Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$10,000 lottery to vote in philly
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/10/27/philadelphia-voters-offered-10k-lottery-incentive

What a joke. Just Asking for fraud.

uninformed voting does no one any good anyway.
We don't need more voters. We need more viable candidates.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Quote:Philadelphia is so "desperate" for voters that $10,000 will now be offered to anyone who casts a ballot in its upcoming mayoral election, a nonprofit group has announced.

A little misleading there Fox.

I'm right there with you, civic participation should be incentivized by the act of changing the situation for the better, not a possible monetary reward. But those complacent in rampant gerrymandering and voter suppression practices are the scum of the earth imho.
(10-28-2015, 04:50 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: A little misleading there Fox.  

I'm right there with you, civic participation should be incentivized by the act of changing the situation for the better, not a possible monetary reward.  But those complacent in rampant gerrymandering and voter suppression practices are the scum of the earth imho.

There is no outside voter suppression. Voters suppress themselves when they don't pay attention to the issues and either vote out of guilt or to say they voted for the token.

Either way these are not the voters who help anyone. I wish they would stay home and keep suppressing themselves until they decide to educate themselves on the issues so they can make an informed decision. Which ever way they vote.
(10-28-2015, 05:02 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: There is no outside voter suppression.   Voters suppress themselves when they don't pay attention to the issues and either vote out of guilt or to say they voted for the token.  

Either way these are not the voters who help anyone.  I wish they would stay home and keep suppressing themselves until they decide to educate themselves on the issues so they can make an informed decision.   Which ever way they vote.

I'm not saying this is a case of voter suppression, clearly.  Are you saying that voter suppression tactics have not been utilized in recent history?  Registration issues, ID's requirements and constrictive poll hours are all tactics in place today.  
(10-28-2015, 05:26 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I'm not saying this is a case of voter suppression, clearly.  Are you saying that voter suppression tactics have not been utilized in recent history?  Registration issues, ID's requirements and constrictive poll hours are all tactics in place today.  

Not saying you were claiming it in this instance. Was speaking in general.

We have month long early voting. Do not require any photo ID to vote . We allow 3rd party groups to register and give people gifts on voting day.

I do not think getting a free photo voter id is suppressing anyone . I can order a drivers license over the Internet.

I believe there is more fraud in "get out the vote" than in any of these ID cases. Which never stops anyone from casting a vote.
It's pathetic that we have to give an incentive to get people to participate in democracy.
(10-28-2015, 06:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not saying you were claiming it in this instance.   Was speaking in general.  

We have month long early voting.   Do not require any photo ID to vote .  We allow 3rd party groups to register and give people gifts on voting day.  

I do not think getting a free photo voter id is suppressing anyone .  I can order a drivers license over the Internet.  

I believe there is more fraud in "get out the vote" than in any of these ID cases.   Which never stops anyone from casting a vote.

Voter fraud is wildly overexagerated by the right.

ID are easier to obtain for some people to obtain than others.  You're month long early voting is the exception and not the norm.  Fresh out of college I had to scramble from my day job to hit my polling center in time to vote.  A single parent in the same situation would never have been able to pull that off. 
(10-28-2015, 06:32 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Voter fraud is wildly overexagerated by the right.

ID are easier to obtain for some people to obtain than others.  You're month long early voting is the exception and not the norm.  Fresh out of college I had to scramble from my day job to hit my polling center in time to vote.  A single parent in the same situation would never have been able to pull that off. 

They need to get rid of early voting and Mandate picture ID. Allow a 18 hour voting window . If you can't vote in that time then it's just not that important to you.

I don't need to exaggerate voter fraud because I see ACORN having to change names after they were caught. I see black panthers waiting outside polling locations holding weapons.
(10-28-2015, 08:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They need to get rid of early voting and Mandate picture ID.   Allow a 18 hour voting window .  If you can't vote in that time then it's just not that important to you.  

Because everyone has the same freedoms schedule flexibility as you and I.  

