Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Round Projections Available at #33
Is Marcus Golden still available as a free agent? Sign him instead of drafting Baun. Draft Higgins to replace AJ and you can still get a high rated Olineman with your early 3rd pick. Trade Andy for a 3rd or 4th rounder. You get the money to sign Golden and a 3 or 4 round pick to take another LBer.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 03:03 AM)Synric Wrote: Where are people getting the Josh Jones to Cedric Ogbuehi comparison? They are nothing alike.

Both O-lineman who went to college in Texas is the best I've got.

(01-01-1970, 01:24 AM)masonbengals fan.32308' Wrote: Jones or Baun for me. As much as I want that line solidified, LB is a huge need.

This might be controversial but I believe OL is a bigger need in the 2nd than LB. They certainly need depth at LB (which can be addressed later) but I'm more comfortable with Bynes starting at LB than both Jordan and Su'a-Filo starting at guard. People may say Josh Jones hasn't played RG but I think these two have only played 4 games at RG between them.

(04-24-2020, 10:07 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Just because you draft Josh Jones, doesn't mean he's going to start at LT. We already have our starter in Williams. If they drafted an OT in general, he would be competing for both OT spots. He would likely back up Left Tackle, and possibly start at Right Tackle.

I don't claim to know as much as the coaches and scouts do. If there's a reason to pass on Josh Jones, by all means. I'd be okay with either trading back for another offensive lineman, or picking the best edge player available. Baun could fit the bill as a guy that can cover and rush the passer. I'd get on board with that pick.

A lot of people are saying they want a wideout here. I'm not convinced it's a glaring need. We have 3 starters already. We have depth behind them. If we pick a WR he likely doesn't play much this year. If thats the case--and this receiver class is so deep--I say wait until round 4 or 5 to draft one.

The plan with Jones would surely be for him to start at RG and switch outside in a year or two's time. A tackle who can develop at guard before moving outside (like Whitworth did when he was taken in the 2nd round) is absolutely ideal and hits both our short and long term needs.

(04-24-2020, 12:45 PM)Trademark Wrote: I’d rather have Mims, the Bengals need WR depth. Did you see the WR situation last year ? Lol

I've got Mims as 1b (behind Josh Jones) so I wouldn't be disappointed but I'm not sure your logic holds up. Did you see the OT situation last year? Did you see the LB situation last year?

This is where we could really do with moving Dalton for a 3rd round pick (hey Pats and Jags - you still need a QB and have spare picks). I think there should still be a WR at 65 (Mims, Higgins, Shenault, Edwards, Pittman, Claypool, maybe Hamler and maybe someone like Peoples-Jones or Hodgins goes higher than some of those dropping one of those 6 down - that's an awful lot of WRs to burn through in 31 picks). So an additional third rounder to address linebacker would be awfully handy here but apparently the sweet spot in this draft for LB is around the 5th round where there are plenty of players who, whilst they may not star, could well help. Maybe we could even get an edge rusher first then double dip at LB?

My best case scenario is

33. Josh Jones
65. WR
Trade for Dalton - Edge
107. LB
147. LB
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:30 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Jones is just a wasted pick at #33.
1. That would mean they have completely given up on Hart or Johnson at RT.
2. Or feel that Jones is heads and above better than both and can easily make the transition from LT to RT w/o any OTA's and come right on board and take over the RT position.

So, they are going to draft a guy at #33 that won't start Day 1??? I just can't see that at all.

Not with all the WR, DE's, LB or DB help that can start or rotate in the lineups Day 1.

Let's just take a guy not high on a lot of people's lists for the Bengals. But, Jaylon Johnson is a bonafide NFL Day 1 starter at CB. He's still available and was expected to go in the 1st round. There's just too many guys around at #33 to take a guy like Jones in my opinion.

Fulton’s still there also. You like Johnson better I take it? There’s a lot of safety and DB talent still out there. If your going BPA, you have to at least consider some of these guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: They had him work all week at the senior bowl as a stack backer and he did pretty well by most reports. I think if we take him it's based on what they saw from him there. I think you can play him as a SAM in a 4-3 look then use him as more of a rusher in 3-4 looks.

Big reason I have been pimping Baun. You get a 3 down LB, he's pretty good stopping the run and dropping into coverage. 
Reply/Quote
When folks start talking projections I tend to rely on NFL.COM. I think Zac told Lou "you got your toys in the off season and goes Offense again. Their Top available in spots they are looking (grade):
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects?year=2020

WR
Michael Pittman (6.38)
Tee Higgins (6.37)
Bryan Edwards (6.34)

IOL
John Simpson(6.35)
Lloyd Cushionberry (6.32)
Tyre Phillips (6.24)

OT
Josh Jones (6.35)
Robert Hunt(6.34)
Ezra Cleveland (6.29)

TE
Cole Kemet (6.34)
Bryan Harrison (6.32)
Adam Trautman (6.27)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 11:51 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree with most of what you say but I actually see the opposite on WR and LB.. the drop off is greater at LB.. there are going to be some very fine WRs in 3rd round I believe.. Hill from OSU and Jefferson Fla and Pittman could still be there in 3rd round also...

Jefferson is a solid option, but no way Hill...he's a slot WR and ranked very low.  Pass.  There are a ton of options at LB...I listed them earlier but here are some of which several should be around near the top of Rd 3:

WIllie Gay, Jr (my first choice)
Akeem Davis-Gaither
Logan Wilson
Malik Harrison
Troy Dye
Davion Taylor
Josh Uche
Zack Baun
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 10:07 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Just because you draft Josh Jones, doesn't mean he's going to start at LT. We already have our starter in Williams. If they drafted an OT in general, he would be competing for both OT spots. He would likely back up Left Tackle, and possibly start at Right Tackle.

I don't claim to know as much as the coaches and scouts do. If there's a reason to pass on Josh Jones, by all means. I'd be okay with either trading back for another offensive lineman, or picking the best edge player available. Baun could fit the bill as a guy that can cover and rush the passer. I'd get on board with that pick.

A lot of people are saying they want a wideout here. I'm not convinced it's a glaring need. We have 3 starters already. We have depth behind them. If we pick a WR he likely doesn't play much this year. If thats the case--and this receiver class is so deep--I say wait until round 4 or 5 to draft one.

This. If we were coming off an 11-5 season and just looking to keep the ball rolling, sure...draft a WR for the future.

Coming off a 2-14 season and looking for immediate success? We have to fill immediate needs, of which we have plenty that are more glaring than WR.

Of course, this doesn't mean we can't look for a WR later. But our 2nd rounder should be starting in 2020.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We need a RT and Robert Hunt could be the best in this draft. Gimme him.

Check out the first video on his profile page. You know he's hungry and going to fight for it:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/robert-hunt?id=32194855-4e36-0894-8461-dd1b950e2536
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm not going to be overly upset if they go BPA. I like that Gross-Matos and McKinney are still out there, even though they don't look like major needs for the Bengals right now. I'm good with taking one of them.

After thinking about it more, I think I'd like to see it play out like this: WR in 2, OL in 3, LB in 4.

Something like Mims/Higgins-Solomon Kindley-Gay Jr./Dye would be solid. I'd be good with getting Jones at 33, but I think guard is a pressing need. I'd rather get a WR now, then see if Kindley or Lemeuix slip to round 3.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When folks start talking projections I tend to rely on NFL.COM. I think Zac told Lou "you got your toys in the off season and goes Offense again. Their Top available in spots they are looking (grade):
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects?year=2020

WR
Michael Pittman (6.38)
Tee Higgins (6.37)
Bryan Edwards (6.34)

IOL
John Simpson(6.35)
Lloyd Cushionberry (6.32)
Tyre Phillips (6.24)

OT
Josh Jones (6.35)
Robert Hunt(6.34)
Ezra Cleveland (6.29)

TE
Cole Kemet (6.34)
Bryan Harrison (6.32)
Adam Trautman (6.27)

Agreed. Btw, does anyone think we could go Cushenberry and kick either him or Hopkins to guard? Maybe to compete with Jordan?

Not saying I'd prefer that idea, just throwing it out there. Personally, I'd rather replace Bobby.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This. If we were coming off an 11-5 season and just looking to keep the ball rolling, sure...draft a WR for the future.

