Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback
It's way early I know. But ya can't help but get the feeling this team is gonna be way more competitive than was generally predicted.

.500 ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So how many more games until they pull the plug on Arroyo?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So how many more games until they pull the plug on Arroyo?

Soon, I hope.  Two of the three losses are his.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So how many more games until they pull the plug on Arroyo?

(04-14-2017, 08:34 AM)McC Wrote: Soon, I hope.  Two of the three losses are his.

Hopefully not waiting for Homer and DeSclafani. Arroyo doesn't have it anymore. Bring in a young guy. If we're going to lose anyway at least he'll get the experience. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 08:34 AM)McC Wrote: Soon, I hope.  Two of the three losses are his.

The only thing Arroyo strikes out is the Reds momentum.
Reply/Quote
We have other options, we need to use them because this is just bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 11:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: We have other options, we need to use them because this is just bad.

Yeah.  This is vivid proof of the old adage you can't go home again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 09:33 AM)Beaker Wrote: The only thing Arroyo strikes out is the Reds momentum.

You got that right.

Reply/Quote
a BUMP in the road by both veteran pitchers. Maybe the young guys can get a split or at least avoid a 4 game sweep. I can see letting Arroyo come back. Two outings is too early to give up on him. Plus he was always a good day, bad day pitcher. When his junk is on, he wins. When he hangs those junk pitches, he gets clobbered. Since he has been going from team to team, maybe he just throws that hanging curve way too much. He never did have a fast ball and his arm injury has probably left him with even less of a fast ball. So smart hitters wait for that hanging curve. If it turns out Arroyo just has no more game, the Reds must see that this team has talent to compete. If we were in last place maybe an old pitcher coming back and getting clobbered would be OK.

Sal Romano who dominated in Spring Training is at Louisville. 1.38 ERA in 13 innings. 8 strikeouts and 0 walks. In Spring Training he had 25 strike outs in 20 innings and only 3 walks for a 3.15 ERA. At 23 years old it would seem it is time to let him try the Big Leagues. Arroyo may not have it, Homer may never be healthy, it seems like we do have good young pitchers such as Garrett. I'm willing to let Arroyo pitch a couple more times, but if he gets clobbered 4 times in a row, that should end this comeback. I really hope next time out his junk is on and he can junk up 15 wins again, but so far it doesn't look good. Arroyo still has that big bowling curve that is fun to watch go towards the hitter and curve to the plate, until he hangs it in the wheel house like a launching pad. That junk use to be good for 15 wins a year, but not in recent years.

Even if Reds lose this series they still start 3-1 in series play. Nobody counted on that. I'm hoping they can get a win or two in this series after losing first 2 games. This team has much promise and upsides even if they lose their first series. You can't win em' all. They scored runs tonight so they are hitting. Right now the old veteran pitchers are the weak link. Still, Votto isn't hitting and many veterans are stinking in MLB early on. If Bengals would start 3-1, I would be a happy Bengal Fan.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think the bullpen is being overworked. They really really need to get 7 to 8 innings out of someone in the next few games. I know they're young starting pitchers coming through the next few games, but it's just wearing on our also young bull pen.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 12:48 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the bullpen is being overworked. They really really need to get 7 to 8 innings out of someone in the next few games. I know they're young starting pitchers coming through the next few games, but it's just wearing on our also young bull pen.

Right now the young Finnegan and Garrett have a better chance of giving us those innings than veterans Arroyo and Feldman.  A nice outing by Finnegan today would be great. He needs to keep his walks down.  His first game he kept his pitch count down but his last game he kept loading the bases and pitching out of trouble but he was shot by the 3rd or 4th inning.  If he avoids walks and errors today he should be fine today because nobody has really hit him yet.  I have more faith in Davis Sunday than Arroyo.  It appears any hopes are in the young pitchers. 

I agree not to blow out a bullpen, but it is so early. Starters on all teams just getting stretched out. Many off days.  Plus Reds are carrying a ton of pitchers and very short on pinch hitters and bench players.  They are set up for extra bullpen work.  They have a couple starters in the bullpen that maybe they need to reconsider starting, especially if they are asking them to come in and pitch 3 or more innings. They might be better starting every 5th day and going 7 innings.  Maybe Arroyo needs to go to the pen as a mop up innings eater in games we are way behind in. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well Kevin, you got one inning and a strained lat out of Finnegan.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
The good news is Reds came back and won't get swept and can even split the series Sunday avoiding their first series loss. Sorry to hear about Finnegan Well, I know you can't go early to your bullpen 162 games in a season, but this was only game 12. For now it looks like the bullpen is going to have to keep this train on the track. Maybe this will flip flop in season to where Price is crying his bullpen not getting enough innings. It's a long season.

This probably means Arroyo is much more needed no matter what as Reds must find somebody to start Thursday against Baltimore and Tuesday the 25th against Brewers this month since what I just read on lat strains is more and more pitchers are having these and some can take a long time to get over, sometimes a year or two. I hope that is not the case with Finnegan, but it sure sounds like they better make a Louisville move to add somebody. Somebody will have to pitch the 20th and 25th. With Bailey, Desclafani and now Finnegan injured, they may not have the luxury of waiting until May 15th to bring up Sal Romano. Their best pitcher this Spring is in Louisville only because he has more options. Time to use one of his options.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Looks like Reed and Stephenson will be joining the rotation.
Reply/Quote
Looks like our hitters had a rough series in general against the Brewers. Glad we stilled pulled out a win but the growing pains from our starting pitchers was very apparent this series. Adleman and Wood both looked pretty good today. Votto still not back to form. Hamilton with another great play in the outfield.
Reply/Quote
Bailey, Desclafani, Finnegan, Davis injured. 4 starting pitchers. The good news is a day off. More good news 3-1 in series play.

Anybody else noticing Cozart batting way above.400 and that is with a lot of hits for first 2 weeks.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 01:43 AM)kevin Wrote: Bailey, Desclafani, Finnegan, Davis injured. 4 starting pitchers.  The good news is a day off.  More good news 3-1 in series play.  

Anybody else noticing Cozart batting way above.400 and that is with a lot of hits for first 2 weeks.

And yet everyone still wants to unload  Cozart right away. 
Some team with great pitching is going to see their SS go down sooner or later and the market for a .400 hitting SS will suddenly go WAY WAY up.. I'm glad we still have him. 
I would hope that they could keep Romano up with the big team and see him settle in without trying to throw the ball through the catchers body. I'm thinking his first start he was just too pumped up with adrenaline. I would be to..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Thames absolutely wrecked this series. shew
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 08:18 AM)grampahol Wrote: And yet everyone still wants to unload  Cozart right away. 
Some team with great pitching is going to see their SS go down sooner or later and the market for a .400 hitting SS will suddenly go WAY WAY up.. I'm glad we still have him. 
I would hope that they could keep Romano up with the big team and see him settle in without trying to throw the ball through the catchers body. I'm thinking his first start he was just too pumped up with adrenaline. I would be to..

Romano was in Louisville.  So I wonder if he got a late call, maybe driven or bus to Cincinnati or a shuttle plane. Right into locker room and into uniform and onto field.  Maybe he had also just pitched in Louisville and still tired from that.  I do know he was great in Spring Training and at Louisville and judging him on this first start on short notice is too much the way Cleveland Browns go through quarterbacks each game.   Romano has pitched better all 2017 than this rush job emergency call up.   I am looking forward to him as a Red in the future. 

So I agree on Romano and I agree on Cozart.  I added Cozart to my Fantasy Teams because 16 hits has him on pace for around 200 hits and batting over .400 is a good way to bat over .300 ....I also added a couple other players after April 15th while dumping some of those late round picks that are either injured or not hitting.  I had a chance to add Garrett to most teams because I don't think most MLB fans know of him yet.  A 3rd straight good game against Orioles and everybody in Fantasy Baseball will try to grab him.  Teams of mine that have Duvall and/ or Suarez of course I'm glad about.   

16 of 37 for .432 BA for Cozart, and I bet a lot don't know that is one of best starts in MLB in 2017 the first 2 weeks.  In Fantasy Baseball, who can't dump a bench player struggling and add a shortstop batting .432 ....Cozarts going to start for my teams this week with some others I grabbed. Some good top picks not hitting are going to the bench until they earn their way back. After 2 weeks, I'm putting 2016 in rear view mirror and looking for 2017 guys hitting and Cozart is flat out hitting. Now pitching, I've been working on that all along and will all season. Garrett and I grabbed Royals Vargas. White Sox OF Garcia trying to dump late round dead weight for 2017 surprise players. I looked for hottest bat to add and discovered it was Cozart, not even looking for a Red. I saw a catcher batting .400 but I was actually dumping back up catchers for hot bats. I've also dumped the top closers I drafted including Chapman while adding starters listed as starters/ relievers. I will get beat on saves points but I should win out on innings pitched points and hopefully K's and Wins. It may backfire, but I discovered I wanted as much top starting pitching to cover the weeks and season as I could get. I'll take a zero in saves this season if it lets me win out in other areas.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Sal Romano optioned back to Louisville and pitcher Bonilla brought up from Louisville. We will see Romano again who may have only went a few innings, but news says fans were excited at first over his 98 MPH pitches. Price says he may have been trying too hard in his first start ever. We will see this young Romano again, and not for a one start emergency outing.

OK, Beat Baltimore and go to 4-1 this season in series play. The AL East has beat Reds brains in before. A couple years ago Reds played Baltimore, Tampa, Toronto, Boston and NY Yankees and got their brains beat in by this World Series Trophy Division. Beat Baltimore.

How many remember 1970 World Series ???..... or 1983 when Orioles beat Phillies with Rose, Morgan, Perez ????....or the Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas trade ????......Beat Baltimore and go to 4-1 in series play to start 2017.

Bengal Fan here who liked Reds beating Pittsburg and now beat Baltimore.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote