Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We're making the playoffs
(Today, 10:36 AM)Destro Wrote: Would need many other teams to implode to even have a chance come the last two games of the season. Be lucky to not be in the bottom 25% of the league.

Ravens have not looked good in 2 of their 3 games so far. Deshaun Watson still sucks and Joe Flacco ain't coming to save the day when the rapist inevitably sits out due to some mysterious injury. Only need the Steelers to start losing games and we could still win the division. Outside of the division, Chargers and Dolphins have their starting QBs going down, Raiders may finally be coming down to earth. Jets will probably get one of the Wild Card spots. I see no reason to think, as things currently stand, why we couldn't nab one of the other 2 WC spots, especially if we have 10 or more wins.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11 hours ago)bfine32 Wrote: A lot stating "no way" because of the running defense. I'd be with them if we were at 100%. First couple weeks we were without our 2nd and 3rd RD draft picks at DT and our 3rd game we were without both starters.

Let me see what a rotation of Rankins, Hill, Jackson, Jenkins can do before I throw in the towel.

I'd also be less optimisric if it were BAL at 3-0 rather than PIT

That's what I'm saying! Thank you, bfine! Let me add, that against Washington, only Eckler ran for more than 4 YPC and that was on 3 runs. Even Daniels only ran for 3.3 YPC against us. Starting RB ran for less than 3.

Still, I get the concern for the rushing defense, but again our starting DTs were out and 3 players we're counting on to be heavily in the DL rotation are either out with injury or played limited snaps in his first game back from injury.
Reply/Quote
(11 hours ago)ochocincos Wrote: I try not to make absolute statements like that for the positive because there's a possibility they don't.
Or they may improve somewhat, but maybe not enough.

Did I forget to mention my moneyback guarantee? If I'm wrong, I'll give all y'all the money back that you gave me in the OP. ThumbsUp

(11 hours ago)ochocincos Wrote: We know there's clearly an impact this month with Reader no longer a Bengal, but we won't know how much he's fully missed until we see the rest of the season play out.

I do like Jenkins as a run defender and I did like Jackson's skill set and size for NT coming out of college, so I'm optimistic on that front.
Carter should get enough playing time this year to potentially prove doubters wrong, but even I, a Carter supporter, am losing confidence in his development now.

Rankins and Hill need to be used like Hill and Ogunjobi were used back in 2021.
Let Jenkins and Jackson rotate at NT and both come out on passing downs.
This is obviously if/when all are back healthy.

I see that optimism starting to shine through. By all means, tell that pessimism to STFU. Wink
Reply/Quote
(11 hours ago)PhilHos Wrote: No doubt. lol

Thought, I do doubt we beat Baltimore as the defense currently stands.

I was on your train until you said you doubted the Bengals could beat Baltimore. I think the Bengals need to win the next two games. If they lose to Baltimore and are 1 and 4, with 3 AFC losses and one in the AFC North, then the hill they have to climb becomes Mt. McKinley (Denali). Myself: I expect the Bengals to beat Carolina away and Baltimore at home and so doing be right back in it.
Reply/Quote
If it was a 16 game season, I'd say it'd be pretty tricky, but with that extra game, we are indeed still in it.

Monday seemed like NOTHING could go wrong for WASH and nothing did (even the fumble, bounced right back into their hands).

We get 1 turnover on Monday, with how everything went, we probably win that game. Situations like that, coupled with the fact that we know what Burrow is capable of, week in, week out, makes me hopeful until we are mathematically eliminated.

We have had a minimum of a 4 game win streak every year since '21: unless you're 0-10, or 1-9, you'll always be in it with a 4 game win streak.

Not putting all my eggs in a basket, but it is not impossible, far from it.

EDI* Sorry, we had 2, 3 game win streaks in '21 (the Cleveland season-ender game always gets by my memory lol, that would've been a 7 game win streak into the playoffs, had we won it).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I suspect the defense is highly embarrassed over their performance in the Washington game. Hopefully it will be a different story this week. Offensively things look good.
Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)PhilHos Wrote: Did I forget to mention my moneyback guarantee? If I'm wrong, I'll give all y'all the money back that you gave me in the OP. ThumbsUp

I see that optimism starting to shine through. By all means, tell that pessimism to STFU. Wink

I'm in software quality assurance.
It's in my nature and my job to be skeptical lol.
Always assume you can find something wrong with the system and try to break it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect the defense is highly embarrassed over their performance in the Washington game. Hopefully it will be a different story this week. Offensively things look good.

"We're on to Carolina" incoming?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)ochocincos Wrote: "We're on to Carolina" incoming?

No point in wallowing in the past, it can't be changed.
Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)Nepa Wrote: I was on your train until you said you doubted the Bengals could beat Baltimore. I think the Bengals need to win the next two games. If they lose to Baltimore and are 1 and 4, with 3 AFC losses and one in the AFC North, then the hill they have to climb becomes Mt. McKinley (Denali). Myself: I expect the Bengals to beat Carolina away and Baltimore at home and so doing be right back in it.

I'm just trying to be realistic in my optimism. lol 

I just think unless, Murphy plays and and plays well on his first game back from IR, I just don't see us stopping Baltimore's offense. I mean, I do believe we CAN beat Baltimore, I just think we won't. But even if Baltimore sweeps us, I can still see us winning 10-11 games. So, if we DO beat Baltimore, maybe looking at a 11-12 win season? 
Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If it was a 16 game season, I'd say it'd be pretty tricky, but with that extra game, we are indeed still in it.

Monday seemed like NOTHING could go wrong for WASH and nothing did (even the fumble, bounced right back into their hands).

We get 1 turnover on Monday, with how everything went, we probably win that game. Situations like that, coupled with the fact that we know what Burrow is capable of, week in, week out, makes me hopeful until we are mathematically eliminated.

We have had a minimum of a 4 game win streak every year since '21: unless you're 0-10, or 1-9, you'll always be in it with a 4 game win streak.

Not putting all my eggs in a basket, but it is not impossible, far from it.

EDI* Sorry, we had 2, 3 game win streaks in '21 (the Cleveland season-ender game always gets by my memory lol, that would've been a 7 game win streak into the playoffs, had we won it).

Right on, Truck! Let that optimism out!
Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect the defense is highly embarrassed over their performance in the Washington game. Hopefully it will be a different story this week. Offensively things look good.

I knew I could count on you, Sled. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
In reality, our success for a few years has been tied to timely turnovers which statistically are a bit random. Essentially, if we don't get them we are far worse than our record would have you believe. I have been a big Lou fan specifically for how he has played KC (Maybe the best in the league) but there isn't much else he has done really well and his input in the evaluation of players has to be questioned if this is where we are. I think it's probably time for us to move on.

Daniels was PERFECT passing when he wasn't blitzed on Monday and we never thought "hey maybe we should blitz him"? The league is now about being willing to adjust and it seems at times he likes his system and won't deviate even if it brings down the team. I think this goes back to his belief someone is goin to get him the turnover he needs to win because they have always bailed it out...but that can't be our strategy going forward.

We need a defensive miracle at this point to be relevant. Maybe Murphy, Jenkins, Jackson are that but I am not sure you can bank on 3 young players to save you at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)ochocincos Wrote: I'm in software quality assurance.
It's in my nature and my job to be skeptical lol.
Always assume you can find something wrong with the system and try to break it.

Maybe join the Bengals front office or coaching staff for the offseason so you can help them fix the mistakes BEFORE the season starts?
Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)PhilHos Wrote: Right on, Truck! Let that optimism out!

Always.

I mean, the Jays were only mathematically eliminated from the MLB playoffs last week: it's trickier in baseball to make it, but they have been under .500 for the whole season and with still a mathematical chance with 10 games to go of 162? The odds are infinitely better in the NFL, thus until you are mathematically out, anything can happen. (like when we were 3-5 in 2012, then went 7-1 in the final 8 games). 

Any given Sunday.
Reply/Quote
it will take almost half the season to just go .500 again... HALF the season.... Miracles happen, you are already using your miracle card on this one....
Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)PhilHos Wrote: Maybe join the Bengals front office or coaching staff for the offseason so you can help them fix the mistakes BEFORE the season starts?

I'm sure you saw some of my posts during the offseason. I have tried to point out problems before the season starts, whether they end up becoming true or not haha.
If one of the Bengals FO folks spy on this board, HMU!

EDIT - To be clear, I wouldn't be there to fix any problems. Just point out where problems exist. That's the developers (coaches) responsibility to fix lol.
AKA the perfect job!
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10 hours ago)Bengalitis Wrote: it will take almost half the season to just go .500 again... HALF the season.... Miracles happen, you are already using your miracle card on this one....

Someone failed math class...
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 03:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let me start by saying I get it. I get that the default option for Bengals fans is doom and gloom.  I get there have only been like 4 teams in the history of the NFL to start off 0-3 and make the playoffs.

But, even if the defense does NOT improve, we're making the playoffs this year and here's why I think that: our offense is good enough to win shootouts. In addition, a lot of teams on our schedule do not have good offenses; that even with our shitty defense, we should still not have trouble out-scoring them. In fact, I think a big issue for our defense is mobile QBs. Jayden Daniels picked up a lot of 1st downs with his legs as he did his best Lamar Jackson impression (except Jayden showed he's actually really good at throwing the ball accurately). So, even if our defense doesn't improve we only have to worry about facing teams with running QBs. That's currently the Ravens (twice) and the Eagles. Maybe the Steelers, but I think by the time we play them Russ will be starting and he's not as mobile as he used to be.

With that said, I see hope for improvement. Our defense did a really good job against the Chiefs (DPI notwithstanding). I don't know what the issue with tackling is, but it wasn't an issue against KC so I can see that improving immediately. Aside from that, we were missing our starting DTs. Don't know the timeframe for when they're coming back, but they'll be back. Then we got other DLmen that will be joining this defense in Murphy, Jenkins and Jackson. Soon. Granted, not only are they coming back from injury - 2 are also rookies. But promising rookies nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, at best, I think our defense will be mediocre, but I don't think it'll be the worst defense ever either.

So, I think the Ravens will probably sweep us and the Eagles will beat us. And we'll most likely lose at least 1 against the Steelers just because they're the frickin' Steelers. But I think we'll beat most of the other teams we'll face even if it's by just outscoring them. I see us ending with 10-11 wins assuming only a little defensive improvement which should be enough to get a Wild Card game if not the division depending on how the season goes for our divisional rivals.

And if we make the playoffs off the back of our offense ... I know defense wins championships, but, well, 0-3 teams also don't make the playoffs, right? Do you pick up what I'm putting down? (Can't wait for rfaulk's response to that question)

WHO DEY!

It is a lot harder to make a prediction like this at this time than be one of these dudes that have already jumped ship. I am with you, Phil.

The good thing is the Offense is way ahead of where they were the last couple seasons early. Burrow is playing well, we have been efficient 
in the run game and the OL has not been terrible. Mims should get better with more snaps and having Tee back along with Chase and these 
TE's could be badass with the explosiveness of Chase Brown and the solid hard to tackle play of Zack Moss.

On Defense we just need to get our DT's back and communicate and tackle better and it can be under control. One bad game against a 
very talented QB in Jayden Daniels has not broken my spirit. That dude can pass out of the pocket better than Lamar. He could be very 
special in the NFL. I was very impressed by this guy, smart, accurate with the legs is extremely hard to play against especially for the first
time.
Reply/Quote
PhilHos
They're going to win at least 10 games. ThumbsUp

Hope you're right but I doubt it. That means they have to go 10-4 or better the rest of the season. Be serious.
Reply/Quote