Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
(07-21-2018, 11:35 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: DeSclafani got knocked around again tonight. That's 3 rough outings in his last 4. He definitely seems to still be recovering. Hopefully he starts the upward swing soon.

(07-22-2018, 02:58 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The all-star break, broke the team. Looking like the April Reds against the Pirates.

Harvey just lost a ton of trade value.

(07-22-2018, 02:59 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yep, the Harvey bubble burst.

At best, any Reds starter you wanna name right now is a three. Can one of them become a two ? maybe 

Harvey isn't even a two on any decent team
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It gets even worse. Looks like Harvey is the team’s number one trade priority and there were 10 scouts from other teams at the game to watch him implode.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24175115/trade-talk-hearing-dealing-matt-harvey-reds-priority
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 04:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It gets even worse. Looks like Harvey is the team’s number one trade priority and there were 10 scouts from other teams at the game to watch him implode.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24175115/trade-talk-hearing-dealing-matt-harvey-reds-priority

The asking price certainly just went down a bit..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reds just ruined the Cardinals night. I’m in Cardinals country and the tears are tasty.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 11:10 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Reds just ruined the Cardinals night. I’m in Cardinals country and the tears are tasty.

I was out and didn't get home until the 7th inning, heard there was a no-no going on by a pitcher in his first major league start and my first thought was, well the 2nd half isn't going to go like the last 3rd of the first half went.

I didn't really get to start watching until the 9th and when Gennett barely missed that HR I thought damn that was the chance ! Then Suarez knocked one into next week and I jumped outta my chair, I fell down.

It was a good night otherwise, lol.
Reply/Quote
Aaaaaand they’re getting no-hit again.
Reply/Quote
At least Homer didn't get knocked out to homer purgatory.. Perhaps he'll actually have a  good 2nd half. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Goodbye to Crockett, hello again to Peralta and Mella.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Winker is gone for season. I liked what I saw of him this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
How 'bout dat sports fans.. Mason Williams knocked out a 3 run homer for the Reds.. Not a horrible start as a replacement for Winker so far..  

Reply/Quote
Looks like Garrett will be missing in action awhile with a strained achillies.. Results of tests were negative so that's good news, but I have a hunch he'll be on the bench for a while.. 

Reply/Quote
Reds took 3 straight from division leader Phillies. Impressive.
I hope they get something for Harvey but word is Harvey wants to stay on team. Boras is his agent so it's not going to happen but lets hope they get something in return.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 05:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Reds took 3 straight from division leader Phillies.  Impressive.  
I hope they get something for Harvey but word is Harvey wants to stay on team.  Boras is his agent so it's not going to happen but lets hope they get something in return.

I'd like to see Harvey stay and them go get a true ace for next season.

But I'll be shocked if they don't deal Harvey
Reply/Quote
First trade in the books. Duvall sent to Atlanta for 3 prospects. Two pitchers and an OFer. Pretty excited about getting Wisler and Tucker, both are real close to big league ready and should have a shot at September call-ups and making the team next spring. All three were highly rated at one point, but haven’t really taken that next step. Hopefully the change of scenery will help.

Tucker might be called up immediately with the injury to Winker and now Duvall being traded.
Reply/Quote
The peanut gallery on Reds.com seems to think the Duval trade was the worst trade of all time, but nobody has ever accused the comments section of that site being filled with the best and brightest fans.. 
Fact of the matter is Duval was headed to arbitration and due for a huge salary increase next year along with his .205 batting average. 

Now there are those who think he was the future for the Reds in left field, but not with a 205 average. 
Somewhere along the way management has to balance what they think might happen in the future with what is actually happening right now. What's happening right now is Duval hitting 205 and in line for a huge raise. Nobody, not management, not fans and not even Duval himself can guarantee his batting average in the years to come. But don't tell that to the peanut gallery. They equate intentional walks with lack of effort from certain highly paid first basemen.. 

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:28 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: First trade in the books. Duvall sent to Atlanta for 3 prospects. Two pitchers and an OFer. Pretty excited about getting Wisler and Tucker, both are real close to big league ready and should have a shot at September call-ups and making the team next spring. All three were highly rated at one point, but haven’t really taken that next step. Hopefully the change of scenery will help.

Tucker might be called up immediately with the injury to Winker and now Duvall being traded.

The team seems to value the Sims acquisition more so than the other two. 

Quote:Sims, 24, was a first-round pick of the Braves in the 2012 MLB Draft. After he debuted last season in the big leagues, he has posted a 5.96 ERA in 20 games, including 10 starts for Atlanta as well as six relief appearances this season. There has been more success at Triple-A for Sims, who is 4-3 with a 2.84 ERA in 15 games (14 starts) at that level.
If he can bring his AAA success to the big team it'll be huge.  

Reply/Quote
This Duvall trade is a perfect example of what I try to tell people about "trading for prospects". Sometimes it is just spinning the wheels.

We traded a nice young (27) starting pitcher in Mike Leake (3.87 ERA in 5 years with Reds) for Duvall and another prospect. Now we still need starting pitching and we are trading Duvall for prospects.

At some point you have to keep enough of your talented players together long enough to make a run.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This Duvall trade is a perfect example of what I try to tell people about "trading for prospects".  Sometimes it is just spinning the wheels.

We traded a nice young (27) starting pitcher in Mike Leake (3.87 ERA in 5 years with Reds) for Duvall and another prospect.  Now we still need starting pitching and we are trading Duvall for prospects.

At some point you have to keep enough of your talented players together long enough to make a run.

I have no problem with dealing away Duval and his 205 average . He was about to go to arbitration and a huge salary increase regardless of anything. Suppose they had signed him to a big contact and mega bucks and he still only hit 205 or lower? Folks would have been screaming for the heads of management .
It wasn't AS IF any team was going to trade their 20 game winning ace for a  205 batting average left fielder even if he hit 30 home runs a season and could throw out every base runner at home plate every time.. 
The Braves gave up 3 fairly quality prospects for his 205 average.  For Duval's sake I hope he hits
.455 the rest of his major league career, but I doubt that's gonna happen..
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This Duvall trade is a perfect example of what I try to tell people about "trading for prospects". Sometimes it is just spinning the wheels.

We traded a nice young (27) starting pitcher in Mike Leake (3.87 ERA in 5 years with Reds) for Duvall and another prospect. Now we still need starting pitching and we are trading Duvall for prospects.

I think that’s the goal of this trade. All three prospects are big league ready or close to. Williams has been saying the team’s goal is to contend next season. If that’s the case then we should start seeing what you recommend.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 01:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think that’s the goal of this trade. All three prospects are big league ready or close to. Williams has been saying the team’s goal is to contend next season. If that’s the case then we should start seeing what you recommend.

There was a farmer who had a dog and BINGO was his name-o..  (Sing along if you know the words ) lol

Reply/Quote