Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019 Draft needs to hit 3 HRs( like John Dorsey did)
I can see why the Browns blame Hue for their downfalls but their best win and tie came when he was the coach. The also should have beat the Saints if not for the most Browns like melt down happening.

Every team they have beaten under Gregg Williams has been under .500
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 04:29 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I can see why the Browns blame Hue for their downfalls but their best win and tie came when he was the coach. The also should have beat the Saints if not for the most Browns like melt down happening.

Every team they have beaten under Gregg Williams has been under .500

Oh no.  Letting facts get in the way of the how great the Browns are narrative.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 11:44 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm most certain that Mixon would have produced much more with the Browns O-line.

Fixing the the O-Line should be top priority here.

They just can't have drafted players and FAs that play like Hart, Fisher(non productive), Redmond, Ced. O, and even Glenn for that matter.

If they do.   We're right back here in the same discussion next year. 

That's a whole lot of failure and Price could be added to that if he doesn't improve.

So as much as we need a stud LBer we need this line fixed even more.

Otherwise we're wasting Mixon, Boyd, Green, and yes even Dalton.

I'd say we need a stud DT even more than a LBer at this point.

The war is in the trenches might sound cliche, but that's what is killing us!

To me, this more than anything!  Not only does having a good O line make Mixon a better runner, imagine Andy having all the time in the world to throw.  Plus instead of the usual 3 and outs, we have the offense on the field more, which rests our D, and in turn makes them better too.  I think fixing the O line is paramount to the Bengals being a 10 win team next year without fixing anything else. (not counting coaches only players)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 11:44 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm most certain that Mixon would have produced much more with the Browns O-line.

Fixing the the O-Line should be top priority here.

They just can't have drafted players and FAs that play like Hart, Fisher(non productive), Redmond, Ced. O, and even Glenn for that matter.

If they do.   We're right back here in the same discussion next year. 

That's a whole lot of failure and Price could be added to that if he doesn't improve.

So as much as we need a stud LBer we need this line fixed even more.

Otherwise we're wasting Mixon, Boyd, Green, and yes even Dalton.

I'd say we need a stud DT even more than a LBer at this point.

The war is in the trenches might sound cliche, but that's what is killing us!

This.

No more sexy toys until the beef in the trenches is improved.  I wouldn't draft a DT, but make that my #1 FA priority.  I don't want to rely on Glasgow to be 100% next year off injury, and Billings looks like he is winded after two plays.  We need a solid veteran at that NT position. 

I think we still have Brown coming back at MLB next year, but they need  more pieces than just Vigil and Evans around him.  Vigil is solid but a real game changer is needed.  I would move Burfict in to the coaches room.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 11:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.

No more sexy toys until the beef in the trenches is improved.  I wouldn't draft a DT, but make that my #1 FA priority.  I don't want to rely on Glasgow to be 100% next year off injury, and Billings looks like he is winded after two plays.  We need a solid veteran at that NT position. 

I think we still have Brown coming back at MLB next year, but they need  more pieces than just Vigil and Evans around him.  Vigil is solid but a real game changer is needed.  I would move Burfict in to the coaches room.  

We could go along way with the fixing of the O-line this draft. Draft 2 of the 4 O-linemen from Wisconsin coming out, Dietzen in Rd2 and Deiter in Rd3... Right side of the line would be solid! If you didn't see the Badgers crush Miami yesterday, you missed out on how the O-line is suppose to play! Get either White or Lawrence in Rd 1...
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 12:26 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: To me, this more than anything!  Not only does having a good O line make Mixon a better runner, imagine Andy having all the time in the world to throw.  Plus instead of the usual 3 and outs, we have the offense on the field more, which rests our D, and in turn makes them better too.  I think fixing the O line is paramount to the Bengals being a 10 win team next year without fixing anything else. (not counting coaches only players)

I agree.  Especially if the offense can stay on the field and control TOP more effectively.

That was actually the achilles heel that was detrimental to the defense the previous season.

Just as not getting pressure on the opposing QB and allowing 3rd down conversions, our team is having the reverse effect with low amount of yards and TOP by the offense.

Again I'll stand by my statement.  Keep cracking at improving both lines.  They've struck out on both and ignoring it won't make it go away.

Throw in at least LBer in the first couple of rounds but please grab a DT/NT and RT/LT if they fall in your lap early.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 01:16 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We need a couple guys for sure.

1.) Cody Ford RT Oklahoma
2.) Germain Pratt LB
3.) Caleb Wilson TE

Good names. Need to build in the trenches, add a decent LB or two and another playmaker.

Coaching needs to improve big time though.

(12-25-2018, 02:23 AM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: Mayfield and Chubb have greatly benefited from playing behind a top 5, possibly top 2 oline. Who knew creating a strong line can help rookies look great? Put them behind our line and we might say they look "promising." As well as a front office that realizes they screwed up selecting former first round pick Corey Coleman and replaced him through free agency with Jarvis Landry. And they fired a coach who wasn't getting the job done.

Maybe it's a sad day when you get jealous of the Browns front office. Anyways, have a Merry Christmas!

Yeah, the Stains were eventually going to hit on some of them early round picks.

(12-25-2018, 03:35 AM)samhain Wrote: If they draft 2 plug-and-play offensive linemen and sign a decent FA linebacker, things will trend up.  The Bengals have all the offensive skill players that a team could hope for.  John Ross has a knack for the red zone.  Hopefully he'll take a year 3 leap like Boyd.  He hasn't proven to be great, but he hasn't been totally incompetent, either.  

Get 2 young, tough linemen and fix the problem that's plagued this team for 3 seasons.  

Also, Cleveland worked FA with Landry as well.  Gotta play the offseason game in all phases.

Gotta keep saying that with decent coaches we are not as far away as some claim.

But if we still have Marv and all these terrible D coaches it won't matter.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 08:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good names. Need to build in the trenches, add a decent LB or two and another playmaker.

Coaching needs to improve big time though.

Yeah, the Stains were eventually going to hit on some of them early round picks.

Gotta keep saying that with decent coaches we are not as far away as some claim.

But if we still have Marv and all these terrible D coaches it won't matter.

Well...IF we can get a coach that comes in and instills winning practice habits, routines, and gets these guys believing in themselves...some of our guys like Hubbard and Lawson could take major steps forward.

I've got to say, I don't know if a new coach can make a guy like Ross better. Maybe they run better plays for him and that helps? I think Ross has issues beyond coaching, but the coaches don't help him.

Also, I think we need atleast 2 new offensive lineman that are good.

And we need atleast 1 dominant LB...but more than likely we need 2 more.

We can fill one of these needs with our 1st Round draft pick. Maybe another with our 2nd Round pick.

But, without good coaching...it won't matter. And Marvin isn't that guy. Maybe 10 years ago he was. Not now. Hue isn't the guy. Lazor isn't the guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 09:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...IF we can get a coach that comes in and instills winning practice habits, routines, and gets these guys believing in themselves...some of our guys like Hubbard and Lawson could take major steps forward.

I've got to say, I don't know if a new coach can make a guy like Ross better. Maybe they run better plays for him and that helps? I think Ross has issues beyond coaching, but the coaches don't help him.

We can fill one of these needs with our 1st Round draft pick. Maybe another with our 2nd Round pick.

But, without good coaching...it won't matter. And Marvin isn't that guy. Maybe 10 years ago he was. Not now. Hue isn't the guy. Lazor isn't the guy.

I don't think they could get anything for him but if they could sell his target to TD ratio to someone... I wouldn't oppose packaging him for a player or to move a pick up in the draft.

I know some people might think it's too early to want to move Ross but if it gets us closer to a player we absolutely need I'd be for it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 11:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.

I concur. I'm going Tackle with our 1st pick.

2nd Round, LB or Guard.

Interesting observation on Billings. There are some big powerlifting guys who have so much muscle that they have no stamina. I wonder if he's that type? Or I wonder if he is just bad at conditioning?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 12:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I concur. I'm going Tackle with our 1st pick.

2nd Round, LB or Guard.

Interesting observation on Billings. There are some big powerlifting guys who have so much muscle that they have no stamina. I wonder if he's that type? Or I wonder if he is just bad at conditioning?

I'm betting the latter.  He looks to carry a lot of bad weight around his mid section.  I understand they need him to anchor, but the man just never seemed to be in playing shape.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 08:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm betting the latter.  He looks to carry a lot of bad weight around his mid section.  I understand they need him to anchor, but the man just never seemed to be in playing shape.  

Yep. Just watch...in his contract year he'll be in shape and perform.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Just watch...in his contract year he'll be in shape and perform.

The Bengals certainly do not have a patent on this phenomenon.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 09:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...IF we can get a coach that comes in and instills winning practice habits, routines, and gets these guys believing in themselves...some of our guys like Hubbard and Lawson could take major steps forward.

I agree with pretty much everything you say here Pistons but i think they have totally used Ross the wrong
way and he still has 6 TD's. I think an innovative OC could help him grow into that player i thought he could
be, an Antonio Brown 2.0 type. Cause you are right, Lazor isn't that guy. Let alone speaking of the others.

Hue might be that guy as an OC but he definately isn't as an HC.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with pretty much everything you say here Pistons but i think they have totally used Ross the wrong
way and he still has 6 TD's. I think an innovative OC could help him grow into that player i thought he could
be, an Antonio Brown 2.0 type. Cause you are right, Lazor isn't that guy. Let alone speaking of the others.

Ross has 7 TD’s actually. Could easily have double digits had some better throws been made on a few plays too.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 06:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ross has 7 TD’s actually. Could easily have double digits had some better throws been made on a few plays too.

Didn't know Ross got another one against the Stains i didn't even look at the highlights or anything of that
game i was so embarrassed to lose to those assholes. He gets into the End Zone even while being used the
wrong way so often is still the point.

And yes, i remember a couple of throws by Dalton in one of the more important games of the year where
he underthrew Ross and he could of had two more you are correct Nicomo. He just needs to gain some
consistency with whoever is passing him the ball and he could be a very good to great #2 Receiver.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with pretty much everything you say here Pistons but i think they have totally used Ross the wrong

The main issue I see with Ross's usage is they try to run him deep like AJ Green and the DB's are generally taller, bigger or there is a safety.

His speed and quickness would better be used on quick slants or short throws then let him break tackles. Most of his TD's were 3 yards and under. He's great getting open in that scenario...which should actually be harder because of less space.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Just watch...in his contract year he'll be in shape and perform.

At this point for Billings, I would take even just one year of significant contribution, and then go back and reassess my selection process.  You need to draft guys that love football and will never just be a one-year wonder.  And I honestly doubt Billings will even do that.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: At this point for Billings, I would take even just one year of significant contribution, and then go back and reassess my selection process.  You need to draft guys that love football and will never just be a one-year wonder.  And I honestly doubt Billings will even do that.

That's a very good point.

The guys we plug in next to him, seem to atleast be somewhat capable. They're not going to get 8 sacks a year, but they are capable players.
Reply/Quote