Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fields an upgrade for Steelers
Steelers have had QB problems since Big Ben retired. Ohio State Fields never lost to Michigan. He looks in a better set up than with Bears. Plus he has the old veteran Seahawks Super Bowl QB to help coach him up. Fields is indeed an upgrade for Steelers at QB. Fields is younger than the older Seattle QB, so if they can coach Fields up, he has more of a future.

I'm not rooting for Steelers or Fields. I'm a Bengal. I'm just saying Steelers are stronger at QB than they have been last few years. That guy they drafted, Pickett or whatever turned out to be their Akili Smith draft bust.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
He's on pace to throw for 2,320.5 yards and 8.5 TDs in 17 starts.

[Image: Sugar-daddy-2.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2024, 02:26 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's on pace to throw for 2,320.5 yards and 8.5 TDs in 17 starts.

You should be glad that’s not how it works in real life, otherwise he’d also be on pace to finish 17-0. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2024, 09:43 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You should be glad that’s not how it works in real life, otherwise he’d also be on pace to finish 17-0. 

Why not both? Ben won a SB with a QB rating of 22.6

You guys don't need good QB play to win a SB, or possibly go 17-0.

You just need steroids.....lotsa steroids!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2024, 09:43 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You should be glad that’s not how it works in real life, otherwise he’d also be on pace to finish 17-0. 

As A Bengals Fan, I agree with you.  My point was Ohio State Buckeye Fields who never lost to Michigan, could bring more Wins to Steelers.  Pickett was Steelers version of awful Akili Smith pick.  Rudolph and such were just fill ins.  Having Fields and old Super Bowl QB Russell Wilson as back-up and QB coach for Fields is an upgrade. 

Yards passing and all this other Stats....The only Stat that counts is WINS.....The problem with us Bengals Fans is, we got so use to Losing, we had to live on Stats.  Which is odd, because Bengals founder and owner Paul Brown always said, " Stats Are For Losers ". 

Now I HOPE Bengals win AFC North.   I do expect Steelers to be a lot tougher with QB's Fields and Wilson. They filled that huge weakness they had at QB.  

As an Ohio State Fan, I don't blame Fields for Bears not wining.  The Bears look even worse without Fields now.  I think Steelers got a steal in getting both Fields and an old Super Bowl Russell Wilson.  Fields has more of a future, but maybe he can learn a few things from Wilson that he didn't learn with Da' Bears. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2024, 02:26 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's on pace to throw for 2,320.5 yards and 8.5 TDs in 17 starts.

Joe Burrow is on paste.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2024, 12:21 PM)kevin Wrote: As A Bengals Fan, I agree with you.  My point was Ohio State Buckeye Fields who never lost to Michigan, could bring more Wins to Steelers.  Pickett was Steelers version of awful Akili Smith pick.  Rudolph and such were just fill ins.  Having Fields and old Super Bowl QB Russell Wilson as back-up and QB coach for Fields is an upgrade. 

Yards passing and all this other Stats....The only Stat that counts is WINS.....The problem with us Bengals Fans is, we got so use to Losing, we had to live on Stats.  Which is odd, because Bengals founder and owner Paul Brown always said, " Stats Are For Losers ". 

Now I HOPE Bengals win AFC North.   I do expect Steelers to be a lot tougher with QB's Fields and Wilson. They filled that huge weakness they had at QB.  

As an Ohio State Fan, I don't blame Fields for Bears not wining.  The Bears look even worse without Fields now.  I think Steelers got a steal in getting both Fields and an old Super Bowl Russell Wilson.  Fields has more of a future, but maybe he can learn a few things from Wilson that he didn't learn with Da' Bears. 

I, like other Steeler fans, have been patiently waiting all off-season to see how the QB situation plays out.  So far, so good.  ThumbsUp

The Steelers offensive players have been using Arthur Smith’s terminology, saying “The dam’s about to burst”.  By that they mean that they’re on the verge of realizing his vision more fully.  I can see the cracks forming.  
Reply/Quote
Prior to this week I saw Fields as the next Leftwich/Batch. A solid career backup who can win you games when the starter goes down temporarily. This last game gave me cause for very cautious optimism. He was much more decisive this week. He was powering the ball down field and not tap dancing in the pocket. He has a hell of a lot more to prove, most prominently being consistent and being able to bring the team back from a deficit. But I saw a lot more than I expected from him this past week. Should be interesting going forward.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2024, 08:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Prior to this week I saw Fields as the next Leftwich/Batch.  A solid career backup who can win you games when the starter goes down temporarily.  This last game gave me cause for very cautious optimism.  He was much more decisive this week.  He was powering the ball down field and not tap dancing in the pocket.  He has a hell of a lot more to prove, most prominently being consistent and being able to bring the team back from a deficit.  But I saw a lot more than I expected from him this past week.  Should be interesting going forward.

At Ohio State he always beat Michigan.  Now that may not seem like much to NFL Fans.   However in full stadiums of over 100 thousand fans, and fans fired up before kick-off to end of game, at Ann Arbor or Columbus, Fields never lost.  So here are The Steelers at 3-0.  See, this is Ohio State Fields.  Bears have problems, but Steelers are the type team Fields could put up Wins.  Not Stats, but Wins.  Like a Bart Starr or Len Dawson.  Plus Columbus Ohio has a lot of Steeler Fans and is not that far from Pittsburgh on I-70.  Fields at Pittsburgh is close to his Ohio State campus. 

I'm a Bengals Fan, but Steeler Fans have reason to be more than " cautious optimism ".  Steelers are 3-0, and this is kind of what Fields does.  He is not Peyton Manning or Johnny Unitas, but he Wins a lot....You can't blame him for Bears, they were bad before him and look worse now without him, while he is 3-0 with Pittsburgh.  You have to appreciate how fired up Ann Arbor or Columbus are for THE GAME, and Fields never choked, in spite of over 100 thousand screaming fans all game.  Another QB that did well in THE GAME was Michigan QB Tom Brady, and I think he had a good NFL career.   Fields could be on the right team, with the right coach, at the right time, like Bart Starr and Len Dawson. Paul Brown had cut Len Dawson in Cleveland and told him to go find his real life's work.  It just shows what ending up on the right team can do.  Look at Jim Plunket fired by Patriots, and he ended up near his Stanford with Oakland Raiders and won Super Bows.  Here is Fields and Steelers 3-0.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2024, 01:03 AM)kevin Wrote: At Ohio State he always beat Michigan.  Now that may not seem like much to NFL Fans.   However in full stadiums of over 100 thousand fans, and fans fired up before kick-off to end of game, at Ann Arbor or Columbus, Fields never lost.  So here are The Steelers at 3-0.  See, this is Ohio State Fields.  Bears have problems, but Steelers are the type team Fields could put up Wins.  Not Stats, but Wins.  Like a Bart Starr or Len Dawson.  Plus Columbus Ohio has a lot of Steeler Fans and is not that far from Pittsburgh on I-70.  Fields at Pittsburgh is close to his Ohio State campus. 

I'm a Bengals Fan, but Steeler Fans have reason to be more than " cautious optimism ".  Steelers are 3-0, and this is kind of what Fields does.  He is not Peyton Manning or Johnny Unitas, but he Wins a lot....You can't blame him for Bears, they were bad before him and look worse now without him, while he is 3-0 with Pittsburgh.  You have to appreciate how fired up Ann Arbor or Columbus are for THE GAME, and Fields never choked, in spite of over 100 thousand screaming fans all game.  Another QB that did well in THE GAME was Michigan QB Tom Brady, and I think he had a good NFL career.   Fields could be on the right team, with the right coach, at the right time, like Bart Starr and Len Dawson. Paul Brown had cut Len Dawson in Cleveland and told him to go find his real life's work.  It just shows what ending up on the right team can do.  Look at Jim Plunket fired by Patriots, and he ended up near his Stanford with Oakland Raiders and won Super Bows.  Here is Fields and Steelers 3-0.  

If this defense keeps up what they’ve started, the team’s ceiling with Fields is pretty high. You used examples from older eras, but Super Bowls have been won more recently by the likes of Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles, none of which are remotely close to being in the same league as Brady or Mahomes. They were all simply on the right team. Here’s hoping the Steelers will be that team for Fields.
Reply/Quote
My man, Kev. The new king of smack.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2024, 01:03 AM)kevin Wrote: Look at Jim Plunket fired by Patriots, and he ended up near his Stanford with Oakland Raiders and won Super Bows. 

I have questions.

1.  How many does he have?
2.  How do you know they are super?
3.  Is he willing to part with any?

[Image: HTB1mjWqKkCWBuNjy0Faq6xUlXXaY.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp]
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
Fields has to be QB1.  He's their only red zone offense!

But Tomlin promised Wilson he would start so we'll see.
[Image: giphy.webp]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2024, 11:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: Fields has to be QB1.  He's their only red zone offense!

But Tomlin promised Wilson he would start so we'll see.

With the offensive line injuries the Steelers would be dumb as s*** to take Fields out now.

I hope it happens.  Smirk
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2024, 01:03 AM)kevin Wrote: At Ohio State he always beat Michigan.  Now that may not seem like much to NFL Fans.   However in full stadiums of over 100 thousand fans, and fans fired up before kick-off to end of game, at Ann Arbor or Columbus, Fields never lost.  So here are The Steelers at 3-0.  See, this is Ohio State Fields.  Bears have problems, but Steelers are the type team Fields could put up Wins.  Not Stats, but Wins.  Like a Bart Starr or Len Dawson.  Plus Columbus Ohio has a lot of Steeler Fans and is not that far from Pittsburgh on I-70.  Fields at Pittsburgh is close to his Ohio State campus. 

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQA0MHhMG7us5fEVi_Jbfd...zSspV5hg&s] Wink
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2024, 12:00 PM)Synric Wrote: With the offensive line injuries the Steelers would be dumb as s*** to take Fields out now.

I hope it happens.  Smirk

Even with a good o-line why put in a 35 year old, short QB when your the other guy is making plays?

I fully expect Tomlin to do it.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 01:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: Even with a good o-line why put in a 35 year old, short QB when your the other guy is making plays?

I fully expect Tomlin to do it.

Fields had a few poor plays.  He also kept us in that game.  Pickens doesn't hold the ball like a loaf of bread?  Different game.  Watt isn't blatantly held on the Colt's second TD?  Different game.  The center QB exchange fumble was a problem throughout preseason.  That's usually on the center, but both Frazier and Fields are brand new to this offense, so it's possibly a combo of both.

Fields did more than enough to earn the starting job  Dude put up three games worth of Picket numbers in a non-garbage time comeback attempt.  This loss actually impressed me more than any of the wins.  Tomlin is sticking with him.  I have my issues with Tomlin, but I don't see him moving on from Fields any time soon, unless dude really regresses.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 07:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Fields had a few poor plays.  He also kept us in that game.  Pickens doesn't hold the ball like a loaf of bread?  Different game.  Watt isn't blatantly held on the Colt's second TD?  Different game.  The center QB exchange fumble was a problem throughout preseason.  That's usually on the center, but both Frazier and Fields are brand new to this offense, so it's possibly a combo of both.

Fields did more than enough to earn the starting job  Dude put up three games worth of Picket numbers in a non-garbage time comeback attempt.  This loss actually impressed me more than any of the wins.  Tomlin is sticking with him.  I have my issues with Tomlin, but I don't see him moving on from Fields any time soon, unless dude really regresses.

Just find it funny that you guys were tired of low offensive output, so you (understandably) moved on from your QB who was riding on the coattails of your highly ranked scoring defense. So here you are now one year later defending the QB who is tied with 2 other teams for the 22nd scoring offense in the NFL. Just 0.5 points per game better than Bryce Young+Andy Dalton on the 25th scoring offense Panthers.

Fields on pace for 13 TDs/4 INTs in 17 starts. At least he's on pace to throw for 3,000 yards for the first time in his career, I guess, assuming he holds the pace that got raised by him going against the Colts' 32nd overall defense.

[Image: Sugar-daddy-2.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 07:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just find it funny that you guys were tired of low offensive output, so you (understandably) moved on from your QB who was riding on the coattails of your highly ranked scoring defense. So here you are now one year later defending the QB who is tied with 2 other teams for the 22nd scoring offense in the NFL. Just 0.5 points per game better than Bryce Young+Andy Dalton on the 25th scoring offense Panthers.

Fields on pace for 13 TDs/4 INTs in 17 starts. At least he's on pace to throw for 3,000 yards for the first time in his career, I guess.

I'm looking for improvement, and I'm seeing it with each game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not sold on Fields as a long term starter.  I need a solid two years from a QB before I'm willing to label them as such.  But Fields is playing better than Picket ever did, so he's at least an upgrade in that regard and he cost us nothing.  I don't think the "on pace" argument holds much water due to his consistent improvement, but time will tell.  Lastly, our defense was abysmal against an, IMO, average Colts offense, definitely an off game.  But Fields kept us in it.  So, yeah, he's not the second coming of Ben by any means, but he gives us reason to be optimistic.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 07:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just find it funny that you guys were tired of low offensive output, so you (understandably) moved on from your QB who was riding on the coattails of your highly ranked scoring defense. So here you are now one year later defending the QB who is tied with 2 other teams for the 22nd scoring offense in the NFL. Just 0.5 points per game better than Bryce Young+Andy Dalton on the 25th scoring offense Panthers.

Fields on pace for 13 TDs/4 INTs in 17 starts. At least he's on pace to throw for 3,000 yards for the first time in his career, I guess, assuming he holds the pace that got raised by him going against the Colts' 32nd overall defense.

That is all Tomlin.  I've said it for years that he is so afraid of turnovers that he wants the team to play ultra-conservative.

He leaves no room for error.  And I've also said that because of that, since no team plays perfect every week, he sets the team up for failure.  Not every bounce/call will go your way every week and you have to be ready to overcome that.

When he had Ben and AB and other stars they could extend plays and make things happen to overcome bad play calling.  I truly believe Tomlin doesn't like that at all.

Last week the offense didn't change strategy until the second half because he wants the defense to win the game.

He even said they didn't prepare for Flacco and that was a problem.  They were trying to stay in a zone to confuse Richardson.

Well Richardson was carving them up and you have the highest paid D in the league...they should be open to change during the game.

Under MT the Steelers will never be a high scoring team again.  
Reply/Quote