Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
(07-31-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This Duvall trade is a perfect example of what I try to tell people about "trading for prospects".  Sometimes it is just spinning the wheels.

We traded a nice young (27) starting pitcher in Mike Leake (3.87 ERA in 5 years with Reds) for Duvall and another prospect.  Now we still need starting pitching and we are trading Duvall for prospects.

At some point you have to keep enough of your talented players together long enough to make a run.

I agree with what you're saying 100%. The Reds have been spinning their wheels for 3 years or more now.

But having said that I don't mind the Duvall trade to much. He didn't figure to be a regular position player next season anyways and maybe, just maybe one of those pitchers can contribute.

Make no mistake if this team is to be at least competitive next season they have to have better starting pitching !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 01:17 PM)grampahol Wrote: I have no problem with dealing away Duval and his 205 average . 

Just to clarify my position.  I have no problem with trading Duval.  I was talking more about people saying we should trade Gennette, Votto, Suarez, or any other guy we need to win next year.

I am amazed Harvey is not gone.  
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just to clarify my position.  I have no problem with trading Duval.  I was talking more about people saying we should trade Gennette, Votto, Suarez, or any other guy we need to win next year.

I am amazed Harvey is not gone.  

Agree, 

I want them to keep the entire infield, and Schebler, Winker, and B. Hamilton
Reply/Quote
It's starting to look like old Homer is getting back to his old self pitching 2 straight darn good games.  I'm very happy for him and will admit that I didn't expect him back in a Reds uniform when he went down to AAA..  NOTHING would be better for the Reds organization than having Homer come back especially next season stronger than ever. He can be a real ace if this holds up. For both the Reds and Homer I certainly hope it does.  
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2018, 01:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: It's starting to look like old Homer is getting back to his old self pitching 2 straight darn good games.  I'm very happy for him and will admit that I didn't expect him back in a Reds uniform when he went down to AAA..  NOTHING would be better for the Reds organization than having Homer come back especially next season stronger than ever. He can be a real ace if this holds up. For both the Reds and Homer I certainly hope it does.  
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! 

Oh wouldn't it be great if he returned to his 2012 self ? I'd drive to Cincy and personally thank him. But I still highly doubt it !

He's the Reds Tyler Eifert
Reply/Quote
I am still trying to figure out the Duval trade. None of those players from Atlanta are prospects. Sims is the most promising but they could have gotten Acuna instead.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Is there a chance Harvey stays a red and give the team a discount?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Hello,

It's not surprising that no one bit on Harvey because he has a reputation of being a little "off." As a Bengals' fan and a (cringe) Mets' fan I was interested in how Matt Harvey would do in Cincinnati. It seems like he has done mostly okay. The Mets' organization is currently sick and clueless and cursed. Matt was probably laughing his head off when he heard about the Nationals beating them 25-4 on Wednesday.

So, he likes Cincinnati and wants to stay? Maybe he discovered Skyline and Graeter's.

Jolene
Reply/Quote
Just out of curiosity has anyone paid any attention to the pile of injuries ("Roko") the Reds traded to get Harvey ?  I have a real hunch he's not hitting .400 with 20 home runs since the trade.

Hmm..just had a looksee.. 8 hr, 25 rbi and 33 so with a 228 ba..  Too bad the Reds couldn't have shipped Bailey with him. I was sort of hoping Bailey might actually find some consistency after those 2 decent starts, but I have a hunch that just ainta gonna happen..
Instead the Reds are forced to pretend that paying a gazillion dollars for what amounts to a washed up minor league pitcher is a great deal .

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Shocker, Stephenson still sucks...
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2018, 06:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh wouldn't it be great if he returned to his 2012 self ? I'd drive to Cincy and personally thank him. But I still highly doubt it !

He's the Reds Tyler Eifert

This is from May 30, but still pretty accurate

Homer Bailey is probably the worst starting pitcher in the majors. He currently leads the national league in runs allowed and home runs allowed. Over the last 4 years he is 9-20 with a 6.49 ERA. He has not had an ERA under 6 since 2015. This is not just a slump. He is finished.
Reply/Quote
I do not see the Reds improving much on the pitcher end. Green is injured, Bailey is just going through the motions, the young pitchers have promise but are far away from being effective. Injuries to Senzel, Winker and Schebler doesn't help the team. I just don't see the plan to improve the pitching.

I would keep Gennett and move him to left field. It would be one way to get Senzel on the field next year. I guess they could rotate Hamilton and Schebler in Center. I do not see the Red's competing anytime soon. They will probably get a new manager and players will have to adjust. This nightmare seemingly never ends.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 05:31 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I do not see the Reds improving much on the pitcher end. Green is injured, Bailey is just going through the motions, the young pitchers have promise but are far away from being effective. Injuries to Senzel, Winker and Schebler doesn't help the team. I just don't see the plan to improve the pitching.

I would keep Gennett and move him to left field. It would be one way to get Senzel on the field next year. I guess they could rotate Hamilton and Schebler in Center. I do not see the Red's competing anytime soon. They will probably get a new manager and players will have to adjust. This nightmare seemingly never ends.

There’s a couple more guys that might be up next season that give me hope for 2019, Taylor Trammell and Tony Santillan.

Rotation: Castillo, Romano, Mahle, Santillan, Bailey/Disco/Garrett/Whoever

Outfield: Winker, Hamilton/Trammel, Schebler/Gennett

Infield: Votto, Senzel/Gennett, Peraza, Suarez/Senzel
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There’s a couple more guys that might be up next season that give me hope for 2019, Taylor Trammell and Tony Santillan.

Rotation: Castillo, Romano, Mahle, Santillan, Bailey/Disco/Garrett/Whoever

Outfield: Winker, Hamilton/Trammel, Schebler/Gennett

Infield: Votto, Senzel/Gennett, Peraza, Suarez/Senzel

I saw Trammell in person.   The kid could displace Hamilton in Center and hits well with speed at lower competition.  I still believe the Ace is Castillo and Mahle is #2.  One thing for sure, they will hit the ball and score.  Senzel, Suarez, Votto, and Peraza are all great defensively.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 01:37 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I saw Trammell in person.   The kid could displace Hamilton in Center and hits well with speed at lower competition.  I still believe the Ace is Castillo and Mahle is #2.  One thing for sure, they will hit the ball and score.  Senzel, Suarez, Votto, and Peraza are all great defensively.  

Castillo and Mahle have yet to prove they can pitch with any consistency. Castillo looked great last year, but that was last year and major league hitters get the scouting reports on how they pitch.. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 01:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: Castillo and Mahle have yet to prove they can pitch with any consistency. Castillo looked great last year, but that was last year and major league hitters get the scouting reports on how they pitch.. 

I think both Castillo and Mahle are fatigued.  But I just don't understand why Castillo has performed poorly this year compare to last year.  Maybe scouts have enough data now for hitters.  I don't know.  I heard that Castillo's ball placement has been poor.  I am not thrilled with the current pitching coach.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 09:24 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think both Castillo and Mahle are fatigued.  But I just don't understand why Castillo has performed poorly this year compare to last year.  Maybe scouts have enough data now for hitters.  I don't know.  I heard that Castillo's ball placement has been poor.  I am not thrilled with the current pitching coach.   
Tough to buy the fatigue story when they're often chased out by the 4th inning. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I remember when starting pitchers were pretty much required to go 6-7 innings minimum and when they got chased by the 6th they were bums.. Why, when we were kids ......

Reply/Quote
This team looks like it's checked out. Votto does not look like the other-worldly player he used to (consecutive 90+ losing seasons will do that, or he's still injured and playing thru it). We're 1-4 against one of the few teams that have a worst record then we do. Sad times.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Yea, I mean what do you expect them to do? The manager is still running Homer Bailey out there.

What would you be thinking if you were a player?
Reply/Quote
Well, Bailey is finally getting taken back out of the rotation, so yay. Also, Ervin has to be a lock for the 25 man next season.
Reply/Quote