Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Cincinnati Reds season thread
Lazy asses. Mad

Anyway...you know how it works. All general Reds talk can go here.

I was kind of hit and miss watching/listening on opening day due to working. The one thing that i noticed was that the atmosphere surrounding/during the game was much better than the last couple years, despite the expected results predicted for this year. The energy was much better, overall. I know it's the Phillies and it was opening day and it could go downhill very fast. But at least for that day, they played well. Pretty strong start by Iglesias.

There is some potential on offense if they can stay healthy but pitching...especially the bullpen...yeeeesh. I can't say i have much, if any confidence in Hoover.

It would be nice, for once, if a Cincinnati team--with such low expectations--could surprise everyone and get big years from some key guys and a couple unexpected places, and actually play well enough to contend for a playoff spot, similar to the millions of times i've seen other teams do it. I won't be holding my breath, but at least for a day, it was fun to watch.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I actually think we will be able to score quite a few runs this year.

Votto is one of the best hitters in the league.

Over the 3 year span from '11 to '13 Jay Bruce hit more home runs and had more RBI than any other player in the National League. He may not reach that level again, but if he can learn to hit around that shift just a little better he can be one of the better OFs in the NL.

Zack Cozart is a lot better hitter than many people give him credit for and was having a breakout season when he got hurt last year.

I don't think Mesaraco will hit like he did in '14, but he could still be one of the better hitting catchers in the NL.

Suarez showed a very lively bat last year.

Phillips does not have much power or speed anymore, but he hit for a high average last year.

Duvall could easily hit 30-35 HR this year. the problem is that he will also hit around .200 and strike out 200 times.

Billy Hamilton HAS TO BE better than he was last year. He actually dropped off dramatically from his rookie numbers.

But our pitching is AAA level right now. It would take a miracle to get a decent staff out of all the cast-offs and rookies we have right now. They are going to suck, but I'll be satisfied if they look like they are learning and improving over the course of the season.
Reply/Quote
First place!

Two pretty cool wins. Maybe not enough people told them they were going to sukk. Or maybe too many. Or maybe two games does not a season make. Still. 2-0 beats 0-2.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 11:43 PM)McC Wrote: First place!  

Two pretty cool wins.  Maybe not enough people told them they were going to sukk.  Or maybe too many.  Or maybe two games does not a season make.  Still. 2-0 beats 0-2.

Or maybe it is the fact they are playing the worst team in MLB.

But tonight was a great, exciting game.  I am going to enjoy games like this when get one.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 01:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe it is the fact they are playing the worst team in MLB.

But tonight was a great, exciting game.  I am going to enjoy games like this when get one.

It feels good to start the year against one of the few teams that are worse than us.

Depending on rookies/young 'uns to throw quality starts all year is a great way to have a bad year and the fact that we've had to come back from being down against one of the worst bullpens in America means our offense is not doing nearly enough.

No one on our offense has shown well in these two games, except for Cozart.
Reply/Quote
That's the thing about sports that keeps people watching. Your team might on paper look like the greatest thing since sliced bread and might play up to it,but they might not and the opposite, on paper your team might look like the 3 stooges meet Gilligans Island and go on to win it all..
Most everyone who makes it to the pro level has the potential to be really good and a lot of it comes down to whether they can play as a team or if it's 25 bruised egos all languishing at the bottom.
I'll be happy if they make it to 3rd place in the division and even more happy if the miracle comes through and they somehow run away with it all and win the WS.. It should be noted that I'm not really expecting much from this team, but sometimes we get really pleasant surprises..
It should be noted means I'll expect you all to have journal entries about this on my desk in the morning..lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
And rfaulk... It's bad form to start out a seasonal thread by insulting everyone who didn't start the thread..
We were all just waiting for your magic touch to start the thread you lazy ass..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Just turned on the game and it looks like attendance is about 500.

But at least they are seeing a great show so far. 8-2 Reds in the fourth inning.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just turned on the game and it looks like attendance is about 500.

But at least they are seeing a great show so far.  8-2 Reds in the fourth inning.

3 run shot from Mr. May, and a grand salami from Suarez.  As you noted earlier, it looks like we'll score, but we may be like those Tigers teams of the mid 90's, losing 15-12.  Time will tell.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 10:07 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It feels good to start the year against one of the few teams that are worse than us.

Depending on rookies/young 'uns to throw quality starts all year is a great way to have a bad year and the fact that we've had to come back from being down against one of the worst bullpens in America means our offense is not doing nearly enough.

No one on our offense has shown well in these two games, except for Cozart.

I think the offense has the potential to be decent.  You have a fair amount of guys who have shown in the past that they can hit.  Some of them with limited time to base that off of, but still they could put up some runs.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 03:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: 3 run shot from Mr. May, and a grand salami from Suarez.  As you noted earlier, it looks like we'll score, but we may be like those Tigers teams of the mid 90's, losing 15-12.  Time will tell.

I am not even saying we will be one of the top scoring teams.  All I am saying is that we will be decent on offense.

Our pitching may not be as bad as I think, but right now it looks like one of the worst staffs in the league.  I am not sure what every other team has, but they can't be much worse than what the Reds have on paper.
Reply/Quote
Reds start 3-0 with sweep of Phillies.....Phillies are suppose to be a lousy team this year, but still a 3-0 start.....and you beat the teams that aren't very good is what the TV announcers always say....I hope the Reds pitching and the Reds are better than all the media predicted....The pitching is the big reason all media picked Reds as a last place team in the NL Central.  Some pitchers stepped up in this series. If the Reds pitchers step up in 2016, then that changes everything.......Still very early, but 3-0 is a good start. These wins count as much as wins in September.......Reds now play Pirates, Cubs and Cardinals and of course wins against these division powers would be huge. If Reds pitching steps up, wins could happen. 

The Surprise Star of that Series is easily the entire Reds pitching staff.  Picked to be one of the worst staffs in baseball, they are so far having upper level Fantasy League numbers going into the first weekend of baseball season against also hot Pirates team. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It's even better when the Cardinals are in dead last place. I don't expect it to last, but right now I'll take it..
What would really be helpful is if Bruce can bring his average up this season to around. 270 or so and if Billy can hit half his weight.
Hope Homer gets his mojo back too..

Reply/Quote
Good way to start the season, lets keep it up Redlegs!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not even saying we will be one of the top scoring teams.  All I am saying is that we will be decent on offense.

Our pitching may not be as bad as I think, but right now it looks like one of the worst staffs in the league.  I am not sure what every other team has, but they can't be much worse than what the Reds have on paper.

Yep....agreed.  I am a Tigers fan in the American League (mainly because of Sparky's tenure there), I can recall seasons of leading the league in runs scored, strikeouts, and runs allowed. Smirk  Didn't win much, but those towering shots by Tettleton, Fielder, Deer, Fryman, E.D., Gibby, etc were fun to watch.  I remember one season, Rob Deer had 40 or so homers and hit like .185....and the pitching, oh the pitching.  That's why I compared them to the Reds, although I don't envision we'll see that kind of power.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Heads up base running by Duvall on the fly ball.

Good to see such solid baseball so far.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Nice bounce back win today after last night's gut punch. Suarez can hit. Hoping his fielding comes around. What if Jay Bruce has a good season and a couple young arms come through?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 12:14 AM)McC Wrote: Nice bounce back win today after last night's gut punch.  Suarez can hit.  Hoping his fielding comes around.  What if Jay Bruce has a good season and a couple young arms come through?

I just like the general feeling of this season, when you watch the team. I noticed a difference opening day. Health is going to be a big key and pitching will indeed be a key part of where they end up, record-wise. 

Side note: Last night i fell asleep right before the grand slam that put the Reds behind. Sitting there watching, thinking...solid play against a good team...sweeeeeet. Then i wake up this morning. But it was good to see them bounce back today. 

So far ThumbsUp ThumbsUp 

Reply/Quote
P.S. Just so happens that the reds are tied for the most wins in baseball right now.

Just so also happens that the team i root for (Reds) are in a division WITH TWO OTHER TEAMS THAT ARE TIED FOR THE MOST WINS IN BASEBALL SO FAR THIS YEAR. TWO OTHER 4 WIN TEAMS IN THE CENTRAL...!!!

**** me right in the ***** ass!! Why the hell do all my favorite teams have to be right next to other perennially good teams?!

**** nuts.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 01:02 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: P.S. Just so happens that the reds are tied for the most wins in baseball right now.

Just so also happens that the team i root for (Reds) are in a division WITH TWO OTHER TEAMS THAT ARE TIED FOR THE MOST WINS IN BASEBALL SO FAR THIS YEAR. TWO OTHER 4 WIN TEAMS IN THE CENTRAL...!!!

**** me right in the ***** ass!! Why the hell do all my favorite teams have to be right next to other perennially good teams?!

**** nuts.

Cincy luck=a plastic bag of assorted shit. 
Reply/Quote