Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1 bad and 1 good off-season addition
Good: Cam Sample and Joseph Ossai. The end position badly needed some depth, and the two guys they got have potential to grow into more than that. Instead of retreads backing up Hubbard and Hendrickson, they have legitimate candidates for real production.

Bad: I'd say retaining the staff, as I still have very little faith in the Taylor regime to be the one that takes this group where we want it to go, but I guess three seasons isn't too much to ask when it comes to roster-building.

I'll give my bad vote to not going all-out on the line. I like the Reiff addition and am not as down on carman as many here. That said, I think they could have gone a lot bigger in finding a proven commodity.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:25 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: We had reader and nobody else tho, but geno with 1 arm.

Hubbard did nothing before his injury but was a beast once he got back.  Lawson was up and down. 

We have the pieces now,  especially depth so it will show this year but we was in bad shape from day 1 on D with wayans first to go and it just kept going.  
Bynes was super slow as well. 

Will be fine with Lou. We got the players now. 

I think the reason Lou has been called for firing in the last year or two is because when we hired him he wasn't even an "up and coming" coach. I mean, he was the Dolphins' DB coach, he was given the interim DC job, but then demoted back down to DB coach at the end of the season. He wasn't really "in demand" when we hired him, which gave off the stench of another Taylor friend hiring, similar to Jim Turner.

Then the fact that our defense has been pretty bad in his two years along with a really bad pass rush, which was considered an average pass rush until he got here with mostly the same players, and his alienation of players (Dunlap demanded to be traded and Bates even said he felt like he couldn't ask any questions in his first year with Lou) led many to just want to start over. Why continue poisoning the well?

We have a low profile DC who has never had any success, has alienated several members of his defense and seems like he got the job in the first place through nepotism. Why wouldn't you fire that coach?
Reply/Quote
BAD... Riley Reiff

It's not that he is worse than Hart. It is the fact that he is 32 and needs a new contract AND if you go Chase in Rd 1 why not spend in FA and get an absolute stud, (i.e. Trent Williams)? I don't like a stop-gap tackle as a patch on a porous line.

So we did nothing to really fix the OL for the future. A signing of someone like Moton (26-years old) would at least be a teammate that grows with the team as well as being a solid upgrade.

GOOD... Mike Hilton

Not big or flashy in the media. But the guy has INTs and Sacks in each of his first 4 years. He also has forced fumbles in 3 out of 4 of those years. Our D desperately needs TOs... And this guy has the record.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good move: Drafting Chase

Bad move: Keeping Taylor

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 05:43 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: BAD... Riley Reiff

It's not that he is worse than Hart. It is the fact that he is 32 and needs a new contract AND if you go Chase in Rd 1 why not spend in FA and get an absolute stud, (i.e. Trent Williams)? I don't like a stop-gap tackle as a patch on a porous line.

So we did nothing to really fix the OL for the future. A signing of someone like Moton (26-years old) would at least be a teammate that grows with the team as well as being a solid upgrade.

GOOD... Mike Hilton

Not big or flashy in the media. But the guy has INTs and Sacks in each of his first 4 years. He also has forced fumbles in 3 out of 4 of those years. Our D desperately needs TOs... And this guy has the record.

I wonder if Ram fans felt that way when they signed Whitworth? That seemed to work out just fine for them. Let's hope the same happens here with Reiff. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 11:27 AM)Mer Wrote: I wonder if Ram fans felt that way when they signed Whitworth? That seemed to work out just fine for them. Let's hope the same happens here with Reiff. 

No shit, plus it was the year of 1 year deals all across the league. I take no merit in this, if he plays well we will re-sign him and 
D'Ante Smith is the perfect type of talent to learn behind him. To act like getting Riley Reiff is a bad thing is just insanity.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:11 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: I don't get the lou hate,  we were decimated by injuries last year, nobody could have a good D with types of pressures or lack their off from out line,  think we did good alot of the times with what we had especially shutting Lamar down that first meeting, offense couldn't score tho. 

What has Lou done on the defensive side of the ball in the 2 years he's been here?  Ranked 27th and I think 24th in the NFL in defense?  I can see the reason fans are skeptical.   I think that's the biggest question on this team because I have no clue if Lou can coach.  Hell for that matter, Zac's only shown glimpses he can call a good offensive game. 

So when you see the question marks on this team....they all start with the coaching staff....Doesn't help that coahcing staff is 6-25-1 up to this point.  
Reply/Quote
I have multiples.

Good moves. Low key variety.

FA = Hilton. I liked Alexander but I think Hilton is an upgrade.

Draft = mid-round DL picks: Ossai, C. Sample, Mack. The DL was terrible last year. Injuries played a part, but so did lack of talent/depth.

Coaching = Pollack.

Bad Moves.

Coaching = Retaining ZT & Lou.

I hate scheme coaches. Adapt to what you have. ZT is WAAAY too pass happy (got Burrow killed). Is a poor judge of other coaches (Turner) and a poor game manager. And not that good a playcaller.

Likewise, Lou gets less out of more better than anyone I've ever seen (WJ3, Dunlap, etc). His passivity and tendency to drop DEs into coverage just does not work. At least he has better zone guys this year (Hilton, Awuzie) and a DE who can, maybe, cover a bit (Ossai). No more excuses.

Players = not doing more to bolster the OL.

Look. I know we had a lot of holes. We needed a deep threat/WR1 & Chase fits the bill. We desperately needed DL help and secondary with WJ3 + Alexander gone, and better depth at CB.

But Burrow is our future and must be protected. That unit was terrible. We upgraded to mediocre and are relying on Pollack to fix everything with Turner's guys + Reiff (better pass blocker than Hart but worse run blocker) and a rookie OT who is switching to guard. Smith & Hill are not likely to contribute this year.

I'd much rather have one more stud OL and $10 million less in cap space. We went bargain bin on OL, again.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 07:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Bad Moves.

Coaching = Retaining ZT & Lou.

I hate scheme coaches. Adapt to what you have. ZT is WAAAY too pass happy (got Burrow killed). Is a poor judge of other coaches (Turner) and a poor game manager. And not that good a playcaller.

Likewise, Lou gets less out of more better than anyone I've ever seen (WJ3, Dunlap, etc). His passivity and tendency to drop DEs into coverage just does not work. At least he has better zone guys this year (Hilton, Awuzie) and a DE who can, maybe, cover a bit (Ossai). No more excuses.

1. Is Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan's offense too pass heavy or has the run game not been successful and they are forced to rely on the pass offense to move the ball?

2. Every DC in the NFL drops their edges into coverage and brings LBs and DBs. The Ravens probably do that more than any team in the league.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Alright here is mine:

Good- Larry Ogunjobi, we really needed a 3T last year and I think him and Reader will set up the front 4 nicely.

Bad- not really addressing the #4 WR, I just dont like the depth behind Chase, Boyd, and Higgins. I would have liked someone who actually fit that #3/4 guy.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 09:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Good Move: Signing Trey Hendrickson... not sure if he will reach 13.5 sacks again, but I like that he was a finisher in his pressures. Good number of TFL, too, and still young enough to keep getting better. We'll see if Lou is capable of setting him up for success.

Bad Move: Releasing Geno Atkins... he'll be with 2 healthy shoulders by the time the season rolls around and I won't bet against the future HoFer. It isn't how I would have liked for him to leave Cincinnati, and even worse they did basically nothing with the cap space, sitting on $25m right now.

I believe the $25m is a strategy to get another high level OL when cap cuts occur.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 09:52 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I believe the $25m is a strategy to get another high level OL when cap cuts occur.

I think it's planning for next year when all the 1 year deals expire. Bengals will be in prime shape for free agency signing time hanging on to the extra cash..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Or how about this (off nfl.com)...

13) Kyle Rudolph, TE, Minnesota Vikings: Rudolph has mentioned not being thrilled about his role in Minnesota and has zero interest in taking a pay cut. Perhaps the Elder High legend could return home to Cincinnati for the final years of his career.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 07:36 PM)Synric Wrote: 1. Is Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan's offense too pass heavy or has the run game not been successful and they are forced to rely on the pass offense to move the ball?

2. Every DC in the NFL drops their edges into coverage and brings LBs and DBs. The Ravens probably do that more than any team in the league.

Only problem with including the Ravens is they have a competent and damn good defensive coordinator who knows wtf to do with their personnel.  I would take Wink Martindale as DC or Head Coach of the Bengals over both the idiots in those rolls right now.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Good- The DT from Cleveland

Bad- Cutting Geno

He wasn't worth a quarter of what we would have had to pay him. No Thanks...
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 05:43 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: BAD... Riley Reiff

Moton was Tagged so you couldn't sign him.

Furthermore, there were literally 0 guys like Moton, available at the time (Moses is one such guy, but he only became available last week or whenever).

To say Reiff is a bad signing is obtuse at worst.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 10:42 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Just was curious and wanted to know what is one under the radar signing, move or addition you liked this off season and one dislike.

-GOOD- I know I might be one of the few but I'm excited about the kicker we have (also love the trades back in the draft to be able to grab him). It may be small, and I haven't seen alot of him but I already have more confidence in McPherson  than  randy.  I feel for the first time in a while I won't be cringing on hoping on kicks. I feel he can be really consistent,  won't be j. Tucker  automatic but I think he can be close.

- BAD- I'm still salty and don't understand  not keeping m. Alexander.  Felt he was am easy resign and brought alot to our defense last year especially in that steelers Monday night game. I know we signed a few others but still feel m. Alexander would be better than all of our signings (maybe Hilton can be better) but idk just don't get that.

Agreed on M Alexander...All I saw was a guy that came in covered well, has not afraid to hit ,and made plays for us. Hoping Hilton takes it to a new level but yea, that was also a head scratcher to me. My under radar more and more is the RB Chris Evans. He looks like a great pick up and will boot Trayveon Williams off that spot. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 10:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is he 100% from the surgery? Not sure. It was always absurd that they had a guy out there ineffectively playing with one arm rather than shutting him down and getting him the surgery he needed. Bengals also kind of screwed him by waiting until the big spending was done before releasing him. 

I do know the word is he's had talks with the Seahawks, Vikings, and Jags. Can't imagine he comes back here, cheaper no less, to play for Lou. Two of those teams are probably going to the playoffs this year. (Vikings might be division favorites in a Rodgers-less division.)

I heard Cowboys are seriously kicking the tires...good thing with that he wont have an opportunity to Blow out Burrows knee as we already played them last season....unless of course a miracle happens and we meet in Superbowl!
Reply/Quote
Good - Bringing back Frank Pollack. He's a definite upgrade over Turner.

Bad - Retaining Anarumo and Taylor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 10:52 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Moton was Tagged so you couldn't sign him.

Furthermore, there were literally 0 guys like Moton, available at the time (Moses is one such guy, but he only became available last week or whenever).

To say Reiff is a bad signing is obtuse at worst.

Reiff wasn't a bad signing, but unless he's re-signed, he's a 1-year stopgap.
People don't feel confident in the RT position beyond 2021, as Carman may be stuck at OG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote