Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
157 Yards
(12-19-2016, 05:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Rule #1 in Andy Club....

Never question Andy's performance.

I thought that was the Atkins club.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 05:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This was the biggest game of the year. Revenge game at home with the playoff hopes on the line. 

In the first game he had 300+ yards. Little bit more pressure in this one. Big time players make big time plays in big time games. They dont fold up and shit the bed. 

Whatever man. Guys like you were saying Dalton only played well the last couple weeks because "the pressure was off" and the games were meaningless.

Now this clearly meaningless game (our real playoff hopes were over a couple weeks ago) is suddenly uber important. More so than the week 2 game that set the tone for the season. Why? Because Dalton played great in that game and bad in this one, in all likelihood.

Rule 1 of the "blame Andy" crowd: constantly move the goal posts and say whatever you can to make Andy seem worse than he really is. 

Can we find a Dalton narrative and stick with it? Mine is that he's a top 10 QB (non-elite) that just had a lot of things go wrong around him this year. He still had a fine sesson, but not as good as last year. Why?

1. New rookie OC
2. New WRs
3. His top 2 targets missed a combined 15 games
4. Offensive line is offensive
5. Run game is abysmal

Only among a small segment on this message boards will you find people who actually try to argue that a QB should be unaffected by these circumstances. And no, things don't have to be perfect for Dalton, but let's be real here. Things aren't just far from perfect, they're far from AVERAGE.

For yall to ignore all this and continue the Dalton bashing is kinda ridiculous. He currently has the 2nd best rating of his career despite the adversity. Was it an awe inspiring season for him? Of course not. Did it provide evidence that he's not the guy? Nope. He just looked like a good QB stuck in a discombobulated offense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 08:33 PM)bengals67 Wrote: You cannot play an unpredictable defense like this with a 4-3 alignment and no pressure on opposing qb

Mike Zimmer used to do it with three down linemen while dropping at least eight men into coverage.  Maybe Paulie G removed this page from the playbook.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I blame the OC.

Andy was on fire at a certain point in the game and then they opted for running/giving the ball to burkhead constantly.

If Andy is on, let him play. The OC didn't.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Just wondering where the Andy Dalton little drummer boys are? Do we put any of yesterdays loss on our QB? Or do we have some excuses?

Andy is an above average QB most of the time. But his performances in big games leave a lot to be desired. And I am not sold he can get us over the hump.

Little tidbit from the Bengals homepage. Dalton was 25th in the league in 4th quarter passer rating going into the Steelers game. And put up a 47.9 yesterday.

Unless he has a couple more 157 yard games he should break the 4,000 yard mark this year. For only the 2nd time in his career. And he will be lucky to get 20 passing TDs.

It is not impossible to improve on Dalton like some around here seem to think. Absolutely things could be worse at QB. But we could also do better.

What are those? Dalton's QB rating in his playoff games.

Give a lot of QBs one of the best WRs in the game and one of the best TEs in the game and one of the best defenses. And they too will win games.

Dalton is solid and has a favorable contract. But what if he isn't the answer? AJ McCarron won the games he was supposed to win last year. And almost beat the eventual Super Bowl champs at their house and barely lost a playoff game that we should have won. We have a good team. A top QB would dominate with this team around him (and a non-shitbag head coach).

A top QB would not dominate behind a coaching staff that never called a screen pass when the steelers began loading the box and blitzing almost every down.  

A top QB can't create a target that gets separation when Eifert is being kept in to block, Dalton has no time to throw, and no one fears his receivers getting over the top.  

Where was your assessment of his play earlier in the season, when he had only Eifert or only AJ, but almost never together and was on pace to break HIS franchise records for passing yards and passer rating?  

I get being pissy because they lost to pissburgh, but c'mon.  You are smarter than this, or you would be waving a yellow rag.  Dalton was having a very solid game, while Piggy should have had THREE INTs before the half if any of those clowns could catch a ball.  His coaches game plan was pathetic and his meager semblance of a running game disappeared.  

Dalton's performances in the playoff games are well documented, but he helped get them there, which is more than Palmer could do in 9 seasons with the Bengals, Dalton did it in three, and that was with a team that was supposed to go winless.

I hate always rehashing this same argument.  If you can't handle that Dalton is our QB, I suggest you find another team because he isn't going anywhere and I am damn happy about that. 
Reply/Quote
Folks make things up sometimes and the "we went conservative" in the second half is the reason Andy had a poor game is another one.

Our opening drive of the 2nd half we had 8 offensive plays, 5 of them were passing plays. Our second drive was 4 plays, 2 of them were passing; including the INT. Our 3rd drive is 3 plays, we pass on 2 of them. Our final drive was 4 plays, three of them were passing.

Maybe, just maybe it wasn't this mythical coaching philosophy and it was more on player execution............