Talk about taking an acknowledgement of ones own privilege to another level, you prefer to flaunt it in the faces of those lacking it.  Good for you bud.
(10-28-2015, 09:01 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Because everyone has the same freedoms schedule flexibility as you and I.  

Talk about taking an acknowledgement of ones own privilege to another level, you prefer to flaunt it in the faces of those lacking it.  Good for you bud.

Can't find 15 minutes in and 18 hour block? No one is that busy. And you can always vote by mail ahead of time.
(10-28-2015, 09:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Can't find 15 minutes in and 18 hour block? No one is that busy. And you can always vote by mail ahead of time.

15 minutes? The time to travel to the polls and vote is an hour, minimum, for me. Employers (and I work for the government mind you) don't let you out to vote usually. I am fortunate enough not to have children to hinder my abilities to spend that 1-2 hours that I have to spend in line after work to vote. I only have to delay my dinner (well, my wife's too) and usually have nothing besides that. Families may have a harder time.

And mailing a ballot? Unless you're actually not around for election day, that doesn't fly here. Early voting isn't something they just let anyone do.
(10-28-2015, 09:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Can't find 15 minutes in and 18 hour block?  No one is that busy.   And you can always vote by mail ahead of time.

LMAO

Some of us have jobs. I've worked 24 hours shifts and couldn't find 15 minutes in 18 hours. You're not voting in 15 minutes where I live. If you eliminate early voting and limit it to an 18 hour window the line will be even longer before and after work. 
Finding 1 hour in an 18 hour window isn't too much to ask:

And like I said you can always request a mail ballot ahead of time.

It's just about where you place priorities. Which is the problem. If it's not important to you then maybe you shouldn't be voting.
If people wanted to vote and got excited to be get engaged in the process .... Then philly wouldn't be having a lottery with a 10k purse to vote
(10-28-2015, 10:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Finding 1 hour in an 18 hour window isn't too much to ask:  

It's just about where you place priorities.  Which is the problem.  If it's not important to you then maybe you shouldn't be voting.

Is it one hour or 15 minutes?
(10-28-2015, 10:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If people wanted to vote and got excited to be get engaged in the process ....   Then philly wouldn't be having a lottery with a 10k purse to vote

Excited?  Which one of these presidential hopefuls am I supposed to be excited about?  LOL
(10-28-2015, 10:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Finding 1 hour in an 18 hour window isn't too much to ask:

It's just about where you place priorities. Which is the problem. If it's not important to you then maybe you shouldn't be voting.

18 hours in a 24 hour period. 2 hours of that, sleep. Since most people work more than 8 hours, we shall say 9 is work. So we are already down to 7. One hour for each meal (assuming healthy eating habits), hour for making dinner as well. So now we are down to 3. Of course we haven't even talked about the personal hygiene for the day or dealing with any other commitments one may have, be they familial, religious, scholastic, etc.

Yeah, please, keep on telling me how easy it is. Granted, I make sure to find the time, but I know and recognize how hard it can be to find that time.

And again, as I said before, not everywhere allows you to just request a paper ballot to mail in. That doesn't fly around here.
(10-28-2015, 10:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Is it one hour or 15 minutes?

My voting station is down the street from my office. Whether it took me 15 mins, an hour.... I am still voting . Because it's important to me
(10-28-2015, 10:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: 18 hours in a 24 hour period. 2 hours of that, sleep. Since most people work more than 8 hours, we shall say 9 is work. So we are already down to 7. One hour for each meal (assuming healthy eating habits), hour for making dinner as well. So now we are down to 3. Of course we haven't even talked about the personal hygiene for the day or dealing with any other commitments one may have, be they familial, religious, scholastic, etc.

Yeah, please, keep on telling me how easy it is. Granted, I make sure to find the time, but I know and recognize how hard it can be to find that time.

And again, as I said before, not everywhere allows you to just request a paper ballot to mail in. That doesn't fly around here.

Funny how that works out when it matters to you.