Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
(08-23-2024, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Guys that I noticed watching the 1st half of the 2nd game and most of last night's game:
- Burton may end up becoming the WR3 at some point this season. I think they're gonna give Iosivas that opportunity first though. But Burton proved he can make an impact.
- Matt Lee will definitely make the team, maybe even become C2. Potential future starter after Karras' contract is up?
- Trayveon Williams showed he deserves some snaps this season. Dude was about the only true bright spot in the running game. I honestly don't think there was another backup RB worthy of making the roster though.
- The TE roster battle will be fun to watch. Honestly, all 5 deserve to be on a 53. I'd roll with 3 RBs, 5 TEs with 1-2 RBs ready on the PS to call up if an injury occurs.
- Dax Hill I think will be the starting outside CB opposite CTB. He has shown enough for me this preseason.
- Meta might make it as the 5th LB, despite some of his athletic limitations.
- With the injury to Cam Sample, I think Cedric Johnson gets the last DE spot - Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, Ossai, Johnson.
- I think they'll keep 5 DTs - Hill, Rankins, Jenkins, Carter, Jackson.
- Carman gets cut.

Spot on
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Guys that I noticed watching the 1st half of the 2nd game and most of last night's game:
- Burton may end up becoming the WR3 at some point this season. I think they're gonna give Iosivas that opportunity first though. But Burton proved he can make an impact.

He's in competition with Charlie Jones to be our #5 right now, no? Both Iosivas and Irwin seem to be ahead of him. Meanwhile your #5 WR needs to play special teams, and Charlie Jones got return work in Week 3 with a 48 yard kick return. Even offensively in the first half of Week 3 Charlie Jones had 3 receiving yards to Burton's 0 and Burton did all his damage against the Colt's 3rd string defense in the 2nd half. I think Burton is more at risk of being inactive on gameday than being our #3.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
I've seen it mentioned a couple places Charlie Jones still isn't picking up the slot and I expect it's a similar situation with Jermaine Burton having to learn a couple different spots as a rookie in camp.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: - The TE roster battle will be fun to watch. Honestly, all 5 deserve to be on a 53. I'd roll with 3 RBs, 5 TEs with 1-2 RBs ready on the PS to call up if an injury occurs.

What do you mean will be?!?! It's been the best position battle all camp lol. Erick All has looked really good I just wish they had given him more F receiver reps instead of subbing in Hudson on for those concepts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I expect them to add a NT to cover for Jackson. Njongmeta makes the roster at LB. I also expect Carman is released / traded. Not sure we keep 5 TE. RBs we usually keep 4 - Moss, Brown and Williams speak for three of those slots. Not sure who they slot in at RB4 - I had Noah Cain as a possibility but he only got snaps this last game.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 12:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I disagree. Matt Lee shined. Meta looks like a potential find. Both rookie TE’s have flashed. Newton had a nice INT. Cedric Johnson and Kris Jenkins both had sacks, etc.

Yeah, I'm happy that Jenkins has started to come on
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 02:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's in competition with Charlie Jones to be our #5 right now, no? Both Iosivas and Irwin seem to be ahead of him. Meanwhile your #5 WR needs to play special teams, and Charlie Jones got return work in Week 3 with a 48 yard kick return. Even offensively in the first half of Week 3 Charlie Jones had 3 receiving yards to Burton's 0 and Burton did all his damage against the Colt's 3rd string defense in the 2nd half. I think Burton is more at risk of being inactive on gameday than being our #3.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere, but I read that he's been sleeping in meetings. Hence, why he hasn't been getting on the field earlier. Supposedly, that was a point of conversation with Herbstreit and the announcers. Super talented but needs to mature. High bust potential, unfortunately. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 02:40 PM)Synric Wrote: What do you mean will be?!?! It's been the best position battle all camp lol. Erick All has looked really good I just wish they had given him more F receiver reps instead of subbing in Hudson on for those concepts.

All's blocking was outstanding last night
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 02:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: I expect them to add a NT to cover for Jackson. Njongmeta makes the roster at LB.  I also expect Carman is released / traded. Not sure we keep 5 TE. RBs we usually keep 4  - Moss, Brown and Williams speak for three of those slots. Not sure who they slot in at RB4 - I had Noah Cain as a possibility but he only got snaps this last game.

I hope not.  I like the whole room.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 02:40 PM)Synric Wrote: What do you mean will be?!?! It's been the best position battle all camp lol. Erick All has looked really good I just wish they had given him more F receiver reps instead of subbing in Hudson on for those concepts.

Yes, really impressed with the TE's, especially All and McLachlan.

(08-23-2024, 02:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: I expect them to add a NT to cover for Jackson. Njongmeta makes the roster at LB.  I also expect Carman is released / traded. Not sure we keep 5 TE. RBs we usually keep 4  - Moss, Brown and Williams speak for three of those slots. Not sure who they slot in at RB4 - I had Noah Cain as a possibility but he only got snaps this last game.

Both Carman and Noah Cain were just waived.
Reply/Quote

Sorry, I should have said the actual cutdown will be fun to watch. The battle up to this point has been good.
I'm really to see which of the TEs (if any) get cut.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Cain got touches multiple games.

Last night, he got 3 carries for 3 yards (not good when Williams had 6 YPC). He still got more touches than Collins though.
Last week, he got 10 touches for 38 yards. Same number of touches as Collins, but slightly better production (38 vs 36 yards).

