Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Important Days
(03-31-2021, 04:16 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Look, I get what you're saying, but every team goes into the next season "planning" on injury-prone people to NOT be injured. Bengals did it for years with Eifert.Teams just don't sign "over" guys especially ones they drafted very high and are paying good money to. They can''t afford that luxury. The roster is only so large and to rob Peter to pay Paul, so to speak, when they need help at other positions is exactly that.

Do you think MLB teams that lose a good pitcher or two or, rather, highly-compensated ones just for a season due to an injury that requires surgery but are expected to recover just go back out and sign two more? Of course they don't. If Dr. Andrews or any highly qualified, reputable Doc says they're good-to-go in 8-10 months then those teams "plan" on them coming back.

That's 100% what they did with Tee Higgins and John Ross/AJ Green. Ross and Green couldn't stay healthy, so they drafted Higgins. You think that if Ross and Green could stay healthy that Higgins would be on this team right now? 

It's also why they drafted Dennard. Hall wasn't able to stay healthy anymore and Kirkpatrick started off his career with rocky health as well.

Andre Smith was hurt in 2014, they drafted Jake Fisher.
Eifert missed 15 games in 2014, they drafted Tyler Kroft in 2015.
Tyler Kroft missed 11 games in 2018, they drafted Drew Sample in 2019.

They have been doing that for ages. All teams do. A guy that isn't healthy contributes nothing, and then you're relying on his backup, who is likely not a starting quality player.

- - - - - - -

It's also not like OL can't move positions. Even if Williams stays healthy the rest of his career, the Bengals still need a LG. Either he or Sewell can move there. It worked for Whitworth.

- - - - - - -

As for MLB, they also 100% do that, it's just harder there because their contracts are fully guaranteed and you need to draft a guy 3-6 years in advance of when you need him. NFL careers are over by the time MLB players generally get called up after being drafted.

So that's obviously an apples to oranges comparison there, but yeah, you can have 5 healthy quality starting pitchers and you still can draft a pitcher in the 1st round. That's not unusual.

The Astros drafted SS Carlos Correa in the 1st round in 2012. He made his MLB debut in 2015 (won rookie of the year, was 24th in MVP voting). They used their 1st round pick in 2015 to draft SS Alex Bregman.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 04:30 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: In Whits pic his hands are not clinched shut as tight as he can like in Sewells pic you can tell Sewell is flexing. no love handles in whits pic you can see Sewells love handles even though he is trying to hide them with his forearms. Sewell is doing his best Hulk Hogan pose and he has no muscle defination at all in his chest, forearms or biceps. Not to metion Whit is prolly 30 something in his pic and Sewell is 20 or so. Not to mention he is in a gym and has no sweat at all on him only thing he has been doing is texting on that phone.

Maybe sit the bong down for a bit?

You do realize that people aren't at the peak of their muscular development at 20, right? Also that people can take a photo BEFORE they work out?

You've put way too much thought into constructing this reality of yours where Sewell is a lazy out of shape bum. Lol

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: You can draft Kyle Pitts and still get a explosive WR in the later RDs. Its a deeper WR draft. There arent any TEs put together 
Like Pitts in this draft. You go with rarer specimen.

Totally disagree on Pitts. He isn't a true TE prospect and won't play that traditionaltuonal role in the NFL. He doesn't have the body for it.

I would rather the Bengals go Chase and then The TE from Penn State if they feel TE is a major need (I think it is). That kid plays and looks like Gronk. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:01 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Totally disagree on Pitts. He isn't a true TE prospect and won't play that traditionaltuonal role in the NFL. He doesn't have the body for it.

I would rather the Bengals go Chase and then The TE from Penn State if they feel TE is a major need (I think it is). That kid plays and looks like Gronk. 

Im.aware Pitts would be used all around the formation and not lined up as traditional TE. 
But the fact of the matter is he can block DEs. 
He did it at Florida.
Pitts is  the best offensive weapon in this draft along with Chase
The Bengals already have a tradtional TE and hes not even good
Doing that.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 04:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you know I wouldnt be mad if they went defense there

they just better go guard and center rounds 2 and 3

Im not a person who thinks pass catchers are a super necessity when the defense stinks and the o-line also stinks

I'm being honest here...I don't think they draft a C. I think the priority will be G and OT, then they can get a C next draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:01 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Totally disagree on Pitts. He isn't a true TE prospect and won't play that traditionaltuonal role in the NFL. He doesn't have the body for it.

