Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Reds Season Day by Day Fan Feedback
Nice debut for Mike Wazowski today. Gave us the chance for the win.
Reply/Quote
The Good : Fans seem to like these Cincinnati vs Cleveland games. Knock yourselves out the next 4 days, because they don't play each other after this.

The Bad : 2-3-1 in May and 5-7-2 on season in series play. Reds slipping backwards.

The Ugly : The Reds TV announcers watching Arroyo get clobbered again and saying he is such an old veteran in the clubhouse and how they can't wait to get his interview after the game. Look, no other team in baseball wanted him. He's in his 40's and hasn't had a good season in years. He just got clobbered again. The Reds announcers hyping Arroyo's story telling in the clubhouse when he gets the heck beat out of him is pretty weak, even by Reds announcers standards.

Again, enjoy Reds playing American League Champ Indians who took Cubs into 7th game of World Series into extra innings and lost 8 to 7. ..I'm going to make a wild guess the Indians pitching is better than the Reds is. ...but who knows, maybe Reds gets lucky.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 09:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Nice debut for Mike Wizowski today. Gave us the chance for the win.

Glad he got his first win.....Watching Reds starters get clobbered and guys in bullpen pitching better but often way behind.....I'm starting to think the wrong guys are starting and wrong guys in bullpen.....I know it's old school, but back in 1960's and 1970's teams started their best pitchers, not their worst. ....There are some starters needing demoted to the pen or minors and some bullpen or minors promoted to starters.   Especially with Reds for third year in a row having worst pitching staff in baseball. Stephenson should start and one of these bums needs to go to the pen, maybe Arroyo. ......The Wiz looks like a guy to pitch some more while some real horse meat needs to be demoted.  ....Reds turned Chapman and now Iglesias into bullpen. I guess if Reds had Kershaw, they'd have made him bullpen also. .......Glad he got the win, no thanks to the starter who got lit up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Finally a quality start! The first since our series in San Francisco 2 weekends ago haha.

Hopefully, the starters begin to pick up the slack and start performing like professional baseball players.
Reply/Quote
Excellent comeback last night! Big Grin

Hamilton is just...insanely fast. It's amazing.
Reply/Quote
Jesus. Now Garrett on the DL. Are the Reds using the Bengals medical staff?
Reply/Quote
http://www.redreporter.com/2017/5/25/15691860/cincinnati-reds-position-players-best-in-baseball-fwar

Reds starting eight leads MLB in WAR

Edit...I guess that is defense included with the WAR also.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Since game postponed way down the road, I'm calling it a 3 game series with Reds winning....and making Reds 3-3-1 in May in series play. 6-7-2 on the season.....and whoever wins that one game later, that counts as a one game series to me. .....Fans do have a Cincy vs Cleveland game July 24th in Cleveland to look forward to. Who knows what these teams will be playing like, who will be healthy, injured, hot, cold, traded.

and Reds beat Philly tonight to start series.

ADD ON : Reds just won a series in Philly for first time since 2006. ....Reds are 4-3-1 in series play in May and 7-7-2 in series play on season. ....I call that pretty good on Memorial Day considering my very low expectations before season.....Price would have to be considered for Manager of the Year at this point. With all the pitchers injured and players owners dumped for minor league players, and Manager has them around .500 ball and in the thick of things after one third of the season. Yes, he is working the heck out of the bullpen more than any manager in baseball, but since our starters give us the fewest innings in baseball, Price has no choice but to go to the pen early and often.

I'll mention on YouTube John Wayne - God Bless America with Greg Morris, Roscoe Lee Browne, Leslie Uggams, Ross Martin, Dick Smothers, Dan Rowan, Dick Martin, David Nelson, Ricky Nelson, Phyllis Diller, Dennis Weaver, Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker, Michael Landon, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Ann Margaret, Dean Martin, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Lucille Ball, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and John Wayne singing GOD BLESS AMERICA....not a bad 7th Inning stretch, and I highly recommend going to YouTube and watching them sing song....YouTube.....John Wayne- God Bless America. ....since you are on computer, watch this at least once, and Memorial Day a good time. .....GOD BLESS AMERICA......TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME....PLAY BALL, GO REDS. ....To our soldiers and veterans, rooting for you to round third and head home safe.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, it's 1-10 in the top of the 5th inning and Bonilla is definitely looking like a one start wonder.

Oh well.

I say they just leave Stephenson in for the rest of the game. Let him take his lumps and maybe, just maybe, he'll learn something from this game. This is about as low pressure situation as you can get, so if he can't pitch when the game is virtually over, he may never be good enough for the majors.
Reply/Quote
17-2.. yeahhhhhhh....it's time to cut bait with Stephenson. He's just not going to pan out in the big leagues. I had high hopes for him once upon a time, but he has never really shown anything above the AA level. 
Maybe with a different team he can put it all together, but not with the Reds.
Bonilla? Too early to tell still, but he's not big league material as of now. 
They just don't seem to be able to bring up quality starters anymore. 
Completely unrelated..It feels like it's going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights here in SC..and I have a feeling I'll be spending an unholy amount of time raking cut grass this summer. Probably ought to invest in a rear bagger for the riding mower..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Stephenson got optioned. Hopefully he can come up with a better repertoire than grooved fastballs.
Reply/Quote
I'm so glad The Reds do NOT play in the American League East. They would never win a game. I've been noticing that even in play-off seasons for Reds, they get clobbered by the AL East...So Reds have been thumped by Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays. The good news is those teams off the schedule. The Bad news is Tampa Bay Rays in June and Boston Red Sox in September.

So Reds go 4-4-1 in May and 7-8-2 on Season in series play....and considering all injuries and trades and low preseason hopes, Reds playing around .500 ball isn't bad. They get first day off since May-15th on Thursday. Atlanta Braves roll into Cincy this weekend and Reds have a better chance against them. Best thing for Reds is to get on the plane and get out of Toronto quick and fast after Wednesdays game.

Once again, so glad Cincinnati doesn't play in AL East, they would get beat to death each and every season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 11:09 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm so glad The Reds do NOT play in the American League East.  They would never win a game. I've been noticing that even in play-off seasons foe Reds, they get clobbered by the AL East...So Reds have been thumped by Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays.  The good news is those teams off the schedule.  The Bad news is Tampa Bay Rays in June and Boston Red Sox in September.

So Reds go 4-4-1 in May and 7-8-2 on Season in series play....and considering all injuries and trades and low preseason hopes, Reds playing around .500 ball isn't bad.  They get first day off since May-15th on Thursday.  Atlanta Braves roll into Cincy this weekend and Reds have a better chance against them. Best thing for Reds is to get on the plane and get out of Toronto quick and fast after Wednesdays game.  

Once again, so glad Cincinnati doesn't play in AL East, they would get beat to death each and every season.

I was hoping the 17-2 was just a bad game, but then I watched the next game as well, and you can tell they are a more solid ball club.  I will be the first to say I don't know much about baseball, but I enjoy the games.  I am hoping today they can win.  Take one game in Toronto will be good enough after seeing how good Toronto is at the moment.  I hope we can keep pace within the division and our pitching gets better down the stretch!
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2017, 09:07 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: I was hoping the 17-2 was just a bad game, but then I watched the next game as well, and you can tell they are a more solid ball club.  I will be the first to say I don't know much about baseball, but I enjoy the games.  I am hoping today they can win.  Take one game in Toronto will be good enough after seeing how good Toronto is at the moment.  I hope we can keep pace within the division and our pitching gets better down the stretch!

Well didnt win that one either. 
Reply/Quote
I like seeing Peraza running again. I'm killing it in the stolen bases category of my fantasy league. I have Hamilton and Peraza.
Reply/Quote
Time to bring up Winker.
Reply/Quote
Reds could use a win today....They've shown Braves are a team they match up with.....Reds are in need of a series win to stay on this playing around .500 ball as they wait on return of injured pitchers. ...Plus they are catching Braves with Freeman injured who is batting over .300 and a up there in home runs. Big loss for Braves. It's like when the Bengals lose to a team they could and should beat, those are the season breakers. Reds really could use a win today and win first series in June from a Braves team Reds beat Friday and lost in extra innings Saturday. ...GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Another day, another garbage start completely ruining a wonderful offensive performance.

I really hope we get some half decent starting pitching going sometime in the next 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2017, 05:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Another day, another garbage start completely ruining a wonderful offensive performance.

I really hope we get some half decent starting pitching going sometime in the next 5 years.
Garrett was pitching well for Reds and then they decided to avoid injuries later by sending him to minors on orders he didn't throw a pitch for 2 weeks....It seemed like a very strange move, but the company yes men Reds announcers tried to sell it.....So he was pitching pretty good and Reds benched him 2 weeks to avoid injury later in season as they tried to limit his innings.....So when they brought Garrett back he was rusty. Then he got injured. Now he is back from injury and rusty. ....Now the company stooge Reds announcers will just question why Garrett is not pitching well now.  THE LESSON IS :  Do not send a pitcher to the minors and shut him down for 2 weeks when he is pitching better than anybody on the team and healthy. 

My hope for Garrett is the Reds aren't ruining another good young pitcher.  I hope Garrett just back from injury and before that the 2 week shut down, I hope he gets back into pitching every 5th day again and gets back in the groove he was in before Reds messed with him.  I hope Garrett gets back to throwing strikes and challenging hitters as when he started season. He was 4 wins, 2 losses with a 4.25 era before Reds shut him down for 2 weeks to avoid injury.  Bringing him back, he was quickly on the 10 day DL......None of what the Reds did here makes sense, I don't care what store bought announcers say....I hope Reds aren't ruining yet another young pitcher and I hope he bounces back. 

Meanwhile Reds did lose a series against Braves that throws them off this .500 ball thing, but here is where messing with a good young pitcher came back to bite ownership in their assorted strange player moves.

The Reds have been trading for pitching and drafting pitching and trading for pitching and drafting pitching. Maybe, just maybe the Reds from A Ball on up have lousy pitching coaches that don't teach these pitchers one single thing. It would explain all the pitchers traded for or drafted struggling. If this is the case, no matter who Reds draft in next 5 years won't matter until they get good coaches from A ball up to Majors. We can ask what's wrong with all pitchers on Reds in minors and majors, OR we can ask what the heck is the problem with Price and all these other so called pitching coaches. Maybe the Dodgers system would have developed these pitchers better. Maybe a lot of teams systems would. One example is all the hype of getting Stephenson and how after time in minors he would dominate. We have heard this of other top pitcher draft picks. Has anybody ever considered the Reds don't teach these kids one new pitch or one darn thing in the minors to majors.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Scooter my daisy heads!

First Red to ever hit 4 home runs in a single game. 

Nine RBI's ain't too bad either.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote