Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Joe Burrow can never ice a game
I can recall him icing multiple games. Op has brain fog

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 08:55 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: While a great memory, you’re still missing more context. Look at yesterday. What the OP is saying is Burrow had 4 min on the clock and all he needed to do was as keep the chains moving and kick a game winning fg, or March down the field for a TD and a 2 score game. Game over. But your narrative is defense couldn’t get off the field. Both are true, but JB had the opportunity to ice the game.

Same thing for the AFCC loss to the chiefs. Burrow had the ball back at our 20 or so, couldn’t drive and we punted to Mahomes.

I won’t say he’s not clutch or he is. But I will say I trust Mahomes 100x more than I do Burrow in that situation. We ALL knew what was going to happen when we kicked our last fg and gave Mahomes 2 min and the ball. Why didn’t we all know that with 4 min left burrow was going to score a TD and go up 2 scores and effectively end the game?

I get what people are saying and I thought it too as we have had big games in the past where we couldn't score on several drives that would've ended the game. But this post did remind me that we did get decent at some long clock killing drives two years ago. But Burrow doesn't have the mobility of Mahommes and he uses his legs alot in his clutch moments.
Reply/Quote
I think you mean the defense can't ice a game.
There always seems to be some timely penalty or big play allowed on 3rd/4th and less than 30 seconds left that is going to keep the opponent's drive alive.

As for Burrow, that fumble was the ultimate tilt in the game.
In hindsight, Bengals should have either ran it or Burrow just eaten the sack.
But the Bengals allowed 3 sacks again this game, on pace for 51 allowed this season if this keeps up. With PIT and CLE twice each still this year, I think 50+ isn't unrealistic.

However, that pass to Gesicki right at his arms should have been a catch. It would have gotten the 1st down and the fumble likely would not have happened. The fumble happened the first or second play immediately after that drop.

For as much as Burrow might not be quite as "clutch" as he thinks he is, there was blame elsewhere this game as well.

And FWIW, Burrow is one of only 3 QBs who has beaten the Mahomes-led Chiefs 3 times.
No one has beaten Mahomes 4 times.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The clutch gene and being able to ice games is something Burrow's injuries have slowed Burrow's ability to develop this. Montana and Brady didnt come into the league being clutch they developed it over time.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 09:12 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: how did you remember/research all that stuff

I looked through the schedule from 2021 on and just tried to think back in my head. I could easily be missing things but should be decently
Accurate. A couple of them I went into the game flow to jog my memory.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 08:55 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: While a great memory, you’re still missing more context. Look at yesterday. What the OP is saying is Burrow had 4 min on the clock and all he needed to do was as keep the chains moving and kick a game winning fg, or March down the field for a TD and a 2 score game. Game over. But your narrative is defense couldn’t get off the field. Both are true, but JB had the opportunity to ice the game.

Same thing for the AFCC loss to the chiefs. Burrow had the ball back at our 20 or so, couldn’t drive and we punted to Mahomes.

I won’t say he’s not clutch or he is. But I will say I trust Mahomes 100x more than I do Burrow in that situation. We ALL knew what was going to happen when we kicked our last fg and gave Mahomes 2 min and the ball. Why didn’t we all know that with 4 min left burrow was going to score a TD and go up 2 scores and effectively end the game?

You do realize Mahomes had less than 10 yards on his final drive yesterday? Are you going to say that’s clutch.

If we want to argue even more context, Burrow had another first down yet Yoshi dropped it.

Game situations are different. Burrow worked with 3 downs, Mahomes worked with 4. Burrow had to play mistake free, Mahomes could chuck it up because there was nothing left to lose. Yes I’m missing context but so are you.

It’s never just about one player. Burrow is clutch more often than not. I’ll argue last week against NE was one of his least clutch games of his career. I won’t say that about this game though.
Reply/Quote
Weird take by the OP.  

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 08:55 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: While a great memory, you’re still missing more context. Look at yesterday. What the OP is saying is Burrow had 4 min on the clock and all he needed to do was as keep the chains moving and kick a game winning fg, or March down the field for a TD and a 2 score game. Game over. But your narrative is defense couldn’t get off the field. Both are true, but JB had the opportunity to ice the game.

I won’t say he’s not clutch or he is. But I will say I trust Mahomes 100x more than I do Burrow in that situation. We ALL knew what was going to happen when we kicked our last fg and gave Mahomes 2 min and the ball. He Why didn’t we all know that with 4 min left burrow was going to score a TD and go up 2 scores and effectively end the game?

And in no way am I saying he’s more clutch than Mahomes. No one is.

I’m just saying I think he’s more clutch than many seem to remember.
Reply/Quote
Burrow lost his clutch narrative after having 7 drives to end the SB only needing a FG and being unable to get one. The SB!