I'm leaning Cain over Collins on the depth chart, but neither was overly impressive to justify a spot over a 5th TE, IMO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 02:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's in competition with Charlie Jones to be our #5 right now, no? Both Iosivas and Irwin seem to be ahead of him. Meanwhile your #5 WR needs to play special teams, and Charlie Jones got return work in Week 3 with a 48 yard kick return. Even offensively in the first half of Week 3 Charlie Jones had 3 receiving yards to Burton's 0 and Burton did all his damage against the Colt's 3rd string defense in the 2nd half. I think Burton is more at risk of being inactive on gameday than being our #3.

By me saying he could potentially become the WR3 at some point this season doesn't mean I'm saying he's WR4 right now.
He very well might start out WR6 and inactive on gamedays if he isn't good enough on ST.
Irwin and Jones will be in on ST if active.
Yes, it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but Burton was the most productive WR in preseason for the Bengals by a mile.
3-82-1 in Game 1.
1-19-0 in Game 2.
4-56-1 in Game 3.
----------------------------
8-157-2 (19.6 YPR)

Whichever other WRs end up getting offensive snaps over him better do well because Burton could (or should) be lickin his chops ready for that opportunity.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 06:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: By me saying he could potentially become the WR3 at some point this season doesn't mean I'm saying he's WR4 right now.
He very well might start out WR6 and inactive on gamedays if he isn't good enough on ST.
Yes, it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but Burton was the most productive WR in preseason for the Bengals by a mile.
3-82-1 in Game 1.
1-19-0 in Game 2.
4-56-1 in Game 3.
8-157-2 (19.6 YPR)

Whichever other WRs end up getting offensive snaps over him better do well because Burton could (or should) be lickin his chops ready for that opportunity.

Burton will make the roster and suit up. He will play in the first game situationally and probably run that same play to the corner he’s scored on. They are grooming him maturation wise. Not suiting up won’t help that process as he’ll likely pout.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 03:33 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere, but I read that he's been sleeping in meetings. Hence, why he hasn't been getting on the field earlier. Supposedly, that was a point of conversation with Herbstreit and the announcers. Super talented but needs to mature. High bust potential, unfortunately. 

It was mentioned that they are unsure of this was in college or with the Bengals, or if it actually ever happened. When Al Micheals made the comment he said it jokingly, so who knows?

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 08:33 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: The bengals had the most productive offense against the 49ers all season last year.  That 4 game sample size with healthy burrow and was awesome.  70%+ completion, around 300 YPG passing, 9-2 TD/int ratio. Looking at around a 5000 yard season, lead league in tds.

Mixon added 3 tds on the ground.

From a PPG basis that comes out To just around 25 PPG, a little less.  Would have been good for 7th best overall.

Long story short, it was a bad year all around from the word go.  Injuries derailed the season in July.  

New year, different outcome.

This^... when our offense was healthy during that stretch it was the best in the NFL, but some fans are dumb and totally unaware.  They project this coming season to be a failure because our 2nds, 3rds and 4th teamers went 0-3 in the preseason.   We have a couple posters here who post erroneous negative comments way too often and have no idea how embarrassingly uninformed and pathetically they come across, which destroys any credibility they might have had.

Reply/Quote
- Matt Lee will definitely make the team, maybe even become C2. Potential future starter after Karras' contract is up?
- Trayveon Williams showed he deserves some snaps this season. Dude was about the only true bright spot in the running game. I honestly don't think there was another backup RB worthy of making the roster though.
- The TE roster battle will be fun to watch. Honestly, all 5 deserve to be on a 53. I'd roll with 3 RBs, 5 TEs with 1-2 RBs ready on the PS to call up if an injury occurs.
- Dax Hill I think will be the starting outside CB opposite CTB. He has shown enough for me this preseason.
- Meta might make it as the 5th LB, despite some of his athletic limitations.
- With the injury to Cam Sample, I think Cedric Johnson gets the last DE spot - Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, Ossai, Johnson.
- I think they'll keep 5 DTs - Hill, Rankins, Jenkins, Carter, Jackson.
- Carman gets cut.

I see Jackson to IR and Tufele making the roster.  He is the only healthy true NT we have right now and he has played well this preseason.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 07:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It was mentioned that they are unsure of this was in college or with the Bengals, or if it actually ever happened. When Al Micheals made the comment he said it jokingly, so who knows?

Right on! I didn't see any evidence to back it up either. It was mentioned in something I read this morning, but it didn't necessarily have any legs. This kid has nice potential so I hope he gets focused on his future and continues to flash. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 07:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It was mentioned that they are unsure of this was in college or with the Bengals, or if it actually ever happened. When Al Micheals made the comment he said it jokingly, so who knows?

I kinda believe it just for the fact that he hasn't been getting a lot of first team reps and not as much time in preseason as I thought. Maybe I'm wrong though
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 06:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: By me saying he could potentially become the WR3 at some point this season doesn't mean I'm saying he's WR4 right now.
3-82-1 in Game 1.
1-19-0 in Game 2.
4-56-1 in Game 3.
8-157-2 (19.6 YPR)

[Image: hi-res-152310389_crop_north.jpg?13549874...072&h=2048]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote