Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Gesicki Touchdown - NFL Apology
I'm no rules expert but perhaps because he was in bounds and had control when he was downed by the defender mattered. I agree it's not a catch if somrbody doesn't down you before you roll out of bounds.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 08:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm no rules expert but perhaps because he was in bounds and had control when he was downed by the defender mattered. I agree it's not a catch if somrbody doesn't down you before you roll out of bounds.

That's really the only thing makes sense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Posters are making all kinds of assumptions about why the NFL made this apology, but at this point in time I find no evidence that the NFL actually made an apology.

The only evidence on the internet that I see of such an apology leads back to this particular thread! There are a few "I have heard," but nothing at all from the league office or the Bengals front office. Perhaps it will come in a day or so, but right now crickets.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 10:23 AM)Nepa Wrote: I don't see anything online about an NFL apology. If they apologized, it would be big news. I guess it's possible that they have not yet publicly released the apology, but it's also possible whoever you were listening to was spreading an unsubstantiated rumor.

I was watching on a small screen so I couldn't really tell if the initial call, or overturn decision, were correct.

It was on Sirius. Channel 88 on my vehicle. This mornings program with Bill Polian on NFL Network
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 08:55 PM)Nepa Wrote: Posters are making all kinds of assumptions about why the NFL made this apology, but at this point in time I find no evidence that the NFL actually made an apology.

The only evidence on the internet that I see of such an apology leads back to this particular thread! There are a few "I have heard," but nothing at all from the league office or the Bengals front office. Perhaps it will come in a day or so, but right now crickets.

Well we don't know for sure but there is evidence outside of this thread. A clip was shared on Laps mentioning it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm starting to think the NFL network person who said the NFL apologized, should be fired lol
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 05:04 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, I still can't find an NFL apology anywhere. We have Lap saying "it's my understanding that the league apologized," but nothing so far from the league publicly. Has anybody else found anything official?

If they didn’t, then my heated rant was for nothing. I hate it when that happens.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
The only apology that needs to be issued is by the team, to the fans that paid to watch that game.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 12:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only apology that needs to be issued is by the team, to the fans that paid to watch that game.

Also the fans who think that was a catch.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 08:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well we don't know for sure but there is evidence outside of this thread. A clip was shared on Laps mentioning it. 

I referenced that when I said we have people who said "I have heard.."  Hearsay is pretty weak as evidence. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 11:05 AM)Nepa Wrote: I referenced that when I said we have people who said "I have heard.."  Hearsay is pretty weak as evidence. 

Like all this contract stuff, we are all speculating, nothing confirmed by either side
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 11:05 AM)Nepa Wrote: I referenced that when I said we have people who said "I have heard.."  Hearsay is pretty weak as evidence. 

Yeah, day 2 and I still haven't seen any articles. I'm going to put this under just a rumor that someone started and people treated like fact.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
I hate that the fake news spread so fast!
Reply/Quote
This is right up there with what's being talked about in Springfield, OH with pets getting eaten lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2024, 08:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you catch and secure the ball then run a couple steps, you have established the catch and don't need to survive the ground when tacked.

If you catch the ball while falling/jumping in the air, you need to survive the ground because you haven't established the catch yet. So when the ball gets loose and goes on the ground, it's incomplete.

Im not sure why some are having a problem understanding this.  This has been the rule for many years.  It wasnt a catch.  He lost control and the ball hit the ground.  I think Lapham is pulling stuff out of thin air because it was clearly the correct call and the NFL would have no reason to apologize.   There are no articles talking about an NFL apology because there was no apology.  Lapham is wrong on this one.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 01:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Im not sure why some are having a problem understanding this.  This has been the rule for many years.  It wasnt a catch.  He lost control and the ball hit the ground.  I think Lapham is pulling stuff out of thin air because it was clearly the correct call and the NFL would have no reason to apologize.   There are no articles talking about an NFL apology because there was no apology.  Lapham is wrong on this one.

The NFL owns the NFL channel on Sirius. They announced it there. Do you really expect them to post articles in the news showing how inept their replay officials are when people conmstantly criticize the zebras? They apologized to the team, and that's likely all we will hear about it.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 12:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, day 2 and I still haven't seen any articles. I'm going to put this under just a rumor that someone started and people treated like fact.

Honestly, Mike Florio is notorious for when these things actually happen writing about it (he loves to take shots at the league). If PFT isn't saying anything then I am guessing it didn't happen as he has some sources in the league office that he has used to call out some of these situations before.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 02:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The NFL owns the NFL channel on Sirius. They announced it there. Do you really expect them to post articles in the news showing how inept their replay officials are when people conmstantly criticize the zebras? They apologized to the team, and that's likely all we will hear about it.

I would expect someone to be talking about it. If the NFL apologized for a call like that in a game that Cincinnati lost by one score, it would be picked up by someone. Instead, we don't really have anything other than Lap mentioning it in passing. I have tried finding anyone else talking about it. Twitter, Reddit, somewhere and there is nothing. 

It's a pretty clear no catch which is what makes this rumor so confusing. It's clear as day that he didn't catch it. Why would the NFL apologize? And if they did apologize, why is no one mentioning it? 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is right up there with what's being talked about in Springfield, OH with pets getting eaten lol

My hometown does'nt eat cats & dogs, they eat beef & pork....& lots of it.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2024, 04:00 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would expect someone to be talking about it. If the NFL apologized for a call like that in a game that Cincinnati lost by one score, it would be picked up by someone. Instead, we don't really have anything other than Lap mentioning it in passing. I have tried finding anyone else talking about it. Twitter, Reddit, somewhere and there is nothing. 

It's a pretty clear no catch which is what makes this rumor so confusing. It's clear as day that he didn't catch it. Why would the NFL apologize? And if they did apologize, why is no one mentioning it? 

It's clear to you & me it was no catch, unfortunately there are posters on here who think it was a catch. 
He jumps, catches the ball, lands, ball shifts then touches ground.....easy no catch. 
It would'nt have been a catch in the middle of the field. 
Reply/Quote