Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 people injured at KC Super Bowl Parade
As the parade was wrapping up shots were fired near KC's Union Station. 10 people have been injured, 2 people are in custody. No news yet to know what the motive was or if the shooting was in any way actually aimed at the parade

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Football and guns. Doesn't get much more American than that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 05:43 PM)pally Wrote: As the parade was wrapping up shots were fired near KC's Union Station.  10 people have been injured, 2 people are in custody.  No news yet to know what the motive was or if the shooting was in any way actually aimed at the parade

Gang bangers will gang bang.

Reply/Quote
Man that’s nuts. I read they detained a couple of people.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Patrick Mahommes tweeted that he's praying for the victims, so he's already shown he can handle the full-time schedule of a politician these days.
Reply/Quote
Kansas City Children's Mercy Hospital is treating 12 patients...11 are children with 10 of those having gun shot wounds

Reply/Quote
press conference update

1 dead
22 injured

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 08:26 PM)pally Wrote: press conference update

1 dead
22 injured

Very sad.  All the earmarks of a gang related spray and pray.  

Reply/Quote
There should be a fast track to the needle for people who do this. Double when there are children.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Do you think public executions would help deter some of this?

You know. Bring the fam down to the town center to watch the weekly hanging of some asshole who shot a place up and wrecked the lives of a bunch of innocent people.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 09:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Do you think public executions would help deter some of this?

You know. Bring the fam down to the town center to watch the weekly hanging of some asshole who shot a place up and wrecked the lives of a bunch of innocent people.

It could stop some. There’s no way of knowing. Others wouldn’t think twice. For me, some crimes deserve death regardless of deterrence.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 09:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Do you think public executions would help deter some of this?

Historically speaking, no. Then again, I don't really have any interest in showing up to watch people get killed or tortured, whether they deserve it or not. I assume we're being hyperbolic and joking a bit to deal with the cynical reality that we are living in, but I don't think I'd partake in such a spectacle and I certainly wouldn't bring my family along for it.

Now if you would have asked me this when I was aged 10-19 or so, I would have said that people being executed in public would be awesome and very effective.  
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 10:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Historically speaking, no. Then again, I don't really have any interest in showing up to watch people get killed or tortured, whether they deserve it or not. I assume we're being hyperbolic and joking a bit to deal with the cynical reality that we are living in, but I don't think I'd partake in such a spectacle and I certainly wouldn't bring my family along for it.

Now if you would have asked me this when I was aged 10-19 or so, I would have said that people being executed in public would be awesome and very effective.  

Sadly not.

We know guns ain’t going anywhere.
Thoughts and prayers failed to stop another one.

So it’s either robocops/terminators.
Or we could try a more uncomfortable approach and start making examples out of people.

Or option C. Make a TikTok video singing and dancing about don’t do a mass shooting.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 10:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Sadly not.

We know guns ain’t going anywhere.
Thoughts and prayers failed to stop another one.

So it’s either robocops/terminators.
Or we could try a more uncomfortable approach and start making examples out of people.

Or option C. Make a TikTok video singing and dancing about don’t do a mass shooting.

It might work.  I'm just saying that public executions are one of those things that "shithole countries/societies" tended to do. A general rule of thumb when it comes to improving your own situation is to not do what those sorts of places/periods do/did.  From what people say there are videos out there of people being killed and tortured and other unpleasant realities.  I don't think the people who seek out that sort of thing are more well adjusted than the average bloke, but I don't know that.

I'm not saying I'm right here, I just find it a bit depressing when I hear people openly lament that more people aren't being killed in public, or dying in the street because they're "too lazy to have insurance" or starving because they're poor, or otherwise getting a fatal punishment for their perceived wrongs/failings.  Brining back public executions or gibbeting or other shows of the ultimate draconian power of the government over the unruly populace just seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.

This is before we bring into the argument that half of the country right now feels like our justice system is completely biased and corrupt and framing people and faking stuff like mass shootings, so now we're going to give the government the blanket right to execute them while we all watch?  Ehh, I'd be wary of wanting this sort of thing, that's all I'm saying.  Between this and our insistence that our leaders are vessels of god, we're really skipping past turning the clock back to the good ol' 1950's and going right to turning things back to the dark ages.  Freaky.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 08:26 PM)pally Wrote: press conference update

1 dead
22 injured

Thanks for the update, let's pray all 22 recover physically and mentally.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 10:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It might work.  I'm just saying that public executions are one of those things that "shithole countries/societies" tended to do. A general rule of thumb when it comes to improving your own situation is to not do what those sorts of places/periods do/did.  From what people say there are videos out there of people being killed and tortured and other unpleasant realities.  I don't think the people who seek out that sort of thing are more well adjusted than the average bloke, but I don't know that.

I'm not saying I'm right here, I just find it a bit depressing when I hear people openly lament that more people aren't being killed in public, or dying in the street because they're "too lazy to have insurance" or starving because they're poor, or otherwise getting a fatal punishment for their perceived wrongs/failings.  Brining back public executions or gibbeting or other shows of the ultimate draconian power of the government over the unruly populace just seems like a step in the wrong direction to me.

This is before we bring into the argument that half of the country right now feels like our justice system is completely biased and corrupt and framing people and faking stuff like mass shootings, so now we're going to give the government the blanket right to execute them while we all watch?  Ehh, I'd be wary of wanting this sort of thing, that's all I'm saying.  Between this and our insistence that our leaders are vessels of god, we're really skipping past turning the clock back to the good ol' 1950's and going right to turning things back to the dark ages.  Freaky.

I generally follow that train of thought on not going back to the dark ages. But I'm out of ideas for solutions to the problem. Prisons are over crowded. And people with death penalties and life without parole sentences who are clearly guilty spending years hanging out in prison is tax money I would rather spend elsewhere and one of the issues I've always had with the justice system. So I'm willing to think outside the box. Kill two birds with one stone. Eww now there's and idea. Maybe let the people in the crowds that get shot up stone the shooter/s. Good old fashioned biblical stoning? Put it on TV. Then the next school that gets shot up we'll do a wake/pep rally/stoning and let the kids do it. Make a tiktok video of the kids going nuts taking revenge and maybe the next kid thinking about shooting up a school will think twice? Shocked

WTF
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 02:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I generally follow that train of thought on not going back to the dark ages. But I'm out of ideas for solutions to the problem. Prisons are over crowded. And people with death penalties and life without parole sentences who are clearly guilty spending years hanging out in prison is tax money I would rather spend elsewhere and one of the issues I've always had with the justice system. So I'm willing to think outside the box. Kill two birds with one stone. Eww now there's and idea. Maybe let the people in the crowds that get shot up stone the shooter/s. Good old fashioned biblical stoning? Put it on TV. Then the next school that gets shot up we'll do a wake/pep rally/stoning and let the kids do it. Make a tiktok video of the kids going nuts taking revenge and maybe the next kid thinking about shooting up a school will think twice? 

I think you're a well intentioned person who makes posts that reflect their personal position, not a predetermined narrative.  That being the case I will share the following, completely fact based post.  Since around 1992 the crime rate steadily declined year by year.  Whether the previous high crime rate was solely driven by racism (it definitely was in part), poor policy decisions (it definitely was in part), or just general inequity (it definitely was in part), a movement took hold that started to use some fact based solutions.  It was found that a solid percentage of crime, well over 50%, was committed by a relatively small percentage, under 10%, of criminal recidivists.  Laws were made to increase penalties on this population, the result being a steady, with some minor hiccups, drop in the crime rate for close to thirty years.

Then, for some reason (tongue firmly in cheek) a change in the criminal justice system was seen in 2020.  The criminal justice system was branded as irredeemably racist.  Punishments for those who were seen as disadvantaged were determined to be furthering this racist system.  Prosecutors campaigned, and won, on taking a soft on criminal approach for these very reasons (research current Oakland, CA for an excellent example).  Criminals began to be undercharged, sometimes not charged at all, all in the name of smashing this intentionally racist, patriarchal, system.  The crime rate increased, the pandemic was blamed.  The crime rate remained higher after the pandemic ended, further excuses were sought.

The bottom line is the crime rate was steadily decreasing for close to thirty years, then something changed.  Solution?  Change what you changed.  Aggressively charge, and convict, recidivist criminals.  Prioritize the law abiding over the career criminal.  Hold the criminal accountable to the highest extent of the law.  Watch crime return to continuously decreasing levels.  Or continue doing what's been done for the past four years and get the same results.
Reply/Quote
Crime did indeed see a spike in 2020.

But it was also rising in 2019.  And had leveled off since then. And is decreasing now.

https://cde.ucr.cjis.gov/LATEST/webapp/#/pages/explorer/crime/crime-trend

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-15-094021.png]

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/us-crime-rates-and-trends-analysis-fbi-crime-statistics

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-15-094354.png]

*SOME* crimes are rising, but overall violent crime is down.

https://www.statista.com/chart/31063/violent-and-other-crime-rates-us/

[Image: 31063.jpeg]

It's possible that ones opinion of crime rising is based more on location bias as certain areas, particularly in the west have seen a rise where other areas of the country have not.

Again: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/us-crime-rates-and-trends-analysis-fbi-crime-statistics

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-15-094529.png]

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-15-094549.png]

That's not to say that the people affected by violent crimes are wrong to say there should be harsh penalties for the convicted criminals, especially repeat offenders.  I'm just pointing out that whatever "changed" crime is headed back down again for the most part.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 11:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Crime did indeed see a spike in 2020.

But it was also rising in 2019.  And had leveled off since then. And is decreasing now.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/us-crime-rates-and-trends-analysis-fbi-crime-statistics

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-15-094354.png]

*SOME* crimes are rising, but overall violent crime is down.

https://www.statista.com/chart/31063/violent-and-other-crime-rates-us/

It's possible that ones opinion of crime rising is based more on location bias as certain areas, particularly in the west have seen a rise where other areas of the country have not.

Again: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/us-crime-rates-and-trends-analysis-fbi-crime-statistics

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-15-094529.png]

[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-15-094549.png]

That's not to say that the people affected by violent crimes are wrong to say there should be harsh penalties for the convicted criminals, especially repeat offenders.  I'm just pointing out that whatever "changed" crime is headed back down again for the most part.

Yes, nationally rates are returning to pre Biden levels.  In areas run by non-Dems the rate drops.  In areas run by Dems, especially with "progressive" prosecutors, they are not.  Your own source shows this, and it's only gotten worse in some areas.  Oakland is a prime example of a location that has seen a massive spike in criminal conduct since the current POS DA was elected in 2022 (I guess the people of Oakland saw what was going on in San Francisco and LA and said, "I'll have what she's having").

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/06/business/oakland-crime-business/index.html

Robberies grew 38% last year in Oakland, according to police data. Burglaries increased 23%. Motor vehicle theft jumped 44%. Roughly one of every 30 Oakland residents had a car stolen last year, according to a San Francisco Chronicle analysis.

The reason is clear.  Elect a soft on crime, the criminal justice system is systemically racist, progressive DA, and crime goes up.  Guess who else has a "progressive" DA?  Kansas City!

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-sets-new-record-for-homicides-in-2023/

Friday night, KCPD officers responded to the 180th homicide in Kansas City this year, breaking the 2020 record for the city’s deadliest year.

There have been 181 homicides in Kansas City in 2023. 

If only there was some way to solve this problem.  Again, maybe we've finally found the Dem policy that you disagree with?

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 12:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, nationally rates are returning to pre Biden levels.  In areas run by non-Dems the rate drops.  In areas run by Dems, especially with "progressive" prosecutors, they are not.  
Ah, yes.  The traditionally non-progressive areas of NYC, Baltimore and Chicago. Ninja

Also, again. Rates started rising in 2019. "pre-Biden".

It could be your location bias.  It could be your job bias.  

Either way I agreed that repeat offenders and violent offenders need to treated more harshly.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote