Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Bengals stop using hybrid defenses?
(11-04-2020, 04:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: I am going to say yes and this is my reasoning. Feel free to disagree but at least state why.

First, I think the constantly changing and weird sets are hampering the progress of our young linebackers. We actually can field a LB core for a 4-3 (Pratt, Wilson, ADG) or a 3-4 (Pratt, Bynes, Wilson, ADG) and if we would pick one and stick to it as the base these young backers would be able to develop as a unit and would not have constantly changing areas they have to cover - which leads to confusion especially with inexperienced players.

Second, picking either 4-3 or 3-4 and sticking to it as the base would help the defense develop some kind of identity. Right now they play like 11 players sent out there unsure of their responsibilities and not really feeling what they as a group are good at.

Whether they did 4-3 or 3-4 pick one. Right now with the depleted DL we might be better at 3-4 but either way choose one and stick with it both in practice and in play.

I agree, too complicated on Defense and it shows with the Linebackers and Secondary big time. Even Bynes seems confused 
out there and he is a long tenured veteran. Also we need to do less Zone coverage on the back end and more Man coverage.

Good point about the D-line, going to a 3-4 might be a good way to go if Covington or Xavier Williams could handle the NT 
but I don't know if they can. Thinking a 4-3 with Pratt, Wilson and ADG is best for what we have at this point. When we lost
Reader the 3-4 kind of went out the window.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should the Bengals stop using hybrid defenses? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 11-04-2020, 05:05 PM