In the big games recently he has not come through SB, AFCC etc. This has been whispered about for more than a year now. Some may just be a little late.

Clutch wise, he's pretty much Dalton. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:39 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You do realize Mahomes had less than 10 yards on his final drive yesterday? Are you going to say that’s clutch.

If we want to argue even more context, Burrow had another first down yet Yoshi dropped it.

Game situations are different. Burrow worked with 3 downs, Mahomes worked with 4. Burrow had to play mistake free, Mahomes could chuck it up because there was nothing left to lose. Yes I’m missing context but so are you.

It’s never just about one player. Burrow is clutch more often than not. I’ll argue last week against NE was one of his least clutch games of his career. I won’t say that about this game though.

Burrow played better than Mahomes this week. And burrow has been the better QB multiple times vs the chiefs. Not sure what the split is in who’s been actually better (not just won); But let’s have an honest conversation, Mahomes is better and more clutch. Is what it is. I love burrow, I think he’s top 5. If you asked me 2 years ago I’d say #2 and possibly #1. But the way things have gone since our SB appearance, his stock has gone down a little, and Mahomes won 2 more in that time.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow lost his clutch narrative after having 7 drives to end the SB only needing a FG and being unable to get one. The SB!

In the big games recently he has not come through SB, AFCC etc. This has been whispered about for more than a year now. Some may just be a little late.

Clutch wise, he's pretty much Dalton. 

This sounds like a media pundit hot take more than a bengals fan’s take

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:22 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Under Taylor there’s been no run game to speak of.  Offense has been unbalanced and extremely predictable.  You think all of a sudden holes are going to open up when we are trying to ice a game?  How about the fact that Burrow is consistently under duress on 3rd down blitzes and that dumbfuck Taylor can’t seem to get this through his thick skull and have a receiver on a hot route to counter.   Other teams counter our blitzes with quick throws to uncovered receivers.  

Blame Taylor.   He’s the worst OC this franchise has ever had.

Did you just get here?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:49 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: This sounds more like a media pundit hot take more than a bengals fan

7 drives needing a FG..... In the biggest game of his life. 

AFCC, multiple interceptions in the 4th needing a FG. 

This was when Burrow was "healthy" at his best. Not the battered player we see now.

Many took note. 

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: 7 drives needing a FG..... In the biggest game of his life. 

The Rams overloaded the line and he had career a porous oline in front of him. I can atleast see what went wrong there.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: 7 drives needing a FG..... In the biggest game of his life. 

yea yea we know. Burrow is a choke artist. Spicy take. Now start that YouTube page you’ve been so desperately wanting to create

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 04:51 AM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: No he hasn’t. The first game against the Chiefs in the 2021 regular season I’ll give you. In that years afc champ game we got an interception in OT and Mixon and a couple short passes (maybe, memory escapes me completely) got us to field goal range. Think about EVERY single playoff win we’ve had besides the Bills game. The defense got a turnover to win every one of those games. The end of our postseason both years came with Burrow getting the ball at the end with the perfect chance to be the hero. He simply does not get it done in those situations. I brought this up a while
Back and I got blasted for it. The homers in this fan base don’t want to accept that Burrow has not shown to be THAT guy. Maybe he still can get there but he’s not there yet. Honestly I had more faith in Dalton in those moments than I do Burrow, in the regular season only obviously. Burrows fumble lost us that game yesterday and he had multiple times after that to make up for it and win us the game. He simply can’t do it apparently. He’s a good qb, buts he’s not great and he can’t sniff Mahomes or Josh Allen’s jockstraps.

For the love of it.... take some medicine.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:52 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: yea yea we know. Burrow is a choke artist. Spicy take. Now start that YouTube page you’ve been so desperately wanting to create

He's not a "choke artist". But he's not clutch.

Give Mahones, Brady, Manning, hell even Allen 7 drives to get a FB in a SB and they get it. 

This is where the Burrow not clutch conversation began. You won't hear "you left too much time on the clock" from anyone with over a minute left in a game and Bengals needing a FG.

You just won't anymore and haven't for years now.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: He's not a "choke artist". But he's not clutch.

Give Mahones, Brady, Manning, hell even Allen 7 drives to get a FB in a SB and they get it. 

Josh Allen more clutch than Burrow? Ok. Start working on the youtube page. Don’t forget tik tok as well

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 10:55 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Josh Allen more clutch than Burrow? Ok. Start working on the youtube page. Don’t forget tik tok as well

Allen? Definitely. Allen is a far better QB then Burrow, especially post 2022.

I trust him getting into FG range with a little over a minute left moreso than Burrow at this point in Burrow's career. 

Reply/Quote
William jackson III was right. Bengals fans are a miserable bunch. Not all, but yea, a lot are definitely miserable

Reply/Quote