Why do we have to have a "traditional" TE?
And why can't we just use Sample or Uzomah in that role while Pitts is in a hybrid role?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chase just did a 41" vertical jump, and an 11' broad jump. Damn.

(Also 9 5/8" hands, so above 9.5, which is nice.)

wow, probably photographed him with a filter ON, his legs look like he missed leg day permanently. Not bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 09:58 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: wow, probably photographed him with a filter ON, his legs look like he missed leg day permanently. Not bad.

Legs looked fine today.

[Image: Ex0hE8sWgAICFYH?format=jpg&name=medium]

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im.aware Pitts would be used all around the formation and not lined up as traditional TE. 
But the fact of the matter is he can block DEs. 
He did it at Florida.
Pitts is  the best offensive weapon in this draft along with Chase
The Bengals already have a tradtional TE and hes not even good
Doing that.

I don't think there is a wrong answer between Chse/Pitts/Best Olineman
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why do we have to have a "traditional" TE?
And why can't we just use Sample or Uzomah in that role while Pitts is in a hybrid role?

I'm not sure how the offes can be tailored around that? I'm sure they could work that in, but the 2 offenses in the SB had dominant, traditional TEs.

I see zero negatives with tradional, big frameTEs that can block, run, and catch. I see olenty of negatives with TEs who are really just either a dead giveaway as to what side the Bengals are NOT running to, or what side to blitz from on passing downs.

Look, I won't be throwing a remote at the TV is they select Pitts. I'll be A ok with it. I just don't see what problem he solves for the Bengals that Pat Freiermuth doesn't solve (in the 2nd)... and it improves in line blocking.

Like, Pitts doesn't solve the gaping hole at deep threat, #1 WR, that the Bengals have had for the last 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:48 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm not sure how the offes can be tailored around that? I'm sure they could work that in, but the 2 offenses in the SB had dominant, traditional TEs.

I see zero negatives with tradional, big frameTEs that can block, run, and catch. I see olenty of negatives with TEs who are really just either a dead giveaway as to what side the Bengals are NOT running to, or what side to blitz from on passing downs.

Look, I won't be throwing a remote at the TV is they select Pitts. I'll be A ok with it. I just don't see what problem he solves for the Bengals that Pat Freiermuth doesn't solve (in the 2nd)... and it improves in line blocking.

Like, Pitts doesn't solve the gaping hole at deep threat, #1 WR, that the Bengals have had for the last 3 seasons.

I'm not 100% bought in to the Bengals needing a bona-fide deep threat #1 WR.
As long as the team is moving the ball and scoring TDs, that's all that matters. Patriots were able to win quite a few Super Bowls without that kind of WR on their roster.
Also, why can't Pitts be an outside WR for a good number of snaps?
The Bengals could split Pitts out wide and keep Sample/Uzomah inline.
The offensive weapons would be Pitts and Higgins outside, Boyd in slot, Sample/Uzomah inline.

Fun fact btw, Pitts is (probably) faster than any of the starting WRs on the team. He's not much slower than Chase, but he's 40 lbs and 5" taller.

Last, I think the "traditional TE" thing is overblown. Pitts is only 2 lbs lighter than Tony Gonzalez was when he played, and Pitts has room to add more bulk to get above 250. He'll be fine if the team wants to make him a "traditional TE."
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:10 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not 100% bought in to the Bengals needing a bona-fide deep threat #1 WR.
As long as the team is moving the ball and scoring TDs, that's all that matters. Patriots were able to win quite a few Super Bowls without that kind of WR on their roster.
The offensive weapons would be Pitts and Higgins outside, Boyd in slot, Sample/Uzomah inline.

Fun fact btw, Pitts is (probably) faster than any of the starting WRs on the team. He's not much slower than Chase, but he's 40 lbs and 5" taller.

Last, I think the "traditional TE" thing is overblown. Pitts is only 2 lbs lighter than Tony Gonzalez was when he played, and Pitts has room to add more bulk to get above 250. He'll be fine if the team wants to make him a "traditional TE."

Agree

The we have to have a WR that is the fastest man on the planet narrative is way over blown.

Give me Pitts
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:30 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

The we have to have a WR that is the fastest man on the planet narrative is way over blown.

Give me Pitts

Pitts would be great, but it ain’t happening. Not only is ATL probably taking him, but it really sounds like the word coming out of PBS is Chase.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:10 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not 100% bought in to the Bengals needing a bona-fide deep threat #1 WR.

I'm not sure about Pitts agility in terms of route running in the type of offense the Bengals run. Does he have short space quickness to make cuts and explode to an area of the field? Come back routes? Etc. In fairness/credit to both of them, the Bengals seem absolutely A OK molding the offense around their players. Matt Jones was also a long, tall, incredible athlete, and did really well at WR... when focused. So, I am definitely not opposed to Pitts as a WR. I'm just not sure of his ability to be an actual TE in the NFL and the Bengals have, only what (?) 3 traditional TEs on the roster with 1 of those coming back from coming back from major injury to his leg.

I like the fact that, by all accounts, Pitts is an ultra high character guy. Like I said, not upset if they take Pitts. Just not sure how he fits the Bengals and what they do.
Reply/Quote
I still want Sewell if there, but I'd definitely be happy with Chase. Either way I'd be very happy.

A month ago I was thinking trade down if Sewell is gone. With the high level talent available at our pick, I'd rather us stay put and take the potentially elite player. We seem to have a so so batting average with mid round picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pitts would be great, but it ain’t happening. Not only is ATL probably taking him, but it really sounds like the word coming out of PBS is Chase.

And I will still be very happy ! Dancing
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:35 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm not sure about Pitts agility in terms of route running in the type of offense the Bengals run. Does he have short space quickness to make cuts and explode to an area of the field? Come back routes? Etc. In fairness/credit to both of them, the Bengals seem absolutely A OK molding the offense around their players. Matt Jones was also a long, tall, incredible athlete, and did really well at WR... when focused. So, I am definitely not opposed to Pitts as a WR. I'm just not sure of his ability to be an actual TE in the NFL and the Bengals have, only what (?) 3 traditional TEs on the roster with 1 of those coming back from coming back from major injury to his leg.

I like the fact that, by all accounts, Pitts is an ultra high character guy. Like I said, not upset if they take Pitts. Just not sure how he fits the Bengals and what they do.

Have you watched any of the film on Pitts? If so, you should be able to easily conclude that yes, he does have the short space quickness.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Chase and Pitts are elite prospects for sure.

Sorry but they are luxuries the Bengals cannot afford at the moment.  

The lack of an even an average o line has killed this team for the last few seasons.

It will kill them again next year and turn Burrow into David Carr.

Burrow will be a dominant QB regardless of his WRs if the Bengals have a legitimate running game and Burrow has time to go through his progressions.

If they wanted to draft Pitts or Chase they should have done whatever they needed to do to get another decent o lineman in free agency.
Reply/Quote
Who are people so terrified about on our current OL? Spain and XSF are certainly upgradable, but as long as we’re not trotting out guys like Hart, Jordan, and Redmond as starters they’re going to be way better than last year. And then you’d hope Pollack makes at least some difference (no I’m not expecting him to perform miracles). Plus we’re almost assuredly going OL in at least round 2. That might be another starter at G right there. That could leave Spain as the weakest link. I can live with that.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who are people so terrified about on our current OL? Spain and XSF are certainly upgradable, but as long as we’re not trotting out guys like Hart, Jordan, and Redmond as starters they’re going to be way better than last year. And then you’d hope Pollack makes at least some difference (no I’m not expecting him to perform miracles). Plus we’re almost assuredly going OL in at least round 2. That might be another starter at G right there. That could leave Spain as the weakest link. I can live with that.

We said that last year too....

Chase in one.

Then an edge rusher or IDL slides and we have to take him in round 2 (BPA can't draft for need as people have said over and over)

There is absolutely zero guarantee when it comes to the Bengals. So, how happy will you be passing on Sewell to take Chase, if round 2 is a edge rusher and it's round 3 or 4 before they look at OL, because that is a real possibility.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote