Has shown himself to be the anti-clutch thus far. The things he does well are so exciting and flashy, but there's just so many fundamental things he is atrocious at.

I said the same thing.

It's easy to see he has the potential to be an all time great. And I get it he's still very young. Every game that goes by though I feel what he really needs is some stronger/better coaching.
Reply/Quote
With Abbott and Greene out right now, the Reds 5 games under .500, and 7.5 games out of the WC with only 33 games left in the season, it's time to throw in the towel on any playoff hopes.

Let's get a couple of these promising prospects called up for the last month of the season and get them some MLB experience in prep for next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The pitcher that gave up the 4 runs, aided by a bad throw from France,, showed why he's a career minor leaguer. I won't bother to learn his name, I just know that it starts with "Boo!"

When 95% of your pitches are on the outside part of the plate, you are telling everyone in the league that you already know that you don't have good enough stuff. Greg Maddux wasn't blowing anyone away, but he still owned that entire plate, up, down, in and out. You could see Pirate hitters diving into his pitches because they caught on very quickly . . . "If he does throw an inside pitch, just take it because he's going right back outside again with his next three or four. Pick out one that you like."
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Red's prospect 3B Cam Collier hit 3 HR's for Dayton last night.
Reply/Quote