Never mind. FIRE MARVIN!!
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 08:49 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I thought that was the Atkins club.

Atkins has had some below par games this year; however, yesterday was not one of them. When Margus Hunt is you second best Dlineman, you have issues.

Reply/Quote
I see Mediocre Marv's Militia is waving the flags fast and furious today. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, but lets take a look back at that game.  It was eerily similar to yesterday.  We had a good first half, then the second half rolls around and we get blanked because why?  Wade Phillips made an adjustment from man coverage to zone, and we had no answer.  The Stoolers adjusted at the half yesterday, and.........we had no answer.  San Diego WC game, 2013, BJGE had around 50 yards at the half and was averaging over 5 YPC (not to mention Benny owned SD his entire career), only to be benched.  The coaching truly is the biggest downfall of this team.

Have we ever made an adjustment in a game? Mike Zimmer was probably the only coach to ever change what he was doing, and that wasnt very often. That was the most embarrassing thing about yesterday was the familiarity of it. We have all seen that game over and over again. It is annoying as hell

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: I see Mediocre Marv's Militia is waving the flags fast and furious today. Smirk

Whoever they are; as I have already said it is time for Marvin to go. I'm just not comfortable making things up. 

As to the OP: Every time Andy has a good game praise is heaped on him by all and rightly so. If anyone suggests he has a poor game or games, it is always 15 other reasons he had a poor game. 

Dude is finishing his 6th year and has never taken that next step as a starting QB, many still consider him that young QB that should not be required to carry a team and it is my assertion 6 years in that he never will. This saddens me as I respect him as a person. He can win with a good team and we could do worse. I just have no problem with folks questioning his performance when he has a bad game. 

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 08:49 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I thought that was the Atkins club.

I joined that club for a while, but the temptation to eat cereal and pizza was just too much to bear.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whoever they are; as I have already said it is time for Marvin to go. I'm just not comfortable making things up. 

As to the OP: Every time Andy has a good game praise is heaped on him by all and rightly so. If anyone suggests he has a poor game or games, it is always 15 other reasons he had a poor game. 

Dude is finishing his 6th year and has never taken that next step as a starting QB, many still consider him that young QB that should not be required to carry a team and it is my assertion 6 years in that he never will. This saddens me as I respect him as a person. He can win with a good team and we could do worse. I just have no problem with folks questioning his performance when he has a bad game. 

How many QBs do you think could carry the 2016 Bengals all by themselves?

Maybe Rodgers. Maybe Brady. Maybe Ben. Who else?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dalton accuracy has Sucked ass this year. He often overthrows in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many QBs do you think could carry the 2016 Bengals all by themselves?
AAron Rodgers easily.  He has crap at three RB position wr are banged up but there he is carrying a Packers team to the playoffs again.  That guy is clutch 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many QBs do you think could carry the 2016 Bengals all by themselves?

Maybe Rodgers. Maybe Brady. Maybe Ben. Who else?

I'm thinking quite a few could have gotten us more than 5 wins; however, that's not the point. The point is Andy will only be as good as his surrounding pieces and will never be more than a slightly above average QB. As I've said the last 6 years. 

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm thinking quite a few could have gotten us more than 5 wins; however, that's not the point. The point is Andy will only be as good as his surrounding pieces and will never be more than a slightly above average QB. As I've said the last 6 years. 

Why dance around the question? How many QBs do you think could've led this team to a winning record? List them.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why dance around the question? How many QBs do you think could've led this team to a winning record? List them.

Besides the obvious suspects: Brady, Rogers, Brees, Ben. I'd say a few of the more mobile QBs would have done well for us. Wilson, Newton, Marriota, and Luck. i actually think Taylor and Tannehill would have done better for us, but that's reaching.

I left out the young guys like Carr, Winston, and Prescott. Conversely some of the better QBs in the league may not have gotten us to 5: Rivers, Palmer, Ryan

Reply/Quote
Take away MLJ and Mo Sanu. Take away Hugh. Give him a crap line. What do you get? Exactly.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Couldn't agree more with this post.  Refreshing to know there's still Bengals fans that know what there talking about.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Is that all it takes? 3 high priced WRs. Elite OL play. One of the top pass catching TEs in the league. Two second round RBs. And a studly defense. Then we can count on Dalton to get us wins? That isn't franchise QB material. 

They loaded the box to stop the run yesterday. Dalton was sacked one time. No pass catcher other than Lafell had more than 18 yards. 

I blame a lot on the coaches. But it is the players on the field actually playing. In a close winnable game, it was our QB who put up a 47.9 QB rating in the 4th quarter. It wasn't Marvin Lewis or Zampese out there throwing the ball it was Dalton who led us to one first down in the 4th quarter. 

You are bang on brother!!  Finally someone that's understands what there seeing - from our not terrible but not very good QB
Reply/Quote