Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
I'll say this about Burton. I hope he has/soon will mature into an upstanding young man who is 100% dedicated to his craft. but if he does not and character leads to his downfall, Housh better not ever show his face in Paycor again.
There were a ton of Red Flags about this kid coming into the draft, but TJ said he "fixed him".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Idk what yall talkin about. If Burton sleeps in meetings or not he’s playing
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2024, 06:27 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Herbie lives in Cincy. I bet he heard it from someone with the Bengals. I don’t think the comment if said to Al & Herbie was mean spirited. Probably more that he’s a knot head and just needs to mature. Saban told us that on draft night. And knot head and hard worker can be mutually exclusive. Saban said in the field he was great.

My guess is Al Michaels and Kirk Herbstreit heard it during their production meetings with the Bengals during the week. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
And somebody who knows about this kind of stuff I just got off the phone with said if Burton fell asleep in a team meeting then he’s got company most days. I think it’s a nothing burger. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have some maturity issues.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2024, 02:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And somebody who knows about this kind of stuff I  just got off the phone with said if Burton fell asleep in a team meeting then he’s got company most days. I think it’s a nothing burger. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have some maturity issues.

This.

All I know is the guy is extremely explosive and has great hands. Putting Burton in there with Chase and Tee is like adding Nitro to dynamite.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 11:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: So does Tyreek Hill. See I can do it too!

John Ross gotta be mentioned everytime there's an opportunity. hehe... its a shame Tyrek Hill was not a bengal, I think they were both from the same generation.. or close by.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2024, 01:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: To further expand on this, it's really late draft pick/CFA/waiver claim+insane hype+poor production=Binns comparisons.

It's kind of an offshoot of the fact that the majority of  board members prefer a "trenches first" team building philosophy, which is fine, but then fall back on "I think X we took in the 6th round last year is going to be a plus starter" as a way to defend not addressing skill positions on offense in their mock off-seasons and drafts.  Since it's kind of a yearly thing, it falls back to Binns comparisons.

Ironically, I don't recall us being very WR poor during Binns' brief tenure.  He just got overhyped because he was a UC guy, imo.

Prior to that 2012 Binns season, Marvin Jones hasn't emerged yet, and Sanu was a rookie too. I also wanna say that Sanu was injured to start that season? It seems to me that it was AJ Green plus some guys as the WR corps.

Also I think we're gonna see what a pretty big luxury it was to have Tyler Boyd as our number 3. I don't think anybody on this roster is ready to match his production.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 03:02 PM)jason Wrote: Prior to that 2012 Binns season, Marvin Jones hasn't emerged yet, and Sanu was a rookie too. I also wanna say that Sanu was injured to start that season? It seems to me that it was AJ Green plus some guys as the WR corps.

Also I think we're gonna see what a pretty big luxury it was to have Tyler Boyd as our number 3. I don't think anybody on this roster is ready to match his production.

Boyd was solid, but between Burton, Iosivas, Irwin and Charlie Jones I think we should be more than fine putting up that production.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 03:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boyd was solid, but between Burton, Iosivas, Irwin and Charlie Jones I think we should be more than fine putting up that production.

I agree.  As much as I like what Boyd has done as a Bengal, it was time to move on.  He didnt perform as well the last couple of seasons.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 04:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I agree.  As much as I like what Boyd has done as a Bengal, it was time to move on.  He didnt perform as well the last couple of seasons.

Boyd had some memorable plays for sure, but he also dropped some TD passes, and his terrible play in the SB may have cost us a ring, and Im not talking about that drop.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 04:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I agree.  As much as I like what Boyd has done as a Bengal, it was time to move on.  He didnt perform as well the last couple of seasons.

Yep, Boyd even started dropping the ball last year a bit which was a bad sign. One thing about Burton, he doesn't drop balls, dude has 
fantastic hands and so do Charlie Jones and Irwin. But Burton is just so talented I find it hard to believe if he gets his shot that he
won't put up big numbers being the 3rd guy along with Chase and Tee, not even mentioning Yoshi who is much improved in catching
the ball this year.

I think if anything, we are better at Receiver this season than last.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, Boyd even started dropping the ball last year a bit which was a bad sign. One thing about Burton, he doesn't drop balls, dude has 
fantastic hands and so do Charlie Jones and Irwin. But Burton is just so talented I find it hard to believe if he gets his shot that he
won't put up big numbers being the 3rd guy along with Chase and Tee, not even mentioning Yoshi who is much improved in catching
the ball this year.

I think if anything, we are better at Receiver this season than last.

It's odd because Boyd was so solid catching the ball earlier in his career.

I wonder if his ego was effected by being surpassed by 2 wideouts that were more talented.
Maybe it made him lose confidence in his clutchness.
He was clutch early.

Burton--to me--reaks of clutchness. He has a mindset about him that the ball is his and his technique is great.
He's a workaholic too that wants to figure it out.

Honestly, I think Burton could be better than Tee.
Tee gets called for PI at times so if Burton can be that WR that is on the other end of the spectrum in buying calls, we could win huge.

I think my best comp for him is Beckham although I haven't seen him make the one handed catches.
They both seem to have a similar build and speed/agility about them.
Sure-handedness as well.

He's going to be his own receiver. 
I think Burton has top 10 WR potential.
Reply/Quote
Kinda crazy this is only at 16 pages

If Burton is good like we think he could open the door to the Super Bowl. I’m actually disgusted we’ve let his preseason standing on the depth chart convince us he’s not an X-factor this season.

With that said i watched alot of Burton’s tape and i have to be a Debbie downer.

If you peg a guy as WR4, deep ball guru, he has to get SEPARATION.

I’m ngl guys, Burton has everything a WR needs and even w/o what is going to address, he’d still likely end up as a solid WR2…but…..

It’s obvious why he hasn’t climbed the depth chart this offseason and it’s cause he gets almost no separation on his deep balls. I watched every preseason snap and i feel confident this can be fixed. Burton for whatever reason has no ability to trick DBs at the LOS. He has no separation because of FOOTWORK. The good thing about Burton is his ball in the air skills are elite, his hands are above average. So even if his LOS false moves are TRASH, he could still be a 1000 yard WR if he started on another team.

To me this is insane upside and i get why he lasted so long. It wasn’t just because of character issues but because he had holes in his game that would force you to forgo him in the 1st two rounds.

The good thing for us his mental are off the chart and he was smart enough to enlist TJ Houshmandzadeh as his trainer. Housh was a GOD at the LOS. The other good thing is Burton is a sponge for WR data. If Jordan Shipley comes to practice to help one day, Burton is the type of kid to ask Shipley how he was so good his rookie year.

When i go over these factors it’s obvious why we drafted him. If he works on his release he’ll be a GOD at WR and I’m not joking. He literally has everything else the position asks for besides blocking.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I think Burton has a high risk of being our next Chris Henry. Not saying he's gonna die, rather he has all the tangibles to be great but can't get out of his own way when it comes to anything besides catching a ball.
Reply/Quote
FWIW he completely denied the sleeping thing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/cincinnati-bengals-rookie-wide-receiver-jermaine-burton-shuts-down-accusation-of-sleeping-through-meetings-01j6f4zschxj

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 10:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Burton has a high risk of being our next Chris Henry. Not saying he's gonna die, rather he has all the tangibles to be great but can't get out of his own way when it comes to anything besides catching a ball.

Jerome Simpson

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
I love his upside. We have a great WR room. Put yourself in Burton's shoes. He has to compete with Chase, Higgins. Yoshi, Irwin, Jones and even Gesicki for PT as a rookie.

Burton could be number 3 on a lot of team's depth chart right now in my humble opinion.

He does not have the luxury of not giving 100% on the field or in the classroom if he wants to get a huge second contract.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 07:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love his upside. We have a great WR room. Put yourself in Burton's shoes. He has to compete with Chase, Higgins. Yoshi, Irwin, Jones and even Gesicki for PT as a rookie.

Burton could be number 3 on a lot of team's depth chart right now in my humble opinion.

He does not have the luxury of not giving 100% on the field or in the classroom if he wants to get a huge second contract.

Last year those guys had 116 yards (16 games), 316 yards (16 games), 64 yards (11 games), and 244 yards (17 games).... and only 1 of those 4 managed to reach even 10 yards per catch. 24 rookies had 316+ receiving yards last year. It's not exactly like we've got great depth.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 04:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: FWIW he completely denied the sleeping thing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/cincinnati-bengals-rookie-wide-receiver-jermaine-burton-shuts-down-accusation-of-sleeping-through-meetings-01j6f4zschxj

Well at the very least we do know he shows up and practices with the team.  That is more than we can say about some.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 04:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: FWIW he completely denied the sleeping thing.

Herbie and Al both were aware of it. Somebody said something. Could have been Saban or a Bengal coach.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote