Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Watch List
It's the lull period before football really gets underway, but that hasn't stopped me from already researching prospects.
Obviously, players will rise and fall (some dramatically) between now and the draft, but never hurts to start researching earlier.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a watch list of some perhaps under-the-radar players so that everyone on the boards can start learning more about them and tracking them throughout the 2018 CFB season and leading up to the draft.

I'll start:

A player I'm really intrigued about is Arizona St RB Kalen Ballage.

He's a bigger RB (6'2", listed at 230 lbs but played last year in the upper teens due to getting mono), but he's got speed to boot.
He scored eight TDs last year against Texas Tech, which broke a school and PAC-12 record, and also tied the NCAA record.
He did this with 15 touches from scrimmage.

In 2015, he amassed 653 rush yards on 125 touches with 4 TDs.
In 2016, he had 536 yards on 126 touches, but had 14 rushing TDs (eight in one game mentioned above). He grew exponentially as a receiver, adding 44 receptions for 469 receiving yards and another TD.
The reason he has so few touches is because he's split time with Demario Richard, forming a very strong running attack at ASU.

I've watched two videos (links below) and came away impressed with his vision, patience, speed, and unwillingness to go down on first contact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54xVcK8dAJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRMos7zxOL4

Ballage is someone I could see replacing Hill and backing up Mixon/Bernard. He has the size to survive at RB in the NFL and he can catch out of the backfield. He also doesn't have a lot of tread since he's been in a committee at ASU.

Right now, he's being mentioned as a mid-late round pick, but I could see him possibly boosting his stock a round or two if he gets more touches and/or thrives in pre-draft workouts.

What are some under-the-radar prospects on your watch list this coming season?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Armani Watts.

We saw safeties go early this year, and deservedly so. Watts has been someone I've watched because of other prospects, but he's flashed and made me pay more attention to him. He's a ball hawk with great instincts and I think could take it to the next level this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a top 10 pick.

Another defensive back I like is Jaire Alexander.

Dude was a turnover machine and always got his hand on the ball. A dangerous returner as well. I think Alexander doesn't get enough recognition because he plays on Louisville, but he will get his dues. Certainly a sleeper IMO.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Stephen Richardson DT Minnesota and Dremont Jones could be stars next draft season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Cole from Michigan and Clapp from LSU, both centers.

I think it's time to finally address our center position and I think Clapp could be great when he gets more time at center and I like Cole because I always say that the Big 10 is just college's version of the AFC North in terms of style of play and conditions.
Reply/Quote
I guess he is under the radar because this guy is a QB. And the school he plays for is under the radar also. But I am liking some of the tape I see of this guy.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018jallen.php

Scroll down to the bottom and check out this guy's arm on video.
Reply/Quote
Josie Jewell- LB Iowa Hawkeyes.

Akrum Wadley- RB Iowa Hawkeyes
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 09:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Cole from Michigan and Clapp from LSU, both centers.  

I think it's time to finally address our center position and I think Clapp could be great when he gets more time at center and I like Cole because I always say that the Big 10 is just college's version of the AFC North in terms of style of play and conditions.

I don't think the Bengals address the center position early unless RG is solidified. However, I think Clapp could make sense because he's a great guard that's making the switch to C. So he'll have that versatility and could be an ideal choice.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 11:22 PM)J24 Wrote: Stephen Richardson DT Minnesota and Dremont Jones could be stars next draft season.

Richardson makes sense for the Bengals, especially if Hardison doesn't do something this year.
Seems like Dre'mont Jones is more hype than production at this point, but if he blossoms like you (and some others) expect, he could enter the draft. I'd be cautious of just a single year of production though. I think most people will have their eyes on Hubbard and Bosa when it comes to Ohio St DL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 04:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think the Bengals address the center position early unless RG is solidified. However, I think Clapp could make sense because he's a great guard that's making the switch to C. So he'll have that versatility and could be an ideal choice.

He's not "proven" yet, but I think RG is pretty solidified with Smith moving there and seeming excited to have the chance to resurrect his career and excel.  

He's only on a one-year deal, but he'll be 31 by the 2018 season and I highly doubt that any team is going to pay him top dollar to prevent us from resigning him at a reasonable price.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 07:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's not "proven" yet, but I think RG is pretty solidified with Smith moving there and seeming excited to have the chance to resurrect his career and excel.  

He's only on a one-year deal, but he'll be 31 by the 2018 season and I highly doubt that any team is going to pay him top dollar to prevent us from resigning him at a reasonable price.

That's a lot of optimism with only Hobson hype to support that optimism. But if Andre Smith can pan out at RG this late in his career, the Bengals might be able to get a few years out of him. Regardless, I'd be looking for a C with some versatility just in case.

If Ogbuehi or Fisher doesn't show (vast) improvement this year, the Bengals could prioritize OT over C, as Fisher would be entering a contract year in 2018 and Ogbuehi would be playing to earn his 5th year option. From what I've looked at so far for the upcoming 2018 draft, the 2018 draft class at OT looks to be better than 2017. Could be a good year to snag an OT. Plus Winston could be upgraded, so at least a mid-round OT to be a backup.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 12:04 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I guess he is under the radar because this guy is a QB.  And the school he plays for is under the radar also.  But I am liking some of the tape I see of this guy.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018jallen.php

Scroll down to the bottom and check out this guy's arm on video.

It's hard to be considered under the radar when you are one of the favorites to go #1 overall next year.
Reply/Quote
Gonna list 2 buckeyes and i know we went defensive end And got 2 great talents first rounders in Harris and Lawson, but would love to have a elite 8 man rotation so I'm going with Lewis and Hubbard. They're not super under the radar but they float a little under.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 09:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Cole from Michigan and Clapp from LSU, both centers.  

Good point, Brad.  If the tackles work out  Pray, I could see them going after a Center as it would allow them leverage with the prospect of re-signing Bodine.  I am curious to see what they have in store for Dielman as well.  
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 07:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's not "proven" yet, but I think RG is pretty solidified with Smith moving there and seeming excited to have the chance to resurrect his career and excel.  

Plus, they really seem high on Redmond and Westerman, both listed as RGs.  I think Smith is just going to try and resurrect his career and will only be here the one year.  He seems to have the make up of a guy that needs just one-year deals.  

Redmond apparently has improved more than any lineman on the team, especially in terms of his strength.  They said what they had for him at UCLA was a joke and he took to the strength and conditioning program like a fish to water.  
Reply/Quote
I was really impressed by Clayton Thorson the QB from NW last year. Nobody's talking about him but I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being one of the top QB's in the draft next year.
Reply/Quote
Mike McGlinchley and Connor Williams. They're both considered the the top OTs right now. If Ced and/or Fisher don't work out, then we need to grab an OL.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 01:00 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Josie Jewell- LB Iowa Hawkeyes.

Akrum Wadley- RB Iowa Hawkeyes

How do you see Wadley fitting into the Bengals scheme? He seems really light at just 191 lbs. I would question his survivability at the position in the NFL.

From what I've read on Jewell, he's a strong run defender that needs to improve in pass coverage to boost his stock. Do you feel that's a fair assessment?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2017, 03:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How do you see Wadley fitting into the Bengals scheme? He seems really light at just 191 lbs. I would question his survivability at the position in the NFL.

From what I've read on Jewell, he's a strong run defender that needs to improve in pass coverage to boost his stock. Do you feel that's a fair assessment?

Bottom line, the Bengals need more Hawkeyes on their team. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Kevin Tolliver II, CB, LSU.

Saw plenty of action as a Freshman and Sophomore, despite a very talented secondary. He is a bigger (6'2" 195 lbs) CB that Marv covets and will be coming out as a Junior. This guy could rise to something ridiculous like a top 5 pick, but I am hoping he falters slightly and ends up available at pick #32 for the Bengals Wink
Reply/Quote
Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville.  Do you notice I think the Bengals will be going CB?  

I doubt an instant starter at OT will be available at pick #32, but the draft will be full of CBs and it seems to have a strong DT class, which I don't see the Bengals drafting in Rd 1.  Ditto QB and WR.

Could 2018 be the year the Bengals take a safety with their first round pick?  We never thought they would take a guard a few years back...
Reply/Quote