Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st pick overall in better shape
(12-15-2019, 06:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This last free agency period was the worst I've seen from the Bengals in awhile. I've had issues with their free agency approach for many years, but it felt like they gave absolutely zero shits this time around...taking the easiest, laziest route they could.

You mean resigning you're two worst players in the off-season isn't a good plan.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:25 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Due to NY winning today, the Bengals have two games on all competitors in the race for #1.  Given the team’s multiple, massive holes and aversion to FA, landing the top pick is ideal.  A loss to either Miami and Cleveland will secure it.  The question is, do you see the team trading down and acquiring picks given all these holes on the o-line, at LB, at QB, and WR/TE.

I would love for them to trade the #1 overall and get a haul of picks, somewhere around three first rounders (two this year and one next?) plus maybe even a player (Putney, get Putney!).  The reality is, though, they will take Burrow because they need a QB and they fear looking stupid more than succeeding when it comes to draft moves. 

There is almost always a team wanting to move up to the top of Rd 2, though, and maybe they could acquire a few picks there.  I would also be down for seeing what they could get for Atkins and Dunlap but it won't happen.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 08:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would love for them to trade the #1 overall and get a haul of picks, somewhere around three first rounders (two this year and one next?) plus maybe even a player (Putney, get Putney!).  The reality is, though, they will take Burrow because they need a QB and they fear looking stupid more than succeeding when it comes to draft moves. 

There is almost always a team wanting to move up to the top of Rd 2, though, and maybe they could acquire a few picks there.  I would also be down for seeing what they could get for Atkins and Dunlap but it won't happen.  

I'm with you:  Trade the pick.  The Bengals have issues at almost every position.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:25 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Due to NY winning today, the Bengals have two games on all competitors in the race for #1.  Given the team’s multiple, massive holes and aversion to FA, landing the top pick is ideal.  A loss to either Miami and Cleveland will secure it.  The question is, do you see the team trading down and acquiring picks given all these holes on the o-line, at LB, at QB, and WR/TE.

have to have the #1 now if Chase young staying in school
Reply/Quote

I'd love to see CIN lose to MIA and then beat CLE in Week 17 to see CLE either match their loss total from last year (9) or even exceed it (10). After all that premature hype in the offseason of how they were going to win the division, it would be so great to see them have a losing season yet again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I'm with you:  Trade the pick.  The Bengals have issues at almost every position.

Can you imagine getting the #2 overall pick, another pick in the 20s, and Miami's first rounder next year (which will likely still be a high pick)?  Before I get crucified, no...I am not aware that Miami will offer that for Burrow, but I can't help but wonder.

You could still draft Tue and get some incredible talent to build the lines around him.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Can you imagine getting the #2 overall pick, another pick in the 20s, and Miami's first rounder next year (which will likely still be a high pick)?  Before I get crucified, no...I am not aware that Miami will offer that for Burrow, but I can't help but wonder.

You could still draft Tue and get some incredible talent to build the lines around him.  

Drafting Tua is a terrible idea. The injury concerns are just not worth the risk. I can’t believe there’s still people talking this trade the pick nonsense after yesterday. QB is one of our biggest needs and there’s a kid making history that’s ours for the taking. It couldn’t be any easier of a decision.

FWIW Anthony Munoz was on Golic and Wingo this morning and he wants the Bengals to take Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Can you imagine getting the #2 overall pick, another pick in the 20s, and Miami's first rounder next year (which will likely still be a high pick)?  Before I get crucified, no...I am not aware that Miami will offer that for Burrow, but I can't help but wonder.

There's atleast some chance that Tua or Herbert will be better Pros than Burrow. I still like Burrow A LOT.

I just don't trust the Bengals to be able to scout and pick the best QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's atleast some chance that Tua or Herbert will be better Pros than Burrow. I still like Burrow A LOT.

I just don't trust the Bengals to be able to scout and pick the best QB.

There’s also at least some chance Tua is a bust because he won’t be able to stay healthy.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just don't trust the Bengals to be able to scout and pick the best QB.

Me either.  I think the Bengals need to have a serious meeting about what sort of offensive system they plan to run in 2020 before deciding who to pick in the draft.  If they want a traditional pocket passer, then by all means select Joe Burrow.  For some more mobility they could draft Jalen Hurts -- or sign Cam Newton and look at drafting other needed positions.  If Mike Brown and Zac Taylor want a little of both, a healthy Tua Tagovailoa might be a good pick.  There are lots of excellent options but having an offensive system in place first is essential.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Drafting Tua is a terrible idea. The injury concerns are just not worth the risk. I can’t believe there’s still people talking this trade the pick nonsense after yesterday. QB is one of our biggest needs and there’s a kid making history that’s ours for the taking. It couldn’t be any easier of a decision.

FWIW Anthony Munoz was on Golic and Wingo this morning and he wants the Bengals to take Burrow.

Tua was just as highly rated before injury, if not higher.  He is a Drew Brees, and that can win a lot of NFL games.  You will have a hard time convincing me that Tua plus two other first round picks is not > Burrow, but it doesn't matter.  The Bengals will take Burrow.
Reply/Quote
were not out of the woods yet win out and we more than likely not even picking 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 05:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Tua was just as highly rated before injury, if not higher.  He is a Drew Brees, and that can win a lot of NFL games.  You will have a hard time convincing me that Tua plus two other first round picks is not > Burrow, but it doesn't matter.  The Bengals will take Burrow.

If Tua and 2 other 1st's > Burrow, then why would the Dolphins or any other team give 3 1's for Burrow?  That's a big issue with a lot of hypothetical message board trades.  They generally assume that the other team is incompetent.

I like Tua as a prospect, but he's highly injury prone and may not even come out this year due to his injury.  I don't know that a team like ours that's gotten so little out of 1st round picks lately because of injuries can roll the dice on him in 1.  There is a significant chance that his hip injury really changes what he can do on the field.

The Browns have tried the trade down and fill holes and draft a lesser QB prospect over and over again. It doesn't work.  People forget that the Cowboys already had Aikman when they pulled the Walker trade. If you have a QB, you trade down to fill holes around him.  If you don't, you take the top guy if you have a shot at him.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 05:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: If Tua and 2 other 1st's > Burrow, then why would the Dolphins or any other team give 3 1's for Burrow?  That's a big issue with a lot of hypothetical message board trades.  They generally assume that the other team is incompetent.

I like Tua as a prospect, but he's highly injury prone and may not even come out this year due to his injury.  I don't know that a team like ours that's gotten so little out of 1st round picks lately because of injuries can roll the dice on him in 1.  There is a significant chance that his hip injury really changes what he can do on the field.

The Browns have tried the trade down and fill holes and draft a lesser QB prospect over and over again. It doesn't work.  People forget that the Cowboys already had Aikman when they pulled the Walker trade. If you have a QB, you trade down to fill holes around him.  If you don't, you take the top guy if you have a shot at him.

There's risk in the Dolphins 1st Round pick next year too...as they have some $100 million in cap space. They could be an 8-9 win team.

I don't trust the Bengals drafting Tua with his injury that they'll properly evaluate it. I don't trust the Bengals evaluating Herbert either. There's some chance that Herbert or Tua land in a better situation and outperform Burrow, but we have to go with Burrow. He's the obvious pick.

Plus, the whole trade down thing can blow up. The Falcons offered us the same package for the pick that became AJ Green as they did to the Browns for the Julio Jones pick. The Browns landed 5 players:

Phil Taylor
Greg Little
Owen Merecic (a RB) in the 3rd Round - Released after 2 years and retired.
Brandon Weeden
Trent Richardson

For a team that selected a blocking TE in the 2nd Round, the Bengals would likely make similar mistakes.
Reply/Quote
I can see us getting that 1st #1 pick in the 2020 draft, and the selection should be QB , and then once that pick is secure, then use your other picks to get the LB, or OL, etc.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 06:40 PM)Bigcatfan Wrote: I can see us getting that 1st #1 pick in the 2020 draft, and the selection should be QB Joe Bower, and then once that pick is secure, then use your other picks to get the LB, or OL, etc.
I didn't realize the strength of schedule for the Bengals this season is .575, the highest of any team in the NFL.
So that tells me the Bengals aren't as bad as I've thought them to be.  A great draft could be the kick in the pants they need for an 8-8 season in 2020.  Chase Young or Burrow?  I've seen plenty of Young on B1G TV this season.  He looks like a sure star in the NFL.  Burrow I've seen once.
Young is the safe pick and that's probably the way the Bengals go. 
Reply/Quote
C'mon.. They'll pick some guy from Coastal Carolina in the first round as they should being who runs the franchise..maybe some guy from Sinclair Community college who wanted to play football. THAT's A Mikey move for ya! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 05:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Tua was just as highly rated before injury, if not higher.  He is a Drew Brees, and that can win a lot of NFL games.  You will have a hard time convincing me that Tua plus two other first round picks is not > Burrow, but it doesn't matter.  The Bengals will take Burrow.

Right, but the injury did happen. As did hip surgery. That’s scary stuff. Especially for that style of QB.

Reply/Quote
My only wish, and i"ve lowered my standards dramatically for the upcoming draft is.. just PLEASE, PLEASE make sure they make sure they are healthy.

Ross & Jonah was too much! Heck, make the MRI scanner a requirement.

Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:30 PM)Sensei Wrote: Of the Bengals win out and the the Giants for the same record, who gets the first pick?
Any idea what the tie breaker is?

Pretty sure it goes by SOS, and we have the hardest among all 3,4,5 win teams. So if we screw up and tie with several 3 win teams we drop to the end of the line.
Reply/Quote