Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Window is open free agency and draft
(01-28-2016, 08:54 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Why take 2 DTs?

I don't like anything from this draft sorry..

As was mentioned below, we have Geno and Peko. That's it. 2 DT.  Marcus Hardison is an unknown and the Williams kid on the practice squad is even more so.

Also The 2nd DT, Chris Jones, could swing to DE as well for when we release Hunt and/or Gilberry.

(01-28-2016, 09:15 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Always enjoy your contributions to the draft forum.

Love draft rounds 1 and 2.

I could see  2 DTs again.  We seem to love our picks in pairs.

One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb: Are you anti-puntite? Huber is a pro bowl caliber punter. Punters are people, too...

Nope LOL   Huber has a bigish cap hit this year (3 mil).  The Anger kid from Jacksonville is a free agent this year and has comparable stats to Huber. saving money is saving money.

(01-28-2016, 09:47 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Drafting 2 DTs is good. Re-signing Thompson and Drafting 2 DTs is a little odd.

If we draft 2 DTs we'd need 2 spots from DTs.

(01-29-2016, 03:34 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: then there is no reason to re-sign him until he shows he can move like he used to. His game was entirely predicated on his ability to win off the snap. 

Thompson was a bit of a curve ball.  I anticipated him starting season on the PUP list and if we don't need him he gets cut.  If someone gets banged up or the younger guys can't step in then we have an experienced guy who can come in midway through the season. The 1 year deal offered in this scenario makes it possible to use him this way.
(01-29-2016, 05:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Thompson tore his ACL about the same time Ogbuehi did last year right? Im thinking pup all day.

This guy ^^

(01-29-2016, 11:33 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: I am ok with 2 DT, but don't think it is necessary to take them until the second/third or later.  I don't see a huge drop off from a player like Clark and guys like Vander'does, Collins, etc.

I am all for a DE, but I think Kaufusi is a stretch in the 2nd.  He has shown well recently, but his tape shows a guy that struggles getting off blocks.  If he doesn't beat the blocker off the snap he struggles.

I like the idea of WR, but once again... I think there is better value and more proven talent available in the 5th.

I do love the idea of stealing Milliner from the Jets though.  A change of scenery could do him good.

The DT thinking went like this.  Peko is getting older, we need a dynamic run stuffing guy first who also has some agility to capitalize on the attention Geno and Dunlap get.  We could take a shot later in the draft, but it is a pretty big need and the DT class is a good class, but top heavy.  The other big needs of LB and CB will most likely have been cherry picked by the 24th pick, making the deep DT also most likely BPA.

I understand about Kaufusi. Ideally we could get him in the 3rd, but he looks to have "clicked" and is putting his game together at just the right time. Late 2nd for him now seems ideal, if not a bit late from what the buzz is.

Can't argue about the 3rd point.  There might very well be better in the 5th.  Sharpe is a guy I was moderately impressed with that CBS had right around this range in the draft.

(01-29-2016, 07:50 PM)Okeana Wrote: ...  We have two pro bowl caliber players in their prime and you want to let them walk.  especially when they love this city and we can probably get them at a discount.  Our defense was among the best in the nfl last season and your building as if were one of the worse in the league.  I agree that peko needs an upgrade, but sims is a serviceable backup.  Its been proven that when johnson is on the line that it improves atkins and dunlap.  Chemistry means something in this league not just individual stats.

as far as the draft goes why would you not take a line backer.   Its one of the strongest round 1 line backer classes in a long time and its probably the biggest need on the team.  Keeping Sanu would be a mistake the guy offers little to the team in terms of performance and getting another stud on the roster would just make jones/green combo better.

..... BTW im 100% behind Barron and drafting Jaylon Smith or Darron Lee.  It will allow us to develop them behind 3 starters and eventually put them in when Burfict moves to the middle. 

Both are older, and I think Iloka can take Nelson's spot with not much downside.  We can't keep everyone and I would rather keep the young up and comer than hope the sun doesn't set too soon on Nelson.  As to Adam Jones, he is 50/50 for me to come back.  He likes it here and (mostly) reinvented himself here.  However, he has that massive judgement against him from the shooting, was broke from what I have read and this is his last chance to get a sizeable contract on the open market.. It's a coin flip here.

As to the LB.  Jack, Smith and Ragland will almost certainly be gone before our pick.  Signing Mark Barron would be more impactful than any of the 2nd tier guys.  I do like Blake Martinez from Stanford, but he is an ILB and a low round projection. 

That's it for now. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Window is open free agency and draft - Burma - 02-02-2016, 08:12 PM