Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Gesicki Touchdown - NFL Apology
He dropped it. Next play, Hudson decided to celebrate a yard early. Bungle in the Jungle. ??
Reply/Quote
This tweet by Joe Goodberry shows the play with the replay as seen on tv at 30 sec mark.

I still don't see how that could be a TD based on the rules as he caught the ball in the air, and came down to the ground and did not maintain possession. If he would have held onto to it without it jarring loose, 100% a td then.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 12:11 PM)Millhouse Wrote: That's what I thought too because he was going out of bounds after ball came loose when hitting the ground and he didn't retain possession before going out. (at least thats what I remember of the replay, because I cant find the replay of the replay anywhere)

Or maybe the rule of the rule of the rule says as long as the ball doesn't touch ground, he can gain control of ball again regardless of going out of bounds if he had at least 2 feet or a non-hand body part down first? I honestly don't know if in fact that is a TD.

My understanding as well is if the ground does not cause the ball to be jarred loose: the ball was moving, but he had a body part on it at all times, thus did the ground cause the possession to be lost or was the movement just incidental?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 03:46 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: My understanding as well is if the ground does not cause the ball to be jarred loose: the ball was moving, but he had a body part on it at all times, thus did the ground cause the possession to be lost or was the movement just incidental?

Right above your post you can see it moving on the ground.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 02:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Disagree. He had posession until he hit the ground. However, when he touched the ground, the defender was touching him. Freeze frame, play over. The ball came loose after impact with the ground but the play should have already been over at that point.

You obviously don't know the rules of football.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 04:42 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: You obviously don't know the rules of football.

Bullshit. It was a home run all the way!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 04:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Bullshit. It was a home run all the way!

As there's a drive into deep left field by HarleyDog, it will be a home run.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 04:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: As there's a drive into deep left field by HarleyDog, it will be a home run.

I knew I would wear you down to see it my way.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Well, I still can't find an NFL apology anywhere. We have Lap saying "it's my understanding that the league apologized," but nothing so far from the league publicly. Has anybody else found anything official?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 10:18 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Oh, yeah, in a game where we lost by 6 points a TD-that-wasn't  didn't affect the outcome of the game, suuuuuuuuuuuuuure.
[insert Dr. Evil "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" meme]

Must be that new math 6>7, lol
Reply/Quote
The narrative has already begun that Giescecki is terrible. Any judgment that changes that to a spectacular catch will go against that narrative.

I'm not sure he maintained possession throughout the catch, hell even pros say they don't know what a catch is anymore. Catch or no, it was a hell of an effort.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 05:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The narrative has already begun that Giescecki is terrible. Any judgment that changes that to a spectacular catch will go against that narrative.

I'm not sure he maintained possession throughout the catch, hell even pros say they don't know what a catch is anymore. Catch or no, it was a hell of an effort.

Announcers were praising Gesicki to no end until the catch was overturned. Talked about how excited Burrow was to have him and what a weapon he was and how with Burrow he might return to the weapon he was earlier in his career. And then... crickets.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 04:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Right above your post you can see it moving on the ground.

Indeed, I saw it move on the broadcast.

I was just saying that the whole, "controlling it, but the ball hitting the ground and moving," has come into play sometimes and that would it apply here (like when Higgins caught that long-ass pass against Bmore in '21: he landed and had control, but the ball moved when he hit the ground, but it's not like he didn't have hands on it or anything).

That's all :)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 05:04 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, I still can't find an NFL apology anywhere. We have Lap saying "it's my understanding that the league apologized," but nothing so far from the league publicly. Has anybody else found anything official?

Yeah, I am wondering this too. I feel like there would be quite a few articles about it if it were the case.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 04:42 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: You obviously don't know the rules of football.

You have to complete the play, bengals got burned before, when ball comes out in the end. 
Reply/Quote
Irv made that catch.... just sayin... C'mon Mike!

Reply/Quote
I guess since he came down with clear control of the ball, tucked it in, landed in bounds and was touched. So is the play dead the moment he hit the ground with a player touching? Seriously have no idea anymore.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 10:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They are saying it should have remained a TD?
Based on what?
The ball clearly was moving after he hit the ground and landed OOB, even if it didn't touch the ground.

But wasn't that the drive that resulted in a turnover right after this called drop by Gesicki?

If so, it most definitely would have affected the outcome of the game because it would have been +7 points in favor of the Bengals and could have been 17-16 Bengals at the end.

The ball can move as you go to the ground. But i think you have to complete the catch to the ground if you fall out of bounds

It’s like a wierd rule that only applies to catches finished inbounds and/or out of bounds

He’d a been good if he fell inbounds but since he landed out of bounds the ball wasn’t allowed to move and he had to survive the ground with possession

Now my issue is they tell us all the time a play is over the second you have control in the endzone. So to me that means if i catch a ball, and have it with my feet inbounds, the exact second that my hands have the ball and my feet are inbounds that is a TD. So it doesn’t matter if i drop the ball because i already got the TD.

I just watched the catch a bunch of times, and it wasn’t a TD

Mike G caught it and bobbled it as he hit the ground IN BOUNDS. So he had to get possession of the ball before he slid out of bounds and he didn’t.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 07:40 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I guess since he came down with clear control of the ball, tucked it in, landed in bounds and was touched. So is the play dead the moment he hit the ground with a player touching? Seriously have no idea anymore.

If you catch and secure the ball then run a couple steps, you have established the catch and don't need to survive the ground when tacked.

If you catch the ball while falling/jumping in the air, you need to survive the ground because you haven't established the catch yet. So when the ball gets loose and goes on the ground, it's incomplete.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 10:06 AM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Yes.  They apologized.  Should have remained a touchdown.  He had control of the ball tucked into his stomach after his elbow had hit the ground.  Said the field referee was right and replay booth missed it.

Also, not enough irrefutable evidence to overturn call on the field.  

I think the Bengals should be raising all kinds of hell about taking a touchdown off the board in an ugly game.

Idk why the NFL did this.

Because Mike slid out of bounds he had to survive that catch all the way out of bounds

He lost the ball and couldn’t reestablish it before he slid out of bounds

I know most ppl think it was a TD the moment Mike hit the ground in bounds but he bobbled it
-Housh
Reply/Quote