Coming off a 2-14 season and looking for immediate success? We have to fill immediate needs, of which we have plenty that are more glaring than WR.

Of course, this doesn't mean we can't look for a WR later. But our 2nd rounder should be starting in 2020.

We thought the same thing last year and WR was a complete mess.

AJ, Ross, and Tate have missed a combined 47 games the last two years.  They simply can't be counted on.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: We thought the same thing last year and WR was a complete mess.

AJ, Ross, and Tate have missed a combined 47 games the last two years.  They simply can't be counted on.

But we're paying AJ like he can be counted on. That's a lot of resources being thrown at WR.

Plus injuries are speculation, while LB and OL are definitely needs whether those positions are healthy or not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: Do you see Jones as a plug and play starter?  I personally like him a lot as a long term developmental prospect, but I question his ability to have a great immediate impact due to his technique and strength issues which will be hard to address with virtual OTA's.  That's not to say I think he's a bad pick at 33, just that I don't see him being a quality starter year 1.

I think right now he could plug and give you average play year 1 (better than what we got at G last year and on par to slightly better than RT). I think by year 2 and 3 he has the upside to give you top end play, especially at RT. He is a perfect fit scheme wise to what we want to do In the running game and I am comfortable with him in pass protection.

Everyone at 33 has flaws, that’s why they are there at 33, but I have been high on this kid for months at 33. PFF has him as there highest graded tackle in the running game and 2nd in pass protection. Adjusting for level of competition I understand but the guy is an upgrade for sure with a lot to build on.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:30 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Jones is just a wasted pick at #33.
1. That would mean they have completely given up on Hart or Johnson at RT.
2. Or feel that Jones is heads and above better than both and can easily make the transition from LT to RT w/o any OTA's and come right on board and take over the RT position.

So, they are going to draft a guy at #33 that won't start Day 1??? I just can't see that at all.

Not with all the WR, DE's, LB or DB help that can start or rotate in the lineups Day 1.

Let's just take a guy not high on a lot of people's lists for the Bengals. But, Jaylon Johnson is a bonafide NFL Day 1 starter at CB. He's still available and was expected to go in the 1st round. There's just too many guys around at #33 to take a guy like Jones in my opinion.

Big medical flags on Johnson just had surgery to repair a torn labrum. That is a long recovery with high reinjury chances. Won’t even be cleared until early August, I’ll pass.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1m
Some buzz on Round 2:
Among the players the #Bengals like at No. 33 are Ross Blocklock & Denzel Mims.
— #Colts (34) & #Dolphins (39) open to moving out.
— #Saints (CB? LB?), #Jets (CB?), #Jaguars (OT?), #Falcons among the teams who have made calls to move up.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: Big medical flags on Johnson just had surgery to repair a torn labrum. That is a long recovery with high reinjury chances. Won’t even be cleared until early August, I’ll pass.

You're right, and I was just using him as one of many examples as to why not to take Jones. I'm not lobbying for the Bengals to take a CB by any means, just best available player who will start Day 1.
And, there's several players I'd take before taking the chance on Jones as a position switch.
Reply/Quote
Keep it simple. Take the best guy on the board. If there are guys with similar grades, take the one that addresses the biggest weakness on the team.

IF we are strictly looking at next year, I'm comfortable with what we have on defense. The one guy we need is a true coverage LB who can get this team off the field on 3rd down by covering a TE or RB. And maybe we already have that in Williams and Bell.

IS ANYONE here comfortable with the talent we have on the interior O-line or at RT?
Reply/Quote
Jones, Mims or Higgins or we need to trade back
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:56 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not going to be overly upset if they go BPA.  I like that Gross-Matos and McKinney are still out there, even though they don't look like major needs for the Bengals right now.  I'm good with taking one of them.

After thinking about it more, I think I'd like to see it play out like this:  WR in 2, OL in 3, LB in 4.  

Something like Mims/Higgins-Solomon Kindley-Gay Jr./Dye would be solid.  I'd be good with getting Jones at 33, but I think guard is a pressing need.  I'd rather get a WR now, then see if Kindley or Lemeuix slip to round 3.

Mckinny can play some at LB. He has sneaky pass rush skills
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote