Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Ohio State Buckeyes
(09-01-2015, 11:59 AM)Ryuko Wrote: Before 2007, no sophomore had ever won a Heisman. Tebow did.

Before 2012, no freshman had ever won a Heisman. Manziel did.

Before 2015, no one had ever rushed for 200 yards against Nick Saban's Alabama defense. Elliott did.

Before 2015, no team had ever been a unanimous preseason #1. Ohio State is.

Preaching about sports history is for chumps. If you feel differently, perhaps I should remind you the Bengals have never won a Super Bowl? Here's a fun one: The Bengals have never won a playoff game with a non-Beatles themed Pope. Should we of bengalsboard.net collectively pack it in until Francis dies and they replace him with Pope John Paul George Ringo?

Yeah this team is stacked.  We got three guys that could QB for about any team in the country.  Before last year, no one had ever won a playoff championship.  I like their chances to do it again.  
Reply/Quote
OSU looks deadly this year.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 12003959_10153145378562634_8699435933978...e=565CECB1]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=HQ.145223011823&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300...=300&h=300]

So you do the Hokie Pokie and you turn yourself around
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 07:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: [Image: 12003959_10153145378562634_8699435933978...e=565CECB1]

Injuries are unfortunate, but that was a textbook hit that his bones just couldn't handle. I'm hoping it comes out that he has a calcium deficiency or something, because if he was a healthy college student that could easily happen to 11 other QBs this season.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
I would like to see Jones run less overall. Run when he has to for sure, but he shouldn't be taking unnecessary shots with that big frame.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 10:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would like to see Jones run less overall. Run when he has to for sure, but he shouldn't be taking unnecessary shots with that big frame.

More like opposing defensive players taking unnecessary shots by trying to tackle him. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 10:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would like to see Jones run less overall. Run when he has to for sure, but he shouldn't be taking unnecessary shots with that big frame.

I agree. Jones looks a step faster than he did 9 months ago, but he's still no JT or Braxton when it comes to getaway speed. I think Urban needs to accept that we can't (or rather, shouldn't) run the option every third play with him in, and only let him run on broken pass plays. Elliott should be doing the heavy lifting on a regular basis, and I think Urban alluded to that in his post-game presser.
Reply/Quote

Same. I would also like to see him set his feet a little more. JT is by far the more polished QB.  
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
OH...IO.....OH....IO.......Nice win at Virginia Tech to start the season. Dancing Dancing
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 10:36 PM)kevin Wrote: OH...IO.....OH....IO.......Nice win at Virginia Tech to start the season.  Dancing  Dancing

Always feels good to start the season off right.  Rock On
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Urban said yesterday during his call-in show that their approach to handling the QBs this year could be a "little unorthodox." Could this mean Urban could change the starter by the opponent, like a true Pokémaster? It is "Cardale Jones OR J.T. Barrett" on the depth chart, after all.

From TheOzone.net:

Quote:This is just the genius of Urban Meyer.

I mean, think about it: This is essentially a four-day week. The top-ranked Buckeyes, especially Jones, are beat up and sore after a tough Monday night game against a physical defense. Barrett is fresh and ready and focused.

What’s more, he deserves to start.

Ohio State has never done what many head coaches have told me over the years that they will never do again – play a Saturday game following a Monday game.

I think I'll let Urban Meyer determine who "deserves" to start, but alternating quarterbacks would bring a level of gamesmanship never seen before in college football. Usually if teams are changing quarterbacks it's in an attempt to put out a dumpster fire. We know that isn't the case in Columbus.

I'm not sure I buy the theory, but it makes you think for sure.

Quoting an article containing a quote from another article? Yeah, I went there.

Four starters returning from (team-imposed) suspension and a JT as the starter? That would work wonders to stop short-week fatigue. More importantly, it would send a message to the next 10+ opponents that they can't afford to only prepare for one starting QB. The idea of Urban as a Pokemon master, choosing his starters based on the opponent's weakness, highlights the unique luxury he has this year. Most teams are lucky to have one QB who won't piss the game away, but he can deliver the "prepare for trouble, and make it double" line with a straight face all year long.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 11:07 AM)Ryuko Wrote: Quoting an article containing a quote from another article? Yeah, I went there.

Four starters returning from (team-imposed) suspension and a JT as the starter? That would work wonders to stop short-week fatigue. More importantly, it would send a message to the next 10+ opponents that they can't afford to only prepare for one starting QB. The idea of Urban as a Pokemon master, choosing his starters based on the opponent's weakness, highlights the unique luxury he has this year. Most teams are lucky to have one QB who won't piss the game away, but he can deliver the "prepare for trouble, and make it double" line with a straight face all year long.

Well I was in agreement with your logic, but neither QB seemed to do much to me.  Hawaii's defense played great, and hopefully the short week also played a part in that game.  But we'll need to play MUCH better to repeat as champs...
Reply/Quote
What the heck is the worry ???......Ohio State won at Virginia Tech on Monday, came home, went to classes, went to practices, played again Saturday and won again. Both wins were by big scores playing 2 games in 6 days. ....Urban Meyer said he isn't worried and why should he be ???......The National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes just started the season with 2 wins in 6 days and both by big scores against the other teams.

This isn't the NFL, these are college kids, most won't be going to the NFL, most have classes to go to unlike NFL players. I think winning 2 games in 6 days and winning them pretty easy is pretty good....The Bengals just won very east at Oakland and some are already trying to say what Bengals did wrong, it's just silly. ....I think some people can't handle winning, always looking for the negative.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2015, 11:17 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Well I was in agreement with your logic, but neither QB seemed to do much to me.  Hawaii's defense played great, and hopefully the short week also played a part in that game.  But we'll need to play MUCH better to repeat as champs...

It certainly wasn't the sharpest that we've seen these kids play, but if we can phone it in and still get a 38-0 win, I'll take it. I know the expectations are "repeat or bust", but that doesn't mean we have to look like the best team in the country every week... As long as we're the best team on the field.

Meanwhile, the scumbags who spent the week analyzing our schedule instead of focusing on their own games all lost. Spurrier & South Carolina lost to Kentucky, Bielema & Arkansas lost to Toledo, Mullen & MSU lost to LSU, and of course Auburn went to OT at home against an FCS squad. All in all, things could have gone a lot worse for the Buckeyes. LOL

(09-13-2015, 09:59 PM)kevin Wrote: What the heck is the worry ???......Ohio State won at Virginia Tech on Monday, came home, went to classes, went to practices, played again Saturday and won again. Both wins were by big scores playing 2 games in 6 days. ....Urban Meyer said he isn't worried and why should he be ???......The National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes just started the season with 2 wins in 6 days and both by big scores against the other teams.

This isn't the NFL, these are college kids, most won't be going to the NFL, most have classes to go to unlike NFL players. I think winning 2 games in 6 days and winning them pretty easy is pretty good....The Bengals just won very east at Oakland and some are already trying to say what Bengals did wrong, it's just silly. ....I think some people can't handle winning, always looking for the negative.

I don't think you'll find any genuinely upset OSU or Bengal fans after this weekend. It is a matter of being realistic, though. OSU won't repeat if they continue to look like they did Saturday. I expect them to be outstanding against NIU, but no one wants to see us playing low like we did if and when a better team comes in playing high.

Same goes for the Bengals. I had to listen to the game as opposed to watching it, but I know we had a few drops and the rushing game wasn't all we hoped for. I'm not upset about it by any means, we got a road win against an NFL squad while the rest of the division lost! But there is room for improvement before we play a team that, well... isn't the Raiders.

In my mind, there's a huge difference between fans who are satisfied with a result and those who see what it will take to get the same result next week. If the final score is all that matters, then there's not a whole lot of room for discussion. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 11:13 AM)Ryuko Wrote: It certainly wasn't the sharpest that we've seen these kids play, but if we can phone it in and still get a 38-0 win, I'll take it. I know the expectations are "repeat or bust", but that doesn't mean we have to look like the best team in the country every week... As long as we're the best team on the field.

Meanwhile, the scumbags who spent the week analyzing our schedule instead of focusing on their own games all lost. Spurrier & South Carolina lost to Kentucky, Bielema & Arkansas lost to Toledo, Mullen & MSU lost to LSU, and of course Auburn went to OT at home against an FCS squad. All in all, things could have gone a lot worse for the Buckeyes. LOL

I don't think you'll find any genuinely upset OSU or Bengal fans after this weekend. It is a matter of being realistic, though. OSU won't repeat if they continue to look like they did Saturday. I expect them to be outstanding against NIU, but no one wants to see us playing low like we did if and when a better team comes in playing high.

Same goes for the Bengals. I had to listen to the game as opposed to watching it, but I know we had a few drops and the rushing game wasn't all we hoped for. I'm not upset about it by any means, we got a road win against an NFL squad while the rest of the division lost! But there is room for improvement before we play a team that, well... isn't the Raiders.

In my mind, there's a huge difference between fans who are satisfied with a result and those who see what it will take to get the same result next week. If the final score is all that matters, then there's not a whole lot of room for discussion. 

On the other hand, Woody Hayes said the problem in 1969 was Ohio State had won the National Championship in 1968 season and nobody had really gave them a hard game in a long time when they played at Michigan.  Woody said the problem with beating everybody by big scores is the players started reading their own press clippings about how good they were....So per Woody, if Ohio State was beating teams 70 to 0, that could be a problem later also if the players get the big head....Right now, Ohio State, to me, is looking for a WR to step and somewhat replace the one that graduated and is in the NFL. Other than that, Ohio State should be better than last year....Still, it is almost impossible to win the National Championship back to back years, but Ohio State does have the team to do it because they brought back most of he team. Woody would say, beware of what happened in 1969 and don't read your own press clippings about how great you are. Urban Meyer is just the coach to handle that.....Also, one of these QBs will step up, be it Jones, Barrett or putting Miller back at QB. Again, Urban Meyer is the perfect coach to handle this.

and again, I don't think people are taking into account 2 games in 6 days, plus college classes to go to, and still winning by big scores on the road and at home. I think people are worrying over nothing. These were nice wins by good scores with 2 games in just 6 days. I'll tell you this, if I was you, I wouldn't bet the house money that Ohio State won't win the National Championship again. Urban Meyer says the team is very loaded and he expected the Championship this year, not last.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
And we're shitting the bed again.  These boys need to stop believing the hype and go after it.  At the same time, Myer needs to stop forgetting what worked to get to the finish line last year, the legs of Ezekiel Elliott.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2015, 05:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And we're shitting the bed again.  These boys need to stop believing the hype and go after it.  At the same time, Myer needs to stop forgetting what worked to get to the finish line last year, the legs of Ezekiel Elliott.

Agreed.  They need to quit playing down to the competition, and just go back to the power run and throw the ball downfield.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2015, 06:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  They need to quit playing down to the competition, and just go back to the power run and throw the ball downfield.

Without all the cutesy multiple fake sweeps, etc.  Just good, old-fashioned North-South running with Zeke to draw in the secondary.  Especially since the Oline will enjoy putting their heads down and pushing guys.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2015, 06:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  They need to quit playing down to the competition, and just go back to the power run and throw the ball downfield.

(09-19-2015, 06:28 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Without all the cutesy multiple fake sweeps, etc.  Just good, old-fashioned North-South running with Zeke to draw in the secondary.  Especially since the Oline will enjoy putting their heads down and pushing guys.

Surprise!  We can move the ball that way!
Reply/Quote