Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Athletic … Mailbag Part 2
(06-29-2022, 12:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Bengals tend to sign players to extensions around August. Could you see them extending Germaine Pratt or Vonn Bell? — Maan Aboulhosn

Neither is likely. The Bell idea would be interesting strictly because of his role as a leader and quality starter at his position. Also, you wouldn’t be talking about breaking the bank. Perhaps a one- or two-year extension of the current deal that averages $6 million per year.

Two problems work against him. Bell will turn 28 in December. The Bengals are rarely willing to sign up for third-contract years that could flow into the 30s. You could make an argument for Bell as an exception if he were willing to do two years and $12 million added on, but then there’s the other problem. Cincinnati drafted two safeties in April, not just one. In an ideal world for them, Dax Hill and Tycen Anderson are the starters next year at safety. That might not come to fruition, but I imagine the Bengals would at least like to see the two play before making any decisions to keep an older, more expensive player at their position.

This doesn't make any sense to me. for 2 reasons.

1.  I like Tycen Anderson, but I don't think a championship level team should be counting on a 5th round pick to start and play at a championship level in just his second year.  I know everyone has a list of fifth round players who became stars, but over the years the numbers prove that it is highly unlikely that a 5th round pick will become a good starter.  I understand the idea of wanting to see how good Anderson is, but if he does not pan out then we would be forced to pay Bell full market value instead of getting him with the "extension security" discount price.

2.  Bell is 27.  I agree that they we should not give him a big long-term deal, but he has become a leader on the defense and I would gladly give him a 3 year extension if he would sign for a reasonable amount.  Most players will take less per year for the added security of not having to worry about getting injured in the last year of their current contract.  A three year extension would be right on line with what a lot of Bengals have gotten recently.  That would mean he was under contract through the '25 season, and he would not turn 31 until late that season (December).  La'el Collins is almost a year-and-a-half older than Bell and he is signed through '24.  Mike Hilton is almost a full year older and he is also signed through '24.  Alex Cappa is just 46 days younger than Bell and he is signed through '25.  Sam Hubbard is only 6 months younger than Bell and he is also signed through '25.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic … Mailbag Part 2 - fredtoast - 06-29-2022, 11:39 PM