Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1st Post-Orlando Brown Hot Take... Jonah...
(03-16-2023, 07:31 AM)lone bengal Wrote: My guess is Collins will not be ready to start the year and Williams will play RT. His 5th year option is picked up so he’s not getting cut and his biggest issue is strength can’t see him playing guard. But I think where in a great spot if they keep Collins too. The offensive line has cost this team two Super Bowls. If there is an injury to Brown , Williams can kick to LT we have more depth and better options. Collins could also play guard. Just need to bolster the depth inside in the draft and think we’re in good shape.

Collins is gone, too big of a cap hit with last year’s injuries and lackluster performance.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 07:33 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Collins is gone, too big of a cap hit with last year’s injuries and lackluster performance.

I’d be fine either way forgot about Jackson he can be your swing tackle or you can draft one.
Reply/Quote
Collins is very cap friendly and even if you give him 50-75% of the year to come back healthy, he either takes over for someone that's not doing real well or he's available to step in at multiple positions and be light years better than some of the guys coming off the bench the last 2 years. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:03 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agreed. Also, remember LC has some experience at guard. We have no backup guards at the moment. 

OT: Brown, J. Williams, Collins, Carman, Adeniji, Smith 
OG: Cappa, Volson 
C: Karras, T. Hill 

what happened to Scharping?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:47 AM)kalibengal Wrote: what happened to Scharping?

He's a free agent. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 05:27 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. You're going to have a hard time getting a valuable pick for Jonah. I'm guessing if they do trade him, it will be a player for player swap like they did with Price for Hill. I'd keep him for one more year, kind of on a 'prove it' deal. I'd keep LC, also. Nothing wrong with adding quality depth or a new starter in mid to late season, especially one that knows the playbook.

And moving Jonah to LG is soooo 2021. There were many on here ready to move him inside if they took Sewell. I can't remember but I was probably one of those because I have never felt that he was a quality LT, always very below average. Few on here have called for o-line as a priority longer than me . . . I wanted Jonah to work out so bad, but to be honest, in his limited number of snaps, Jackson Carman has more "Wow!" moments as a Bengal than Jonah Williams. I'm very disappointed in his lack of improvement in both run blocking and pass blocking. Yet another Bengal to show up in Cincinnati and plateaued the moment he put on the striped helmet. I kind of admire his toughness but he's missed a lot of games and I don't think that he's got a lot of games left.

Yeah, I don't know anything. I just think it's unlikely we'll move Jonah around the year before he hits free agency. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder and I figure 25-year-old blindside protectors who've played in the Super Bowl- and FWIW, were arguably the best linemen on their teams- will draw interest. He's a bit pricey but even we didn't have a problem with that as recently as... 24 hours ago, really. 

Or maybe we'll wait until guys start getting hurt and move him then. I don't know. But this idea of chess-piecing linemen is played out to me. It's so much easier said than done. Penei Sewell is a unicorn. We've failed so many times (Carman, Adeniji, Prince, Smith to some extent) that it's equally tempting and inadvisable to try it again. To do so with a man on the verge of getting his bag as a professional left tackle doesn't seem to be in our DNA, either. I expect us to shake hands and part ways as soon as we're able- for his sake as much as ours. 

But like I said, I don't know anything. Just feeling the vibes. Wink
Reply/Quote
Well the big thing is it is not like Jr. is an unknown, he's been Mahomes' LT for a few years now. If he can get it done in KC with Mahomes leaving the pocket on most plays, he can get it done in Cincinnati for Burrow. This is an absolute huge signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 03:46 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Collins would still count against the cap even if he's on PUP or IR.

I like the idea of Jonah at LG. I feel like he could excel there in a way that he wouldn't at LT.

Yeah, but so what?  I still like the idea of having him around for depth after experiencing what we've been through the past couple of years.  Collins will be back around mid-year and will be on IR, move to the practice squad until fully 100% then to a backup role.  He's very versatile and can play anywhere on the line.  
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 07:24 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: We’re gonna need this oline so we can score 35+ a game. Cause that D is gonna give up 30.

I have more faith in Lou than that. Especially with DB’s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:55 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Yeah, but so what?  I still like the idea of having him around for depth after experiencing what we've been through the past couple of years.  Collins will be back around mid-year and will be on IR, move to the practice squad until fully 100% then to a backup role.  He's very versatile and can play anywhere on the line.  

Yep, hold on to as much depth as we can. It's been a long two years. 
Reply/Quote
Put me in the camp that says to hold in to as much OL depth as we can. Lack thereof cost us the last two Lombardi's.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I have more faith in Lou than that. Especially with DB’s.

I hope so. I’m upset about losing bell, I loved his all out style, he was a bully, he played mean, i will miss that. Hopefully with the oline, we can establish a dominate run game and slow the game down as well. And maybe open up some play action
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 05:43 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I would absolutely cut LC. They can save up to $10 mil in cutting him, depending on timing, with an injury settlement. His back issues continue to be a problem and frankly he did not play well. Jonah is the one that would cost them to cut. If you move Jonah inside per your plan then you have several options at RT to include drafting one.

You have Volson who played RT at North Dakota St., you have D'ante Smith, Jackson Carman, and Akeem Adeniji.

How do you come up with 10M?

At RT, LC on one leg is still better than Adeniji & Smith, possibly even Carmen.  Jackson & Hakeem both look better on the left.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 05:46 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I would love to have Tippmann who frankly could be the best all around lineman in the draft. Having him behind Karras as the heir apparent would be awesome.

(03-16-2023, 05:49 AM)pulses Wrote: He's what a 3rd rounder?

Tippman would be awesome, there is no way he is there for us in the 3rd round, he's likely the 2nd C drafted.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 07:24 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: We’re gonna need this oline so we can score 35+ a game.  Cause that D is gonna give up 30.

(03-16-2023, 07:33 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Collins is gone, too big of a cap hit with last year’s injuries and lackluster performance.

I think both of these statements are way off base.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think both of these statements are way off base.

Not to mention very insulting to our D-line, linebackers and corners who are all still here. You'd think we lost them all.....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think both of these statements are way off base.

Sure am thankful some of these posters have come out of the woodwork. NOT!!!!!!
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not to mention very insulting to our D-line, linebackers and corners who are all still here. You'd think we lost them all.....

Makes zero sense, we have every starter back except  2 safeties, not a difficult positon to fill with a 1st rounder ready to go.  This is so uninformed.

And people think we can cut LC while he is injured and keep that 7M...that would require losing 2M immediately - 5M for LC to be a backup basically... no brainer.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 03:28 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Where does Ben Brown fit in?

(03-16-2023, 03:33 AM)pulses Wrote: Maybe he takes Trey Hill's spot

(03-16-2023, 03:36 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think Hill stays at C. I'd have Brown at G and cut Adeniji. 

Brown can play C and G, could free a spot, especially with us moving from wide-zone to gap.   Hill has not shown much.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Makes zero sense, we have every starter back except  2 safeties, not a difficult positon to fill with a 1st rounder ready to go.  This is so uninformed.

And people think we can cut LC while he is injured and keep that 7M...that would require losing 2M immediately - 5M for LC to be a backup basically... no brainer.

We had backup tackles playing in the playoffs each of the past 2 seasons.

IF they can swing having Collins on the roster, you do it.
Reply/Quote