Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st pick overall in better shape
(12-15-2019, 08:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's apparently an award for the best offensive lines in college football and they are one of the finalists:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_32e14b96-0aff-11ea-ba6f-8be5a3906183.html

Joe Burrow is pressured on 31% of his drop backs.

Edit: Forgot to add their run offense is ranked in the 60s overall in college football.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's apparently an award for the best offensive lines in college football and they are one of the finalists:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_32e14b96-0aff-11ea-ba6f-8be5a3906183.html

Is it by the same people that voted Billy Price best Center in the country a couple years ago lol

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:42 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Since Andy is under contract for another year, if we get Burrow, what are the chances he sits for a season like we did with Palmer? Pros? Cons?

We shouldn't have to keep Dalton around as a 17 million dollar QB coach since we made a QB coach our HC.  Shouldn't, being the key word here...then again, we were all scared ZT was going to bring Tannehill here and Tannehill has played circles around Dalton for 1/8th the price so a lot can change in an off-season.

If we take Burrow he should start on day 1.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think people see our roster and the needs we have and the allure of multiple picks is enticing to them...but this team would screw up multiple picks.

Like say we could trade back to 5, take Herbert or Tua, get a 1st next year and a 2nd this year. That seems enticing, doesn't it? But, that would entail us scouting Tua and Herbert and being right on them. Burrow is kind of the no brainer.

I agree that there are a lot of other needs on this roster but I honestly don't think we can pass up a player like Burrow.
I say we take him at 1, Trade Dalton & Green for as much as we can get and fix the O-line and LB positions.
as I've mentioned before I don't get to see a lot of college football but other people have mentioned there are a few good WR's we could also get in the later rounds.
Hopefully Jonah Williams is as good as a lot of people say he is when he comes back and not another Price, where as Lawson and Pratt seem to be coming on.
We will have a 23 players coming to the end of their contracts including AJ, Dennard, Billings, Eifert, Vigil & Hopkins so I think this will be another total rebuild of the roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:02 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: There is NO way that we trade back out of the 1st pick, that would really finish a hell of a lot of our fans with the team.
The O-line have been ok in the last few games, the problem is Dalton just cant help throwing interceptions

Didn’t you hear? The Bears are offering their entire draft class for the pick. Wait a minute, wrong Bungle season.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Have you even been watching the games? The OL has been playing fine lately. The  narrative that Andy Dalton is some iron man and no other QB would survive behind our OL is beyond stupid. Last time I checked Finley was still alive. He sucks, but he’s still alive...

The narrative that you have to have an All Pro, All World, All Galaxy Oline in order for a young QB to have a chance just won't die will it ? This isn't 1977 ! QB's don't take 7 step drops and stand like a statue anymore do they ?

Do the Bengals need to upgrade the Oline ? Yes

But if we pass on every good QB in the draft until we achieve this mythical Oline we're never gonna draft a QB.
Reply/Quote
With the amount of cap space we have...there's no reason we couldn't upgrade 3-4 positions in free agency and 2-3 in the draft with this high pick.

We could set ourselves up nicely for the future.

That said, coaches develop players...and this staff has struggled.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The narrative that you have to have an All Pro, All World, All Galaxy Oline in order for a young QB to have a chance just won't die will it ? This isn't 1977 ! QB's don't take 7 step drops and stand like a statue anymore do they ?

But if we pass on every good QB in the draft until we achieve this mythical Oline we're never gonna draft a QB.

Indeed. And of the college QB's, Burrow seems to know what to do with the ball. You essentially need an offense that runs the ball and is unpredictable for defense. Quick slants and high percentage throws...and screens. And use the TE's.

Then, let the QB make the reads and get the ball out quick.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The narrative that you have to have an All Pro, All World, All Galaxy Oline in order for a young QB to have a chance just won't die will it ? This isn't 1977 ! QB's don't take 7 step drops and stand like a statue anymore do they ?

[Image: myPcGK9.gif]

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We shouldn't have to keep Dalton around as a 17 million dollar QB coach since we made a QB coach our HC.  Shouldn't, being the key word here...then again, we were all scared ZT was going to bring Tannehill here and Tannehill has played circles around Dalton for 1/8th the price so a lot can change in an off-season.

If we take Burrow he should start on day 1.

Where does the assumption that Dalton would be a good QB coach come from anyways? Does he have a secret coaching resume that only a select few know about?
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have all but locked up the first pick in the 2020 draft which is something I find humiliating — but whatever. However, between Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, and Zac Taylor does anyone trust any of those guys to conduct a successful draft?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals have all but locked up the first pick in the 2020 draft which is something I find humiliating — but whatever.  However, between Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, and Zac Taylor does anyone trust any of those guys to conduct a successful draft?

Yeah...what a season when with 2 games left...you have 2 less wins than the next worst team.

Yet, A LOT of fans seem to love that the Bengals are this bad and pick 1st. Like you said, as if this team will have a successful draft though.

The same team that took a blocking TE in the 2nd Round instead of DK Metcalf.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals have all but locked up the first pick in the 2020 draft which is something I find humiliating — but whatever. However, between Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, and Zac Taylor does anyone trust any of those guys to conduct a successful draft?

Tobin and Brown have had good drafts in the past (could have been Marvin). Taylor is who worries me.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tobin and Brown have had good drafts in the past (could have been Marvin). Taylor is who worries me.

Honestly, our good drafts seemed like they were just using ESPN and Kipers draft rankings. And it seemed to work.

re: Taylor - What are the odds that he'll be a great coach and scout? It's a big ask to have coaches do all these different roles.

I think he needs to scrap trying to make us the Rams...and make us the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yet, A LOT of fans seem to love that the Bengals are this bad and pick 1st.

Not me. This is absolutely embarrassing. I would rather pick 32d.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Not me.  This is absolutely embarrassing.  I would rather pick 32d.

I think IF you give a great drafting team the #1 pick...like the Steelers, it's one thing. Giving a bad management team a Top pick...doesn't help a lot.

We really need to hire a qualified GM and more scouts. But, the time to hire more scouts was several months ago...so I doubt they do it.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Not me. This is absolutely embarrassing. I would rather pick 32d.

Well, sure, 32 would be great, but 1st is better than being mediocre and picking in the teens all those years. That will keep you in purgatory forever.

Reply/Quote
Next week's game could be absolutely hilarious. Both teams trying to lose.

Most likely won't happen as both teams are professional, but the premise could be priceless.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Not me.  This is absolutely embarrassing.  I would rather pick 32d.

Well, you may almost get your wish. Looks like we'll be picking 33d
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Next week's game could be absolutely hilarious. Both teams trying to lose.

Most likely won't happen as both teams are professional, but the premise could be priceless.

The Dolphins had been playing better...but the Giants crushed them today.
Reply/Quote