Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10-year-old rape victim denied abortion in OH
(07-20-2022, 09:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And Satan laughed....

At the name Bigus Dickus?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 08:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Was it Nauhgtius Maximus or Bigus Dickus?

Both.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 11:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It really doesn't, though, because it still requires a medium and a perfectly controlled environment in order to do so. If it were to be left on its own without human intervention, it would not replicate.

Autonomous cell specification and autonomy are two wildly different concepts. Just because something is capable of autonomous specification and determination based on biological terms does not mean it is an autonomous organism. There is no biologist that would claim that.

Didn't expect you to go all Fred on me. 

In an invitro environment outside of the womb, it behaves the same as it would if it was inside the womb. Means it's not influenced by outside factors in order to start growing, it does that all on it's own. And yes, if it doesn't attach to the uterus wall soon there after it will die. We are unable to replicate that part, and it still needs a way to receive the nutrients it needs in order to keep growing, and will continue to depend on others until we reach a cycle where we can start taking care of supplying ourselves with the nutrients needed to keep growing. It's how our species functions, other species are born with the ability to start foraging for food on their own. It's one of the things that separates us from the Animal Kingdom. 

As far as ballot goes. i'm surprised you like it. Most American's don't. I've tried it, but it's not a hit for me. I like the egg part, but i won't eat the duck anymore, guess getting jabbed in the roof of my mouth by the baby duck bill ruined that part lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:00 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Didn't expect you to go all Fred on me. 

In an invitro environment outside of the womb, it behaves the same as it would if it was inside the womb. Means it's not influenced by outside factors in order to start growing, it does that all on it's own.

Well, no, it has to be in the controlled environment. The reason it behaves in this way is because fertilization and the first stages of separation occur in the fallopian tubes, before implantation. We have to replicate the environment inside the fallopian tubes, though, to facilitate the process.

(07-20-2022, 10:00 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote:  And yes, if it doesn't attach to the uterus wall soon there after it will die. We are unable to replicate that part, and it still needs a way to receive the nutrients it needs in order to keep growing, and will continue to depend on others until we reach a cycle where we can start taking care of supplying ourselves with the nutrients needed to keep growing. It's how our species functions, other species are born with the ability to start foraging for food on their own. It's one of the things that separates us from the Animal Kingdom. 

I'm a little concerned with how little knowledge of biology you seem to have. Mammals are not born able to start foraging. They rely on milk just as our newborns do. As they grow, their digestive systems develop to handle eating other foods. We are not special from our mammalian cousins in this way. Reptiles, amphibians, birds, invertebrates, and fish that lay eggs all have something similar occurring pre-birth as mammals; it's just contained in an egg outside of the body rather than internally. These eggs contain the nutrients needed for embryotic development. Whereas with (most) mammals, the nutrients go directly from the mother to the embryo, in egg laying species the nutrients are contained with the embryo inside the egg.

(07-20-2022, 10:00 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: As far as ballot goes. i'm surprised you like it. Most American's don't. I've tried it, but it's not a hit for me. I like the egg part, but i won't eat the duck anymore, guess getting jabbed in the roof of my mouth by the baby duck bill ruined that part lol.

I am a very open-minded eater. I've eaten a lot of things that most Americans would turn their noses up at.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, no, it has to be in the controlled environment. The reason it behaves in this way is because fertilization and the first stages of separation occur in the fallopian tubes, before implantation. We have to replicate the environment inside the fallopian tubes, though, to facilitate the process.

I'm a little concerned with how little knowledge of biology you seem to have. Mammals are not born able to start foraging. They rely on milk just as our newborns do. As they grow, their digestive systems develop to handle eating other foods. We are not special from our mammalian cousins in this way. Reptiles, amphibians, birds, invertebrates, and fish that lay eggs all have something similar occurring pre-birth as mammals; it's just contained in an egg outside of the body rather than internally. These eggs contain the nutrients needed for embryotic development. Whereas with (most) mammals, the nutrients go directly from the mother to the embryo, in egg laying species the nutrients are contained with the embryo inside the egg.

I am a very open-minded eater. I've eaten a lot of things that most Americans would turn their noses up at.

i was referring to our lack of not being born with the internal instincts to Swim, walk, crawl as many (but not all) other animals are. Very well aware that many of the nutrients are supplied inside the eggs.

As far as most mammals go, many have the ability to GO get the milk from their mothers a few hours after they are born. Human being babies are pretty much helpless for the first year of their lives.

To be similar to our primate friends the Chimp, Human beings would need to gestate for approx 18-21 Months. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 03:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: i was referring to our lack of not being born with the internal instincts to Swim, walk, crawl as many (but not all) other animals are. Very well aware that many of the nutrients are supplied inside the eggs.

As far as most mammals go, many have the ability to GO get the milk from their mothers a few hours after they are born. Human being babies are pretty much helpless for the first year of their lives.

To be similar to our primate friends the Chimp, Human beings would need to gestate for approx 18-21 Months. 

"Human Privilege", eh.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 02:48 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Been a couple years since i really looked, i know it was a very high number that abort in first trimester, still stands as my cut-off. 5 months is waaay to long, pregnancy is half over and a body has developed. Aborting at this point would have a much higher chance of the woman having psychological issues than if it's done earlier (that is just my opinion). My wife had our baby pre-maturely at 5 months, tiny little thing but outside body was well developed, just the insides (lungs, etc) weren't done. She was and still is our daughter, and not a blob of cells. 

The fingernail you see consists of dead cells. The underneath is constantly pushing the dead cells out. Not overly sure your point vs trying to compare it an embryo, which is living and growing. 

For the last time, Personhood is not science. It is a heavily debated philosophical term used in law and politics to try to set legal terms for citizenship, protections, liberties etc, but STILL NOT SCIENCE.

And FYI, a group called the Personhood Alliance, claims that Personhood starts at fertilization. So there you go, more proof that it is a philosophical term where everyone has their OWN definition based on their own interpretation of stop/starting points along the Life Cycle of a Human Being.

I'm not confusing the Life Cycles of a human being at all, it's very linear, cycles can't be skipped, unless death happens before you make it to the next cycle. 

Wait? What? Life cycle of a vehicle??? Are you saying it starts as a blob of metal and then grows into Bumblebee?? 
LOL couldn't resist, but it's just the process we all go thru. Why do people go crazy over seeing their little blobs on ultrasounds? It's simply in a stage of development we are not visually used to, but it's still a human being. 

I don't think we are going to change each others minds and no point continuing to try. 
You've said yours, i've said mine, we are just going to have to agree to disagree and stick to finding a compromise that pleases both sides. 

Just like how you feel about religion being involved in politics and lawmaking, i feel philosophy should not be involved in science. 
If you ask someone a science question (no matter where they are in the world) the answer should be identical.

yessir. preach. 

philisoshical mumbo jumbo don't have no place in facts. i kinda feel bad because its obvious the education system failed him. we need to do a better job of making sure people know the real science and facts in our schools. good job trying to help educate though. 
Reply/Quote
on the topic here, it's awful what happened to that little girl and i hope the guy gets the chair. but we have to remember that the baby was completely innocent and didn't do anything wrong. it was also a victim and is depending on our compassion to not kill it.

i think it's important to remember that in these cases.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 01:19 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: yessir. preach. 

philisoshical mumbo jumbo don't have no place in facts. i kinda feel bad because its obvious the education system failed him. we need to do a better job of making sure people know the real science and facts in our schools. good job trying to help educate though. 

As much as I would like to respond to this, I'm going to defer to my better judgment and choose otherwise.   Whatever

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 06:18 PM)Lucidus Wrote: As much as I would like to respond to this, I'm going to defer to my better judgment and choose otherwise.   Whatever

probably a good move. you use a lot of fancy words, but that don't mean your educated right. you might be a nice guy i don't know, but it's obvious the school system let you down friend. i'm not blaming you. it's not your fault. it's what we've allowed the amercian education system to become.
Reply/Quote