Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
(08-31-2024, 09:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Last year those guys had 116 yards (16 games), 316 yards (16 games), 64 yards (11 games), and 244 yards (17 games).... and only 1 of those 4 managed to reach even 10 yards per catch. 24 rookies had 316+ receiving yards last year. It's not exactly like we've got great depth.

Burton if he keeps making plays will play. Isovias has earned their trust and like his athleticism. He’s got to prove he can make the contested catch over the middle.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 09:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Last year those guys had 116 yards (16 games), 316 yards (16 games), 64 yards (11 games), and 244 yards (17 games).... and only 1 of those 4 managed to reach even 10 yards per catch. 24 rookies had 316+ receiving yards last year. It's not exactly like we've got great depth.

Last year 2 were rookies, 1 injured so no doubt not great rookie stats.

Call me an optimist but with Yoshi being added to the slot, I think he has a very good 2nd year.

All those guys were also 4th or worse on the depth chart. I predict a combination of WR's replace Boyd's touches, but Yoshi can play all WR positions so my hunch he surprises a lot of defenses and fans this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 12:38 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Burton if he keeps making plays will play. Isovias has earned their trust and like his athleticism. He’s got to prove he can make the contested catch over the middle.

He needs to prove he can hang onto the ball after a big hit prove his toughness. Prove he is no longer a track guy and is a football player.
Reply/Quote
Welcome Burton. Hope the coaches don't screw this one up and waste a year or two on the bench.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 03:30 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Welcome Burton. Hope the coaches don't screw this one up and waste a year or two on the bench.

I seriously doubt this. I have a feeling he might start out of the gate a bit buried on the depth chart…. But by season end he will be WR3. He is clearly the best 3rd option, in theory (draft capital, proven production (college), and skill set). I know this might bring out the Iosivas folks, who I also think can be a nice piece. I just think Burton has the potential to be a legit NFL player while Iosivas can be a better version of Irwin.
Reply/Quote
Guys with reputations like this are unpredictable.  A player like Burton, who we hear getting labeled a "first round talent" tend to clean up their act at least until they have some success on the field.  Think Odell and Chris Henry.  We thought we had genuine steals on our hands until we didn't.  Burfict was another kind of problem, but he was doing and saying all the right things right up until he got out of the doghouse and into coaches and fans good graces.  

It's kind of a red flag that they're still feeling the need to teach Burton a lesson by dropping him to the bottom of the depth chart.  This team may not need a stud receiver to step in immediately, but they have a history of being fine with starting talented rookies at the position from day 1.  

It may be a lack of need or it may be an attempt to give guys like Jones and Iosivas a chance first.  I hope it is.  If not, then Burton doesn't even have the sense to hide his immaturity/lack of professionalism until he's established on the team.  

Again,  first round talents don't drop to the third for no reason.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 12:35 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Herbie and Al both were aware of it. Somebody said something. Could have been Saban or a Bengal coach.

I heard it speculated on Sirius that it wasn't in offensive meetings, but in Special Teams meetings. Simmons would not take kindly to that.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 03:25 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: He needs to prove he can hang onto the ball after a big hit prove his toughness. Prove he is no longer a track guy and is a football player.

Not sure where this is coming from, but he didn’t have a single drop his entire final season in college, or in the preseason.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 10:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I heard it speculated on Sirius that it wasn't in offensive meetings, but in Special Teams meetings. Simmons would not take kindly to that.

And Simmons couth more readily fits making that comment. But I also think they are purposely keeping him under the radar. Teams are going to double team Tee & Chase. Unless the running attack becomes a factor. But a linebacker can’t cover Gesicki and Burton will win 1 on 1’s. If Burrow has time this offense is going to be lethal.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 09:29 AM)samhain Wrote: Guys with reputations like this are unpredictable.  A player like Burton, who we hear getting labeled a "first round talent" tend to clean up their act at least until they have some success on the field.  Think Odell and Chris Henry.  We thought we had genuine steals on our hands until we didn't.  Burfict was another kind of problem, but he was doing and saying all the right things right up until he got out of the doghouse and into coaches and fans good graces.  

It's kind of a red flag that they're still feeling the need to teach Burton a lesson by dropping him to the bottom of the depth chart.  This team may not need a stud receiver to step in immediately, but they have a history of being fine with starting talented rookies at the position from day 1.  

It may be a lack of need or it may be an attempt to give guys like Jones and Iosivas a chance first.  I hope it is.  If not, then Burton doesn't even have the sense to hide his immaturity/lack of professionalism until he's established on the team.  

Again,  first round talents don't drop to the third for no reason.

Teams make poor draft decisions in rounds 1, 2 and 3. But it is easy to make a great decision based on the data, it just does not pan out. Here is an article I found interesting; it has a chart showing the average games played on average for each round of the draft.

How many career games NFL draft picks play, on average, by position | NCAA.com

Round Avg. Reg. Season Games Reg. Seasons' Worth of Games

1 62.3         3.7
2 56.3         3.3
3 48.1         2.8
4 44.4         2.6
5 40.5         2.4
6 32.5         1.9
7 28.1         1.7

As you can see by the chart, the average player drafted in round 1 played only 3.7 seasons worth of games. Each round drops all the way to 1.7 seasons for round 7. Round 3 picks where Burton was chosen only average 2.8 or less than 3 years in the NFL.

The odds of hitting a great player in the 3rd round are not good.

Some is injury, but the reality is the NFL draft is a crap shoot, even with number 1 picks.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 12:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure where this is coming from, but he didn’t have a single drop his entire final season in college, or in the preseason.

Yoshi not Burton.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 06:35 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Yoshi not Burton.

Ah gotcha, sorry.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 06:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah gotcha, sorry.

No problem I worded it kind of screwed up, so I understand the confusion. I tried to edit it last night but do not understand how to save the changes when you edit now it is different then before.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 06:47 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: No problem I worded it kind of screwed up, so I understand the confusion. I tried to edit it last night but do not understand how to save the changes when you edit now it is different then before.

You may simply blame that you were utilizing bong at time of post
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2024, 12:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Last year 2 were rookies, 1 injured so no doubt not great rookie stats.

Call me an optimist but with Yoshi being added to the slot, I think he has a very good 2nd year.

All those guys were also 4th or worse on the depth chart. I predict a combination of WR's replace Boyd's touches, but Yoshi can play all WR positions so my hunch he surprises a lot of defenses and fans this year.

Truth. Not really fair to judge Chuck especially, dude literally got injured after his punt return TD against the Ravens and was out until
the last few games and had Browning throwing him the ball. We all know Iosivas problems with catching but he was missed by Browning
for about 2 long wide open TD's.

(09-01-2024, 03:25 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: He needs to prove he can hang onto the ball after a big hit prove his toughness. Prove he is no longer a track guy and is a football player.

Iosivas has been learning to catch with his hands. Him and Chase Brown have looked ten times better this season in this aspect.

That is the thing, Iosivas is built and is tough. His hands have always been the problem, he let the ball come into his body instead of
just snatching it out of the air like the great ones do. This takes away the problem. You are going to get hit anyway, catch the ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Truth. Not really fair to judge Chuck especially, dude literally got injured after his punt return TD against the Ravens and was out until
the last few games and had Browning throwing him the ball. We all know Iosivas problems with catching but he was missed by Browning
for about 2 long wide open TD's.

Iosivas has been learning to catch with his hands. Him and Chase Brown have looked ten times better this season in this aspect.

That is the thing, Iosivas is built and is tough. His hands have always been the problem, he let the ball come into his body instead of
just snatching it out of the air like the great ones do. This takes away the problem. You are going to get hit anyway, catch the ball.

Yeah, this is his only issue I see when he gets big hits after catching it the ball comes out. With using his hands and not body to catch the ball it could be more secure and be harder to dislodge for the defenders.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 12:10 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: You may simply blame that you were utilizing bong at time of post

It is legal in Ohio to hit the bong now.  Tongue 
Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner The Athletic
The scouting report has proven to be true. Cincinnati did run into issues getting Burton on board and up to professional standards quickly. Al Michaels dropped a line on a preseason broadcast about Burton sleeping through meetings, and while that specific accusation hasn’t been verified, that’s consistent with the sentiment inside the building about his early approach: He has not been in the vicinity of where he needs to be as a professional.

But, yes, the ability on tape was still impressive.

Burton admitted he needs to make strides as a pro to crack any rotation in a receiver group entrenched in their roles. As Burrow stated after his first preseason game, Burton needs to “stay in the playbook,” and Higgins started his assessment in the same spot when asked for advice to give the rookie, even while praising his potential.

Reply/Quote
It's disappointing Burton didn't come in and try to prove the narrative wrong. Maybe there is something else there.... Learning disability, ADD.

Whatever it is you at least try to be on your best behavior at the start of a new job (even if you become who you are eventually). The fact Burton couldn't step up if not for the first couple months is troublesome. Especially with him already knowing and addressing the character issues brought up during the draft.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2024, 10:33 AM)jj22 Wrote: It's disappointing Burton didn't come in and try to prove the narrative wrong. Maybe there is something else there.... Learning disability, ADD.

Whatever it is you at least try to be on your best behavior at the start of a new job (even if you become who you are eventually). The fact Burton couldn't step up if not for the first couple months is troublesome. Especially with him already knowing and addressing the character issues brought up during the draft.

Zac is the best coach for this. He’ll get there. Zac will be stern but amicable. He’ll nurture it.

Reply/Quote