AJ
Boyd
Mixon
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Half MVP
(10-31-2018, 01:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is exactly right.  Mixon needs more involved in the passing game. I will say this though, the screens have been the lone criticism I would have of Dalton this season.  Seems to me he has had an issue of leading guys too far on several occasions, making them adjust, or outright missing them.  I haven't looked at any numbers, but that's what I've taken from watching.....

My other criticism would be Mixon is trying to make to many 1 handed catches on those screens, when doesn't have to.
Reply/Quote
Dalton because there is know one else that can play QB on the Team...
My second place goes to Dunlap. Dude has made big plays in every one of our games that we won.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: My other criticism would be Mixon is trying to make to many 1 handed catches on those screens, when doesn't have to.

I hadn't thought about that, but you are right.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 12:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Better on the broken plays and better on TDs. It would just be nice if he could get the completion percentage up and there weren't so many "reasons" for why he still lingers around average (to below average this year). It's his 8th year and there's still only one season (13 games) where he was easily above average. 

The problem with this is that people look at QB rankings as if only 32 QB's get ranked when there's usually 40+ QB's that qualify. If you're going to accurately judge what "average" is, we'd need to judge our "team" passer rating against those of the other 31 teams...or take into account that it's not just 32 QB's qualifying each year. 

What you say about Dalton "lingering around average" could also be said about Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Derek Carr among others.

Average ranking in passer rating:

Newton: 18.4
Luck: 18.0
Carr: 18.8
Dalton: 16.1

Dalton also had a significantly higher completion % than any of these guys.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is exactly right.  Mixon needs more involved in the passing game. I will say this though, the screens have been the lone criticism I would have of Dalton this season.  Seems to me he has had an issue of leading guys too far on several occasions, making them adjust, or outright missing them.  I haven't looked at any numbers, but that's what I've taken from watching.....

Fair criticism and I agree. I do think he'd naturally get better (I'd hope) with the screens if we used them more often. For comparison, Mixon has 19 catches and Barkley has a whopping 58.

That would also raise that completion % (and therefore passer rating) that Rfaulk is harping about. All these easy dump offs are something Dalton has never really benefited from. You see all those guys around 70% completion rate this year? Check how many catches their RB's have. I bet their RB's are among their top receivers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 02:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair criticism and I agree. I do think he'd naturally get better (I'd hope) with the screens if we used them more often. For comparison, Mixon has 19 catches and Barkley has a whopping 58.

That would also raise that completion % (and therefore passer rating) that Rfaulk is harping about. All these easy dump offs are something Dalton has never really benefited from. You see all those guys around 70% completion rate this year? Check how many catches their RB's have. I bet their RB's are among their top receivers.

My question would be, how many times was our RB supposed to chip then swing out into flat or lay down just past LOS and been unable to due to Redmond or somebody whiffing ?
Reply/Quote
It's a team sport. Those 4 are having great seasons because they complement each other.

If you make me choose one, QB is the most important position in all sports. So Andy. But he's not throwing or handing it to himself.
Reply/Quote
We do seem to lack simple routes to RBs in the flats in our play designs. Another thought especially with Eifert out - if Gio is really back use him as H-Back? It puts a pair of pretty sure hands in a place where he can be an outlet receiver.
Reply/Quote
Boyd, Mixon & Green have been great but I had to give it to Andy.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The problem with this is that people look at QB rankings as if only 32 QB's get ranked when there's usually 40+ QB's that qualify. If you're going to accurately judge what "average" is, we'd need to judge our "team" passer rating against those of the other 31 teams...or take into account that it's not just 32 QB's qualifying each year. 

What you say about Dalton "lingering around average" could also be said about Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Derek Carr among others.

Average ranking in passer rating:

Newton: 18.4
Luck: 18.0
Carr: 18.8
Dalton: 16.1

Dalton also had a significantly higher completion % than any of these guys.

Not this year. All 3 are higher than him. Carr is above 70%. Newton is a chronic low percentage passer, until this year.

That's part of the bar i was speaking about. As stats increase yearly, he's lagging behind. And those are the guys in the group he's bunched with, not the guys he's aspiring to join.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not this year. All 3 are higher than him. Carr is above 70%. Newton is a chronic low percentage passer, until this year.

That's part of the bar i was speaking about. As stats increase yearly, he's lagging behind. 

Raiders RB's have 64 catches, which is 34% of Carr's completions.
Panthers RB's have 45 catches, which is 28.4% of Cam's completions.
Bengals RB's have 38 catches, which is 20.5% of Dalton's completions.

Easy completions = higher completion %. 

The Raiders are targeting RB's way more due to Gruden's system.
The Panthers are targeting RB's more thanks to McCaffrey.

Hence their completion percentages going up. It isn't about stats increasing every year, at least not in this instance. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Raiders RB's have 64 catches, which is 34% of Carr's completions.
Panthers RB's have 45 catches, which is 28.4% of Cam's completions.
Bengals RB's have 38 catches, which is 20.5% of Dalton's completions.

Easy completions = higher completion %. 

The Raiders are targeting RB's way more due to Gruden's system.
The Panthers are targeting RB's more thanks to McCaffrey.

Hence their completion percentages going up. It isn't about stats increasing every year, at least not in this instance. 

I'm gonna move this over to the Dalton thread so we don't get too far OT.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I debated between Mixon and Boyd. I ended up giving the edge to Mixon. The improvement this year in the running game has been impressive. It seems like he has better vision behind the line and will often make somethin' out of nuthin'. Without the running game the passing game would be even more difficult. But, there are certainly valid arguments for all the players.
Reply/Quote