Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Draft Class Contract Renegotiations
Today opens the window for renegotiation of the 2020 draft class contracts. That of course includes JoeyB and Tee Higgins.

Joe is in a QB class that includes Justin Herbert, Tua, and Jalen Hurts. Tua, I think may not get his extension until after next season. He showed some real growth in the early part of the season but regressed in the 2nd half. And he has a bad injury history.

I fully expect Joe to end up the highest-paid QB in the league with a long-term contract but where that number lands is anyone's guess. The Bengals will have to come up with guaranteed money way above their comfort level. But that is the reality of contracts for players like Joe. The fun question is which of these QBs extends their contract first and are they setting the ceiling or the floor

Tee will be a really really tough negotiation. This is where the Bengals have to set their priorities for other contracts (such as Ja'Marr's). Tee has a hard-nosed agent who has no problem playing hardball. And we know the reality is there are teams out there who will give him #1 WR money. Don't be surprised if he is a free agent after the 2023 season. Even the franchise tag may be too rich for the Bengals blood

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 01:03 PM)pally Wrote: Today opens the window for renegotiation of the 2020 draft class contracts.  That of course includes JoeyB and Tee Higgins.

Joe is in a QB class that includes Justin Herbert, Tua, and Jalen Hurts.  Tua, I think may not get his extension until after next season. He showed some real growth in the early part of the season but regressed in the 2nd half. And he has a bad injury history.

I fully expect Joe to end up the highest-paid QB in the league with a long-term contract but where that number lands is anyone's guess.  The Bengals will have to come up with guaranteed money way above their comfort level.  But that is the reality of contracts for players like Joe.  The fun question is which of these QBs extends their contract first and are they setting the ceiling or the floor

Tee will be a really really tough negotiation. This is where the Bengals have to set their priorities for other contracts (such as Ja'Marr's).  Tee has a hard-nosed agent who has no problem playing hardball.  And we know the reality is there are teams out there who will give him #1 WR money.  Don't be surprised if he is a free agent after the 2023 season.  Even the franchise tag may be too rich for the Bengals blood

I won't be surprised if Joe's extension isn't announced until July-ish, just prior to training camp. I am going to guess Burrow gets a six year, $288MM deal with around $155MM guaranteed. The yearly value of the deal is slightly more than guys like Mahomes/Allen but his guarantees are slightly below Allen, percentage wise. 

I am really not optimistic about Tee's long-term outlook here. I've been thinking that 2023 will be his final season in stripes. 
Reply/Quote
The challenge is after the Watson deal, these guys will want huge guaranteed money.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 01:03 PM)pally Wrote: Today opens the window for renegotiation of the 2020 draft class contracts.  That of course includes JoeyB and Tee Higgins.

Joe is in a QB class that includes Justin Herbert, Tua, and Jalen Hurts.  Tua, I think may not get his extension until after next season. He showed some real growth in the early part of the season but regressed in the 2nd half. And he has a bad injury history.

I fully expect Joe to end up the highest-paid QB in the league with a long-term contract but where that number lands is anyone's guess.  The Bengals will have to come up with guaranteed money way above their comfort level.  But that is the reality of contracts for players like Joe.  The fun question is which of these QBs extends their contract first and are they setting the ceiling or the floor

Tee will be a really really tough negotiation. This is where the Bengals have to set their priorities for other contracts (such as Ja'Marr's).  Tee has a hard-nosed agent who has no problem playing hardball.  And we know the reality is there are teams out there who will give him #1 WR money.  Don't be surprised if he is a free agent after the 2023 season.  Even the franchise tag may be too rich for the Bengals blood

I think the Bengals would be wise to give Joe a 8 to 10 year contract. They need to lock him up for his career ASAP and by doing a long term contract, they can pay a big bonus upfront (towards guaranteed money) and pro rate it for cap purposes over the life of the deal.

Everything at this point for Joe and Tee are pure speculation. I am hopeful Joe is reasonable. He is not the best QB in the league so asking to be paid like the best in the league is not being reasonable. I would hope he is smart enough to know the Bengals or any team needs to pay to place a great roster around him so asking for too much in the end hurts his case to win championships.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 01:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The challenge is after the Watson deal, these guys will want huge guaranteed money.

I have a hunch Lamar Jackson has yet to sign either because he wants guaranteed money. Just because one team does something really dumb does not mean the rest of the league will follow.

Watson was horrible in year 1 of his contract, every team has to be looking at that and potential injury as a basis for guaranteed money. Lamar is a running QB, been hurt now 2 years in a row. Murray got a big deal, hurt also.

All of that factors into guarantees in the future.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think Burrow will get 8 year deal with about 200 mil guaranteed. He will be highest paid QB in the division for sure, maybe entire league. I think they sign Higgins but not sure they should given Chase and Reader contracts. I am ambivalent on spending 20-25 mil per for Higs..
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 01:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the Bengals would be wise to give Joe a 8 to 10 year contract. They need to lock him up for his career ASAP and by doing a long term contract, they can pay a big bonus upfront (towards guaranteed money) and pro rate it for cap purposes over the life of the deal.

Everything at this point for Joe and Tee are pure speculation. I am hopeful Joe is reasonable. He is not the best QB in the league so asking to be paid like the best in the league is not being reasonable. I would hope he is smart enough to know the Bengals or any team needs to pay to place a great roster around him so asking for too much in the end hurts his case to win championships.

Well I can’t bold it but not being the best hasn’t stopped any halfway okay QB from wanting top dollar. Like Murray and soon to be Jackson. Shit look what Cousins got at the time.

I’m hoping but not expecting Joe may take less than top dollar to secure the talent around him.
Reply/Quote
Joey B is going to win the Super Bowl and be in line for a $500 million extension. Please, please, please let the first part be the truth.
Reply/Quote
Joe has tremendous leverage, but the Bengals have always taken care of their QB's.

Joe's career so far..

68.2 percent lifetime passer
100.4 QB rating
280 ypg

Record wise...after starting his 1st ten games 2-7-1, he's gone 22-10 as a starter
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't surprise me to see Joe and Tee both take slighy less to stay here with their buddies. After a certain amount of money, it's just numbers. There is a lot to be said with playing football with your close friends and coaches you like. Happiness is not guaranteed elsewhere, just ask Michael Johnson.
Reply/Quote
"I know the guys that we have in the locker room. Like I said, it's going to change year-to-year but I'd like to think that a lot of guys in there will be around for a long time. We've won a lot of football, played a lot of football together. We've got great players in there."
Joe Burrow after Ravens win

This gives me hope he sees his future right here in Cincinnati and in Ohio.

Reply/Quote
The sooner we sign Burrow, the better. The pricetag for elite QBs is only going to go up as Hurts, Herbert and Jackson (and maybe Tua) begin signing long term.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 02:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: "I know the guys that we have in the locker room. Like I said, it's going to change year-to-year but I'd like to think that a lot of guys in there will be around for a long time. We've won a lot of football, played a lot of football together. We've got great players in there."
Joe Burrow after Ravens win

This gives me hope he sees his future right here in Cincinnati and in Ohio.

Burrow is must pay.  Whatever it takes to keep him here, we have to do. Period. 

Now, we can hope he realizes that milking us for every cent he can get weakens the roster around him.  We hope his desire to win and keep most of the team together may lead him to take a bit less.  We hope he is flexible on the length & structure to help us minimize that cap hit & maximize the roster strength around him. And we hope as a hometown (ish) kid, this contributes both to him wanting to stay and being reasonable about the terms. 

I think Chase is also must pay. Everyone else is iffy. And realize it is a two-way street. Who stays and goes isn't just a Bengals decision. How the player approaches things is also a factor. If we know some guys won't be back and some guys are more reasonable and others play hardball, the decision makes itself.

Finally, especially for Burrow, please realize this is an EXTENSION. Even if it is announced this summer, it does not replace the existing contract. Thus, the cap hit won't happen in year 4. Or in year 5 mist likely.  All the other QB extensions have the cap bump in year 6, after the 5th year option year. So all of us anatuer capologists, don't bake that in until 2025. 2026 for Chase. Highins is another story, 2nd round pick, no 5th year option. 2024 for Tee. 
Reply/Quote
"Effective today, members of the 2020 NFL Draft class are eligible for extensions. A deal can be agreed to at any point now.

Going to be a lucrative offseason for some superstars from that class."

His extension is going to be SUPER interesting. Does he want all guaranteed money? Is he happy doing a traditional type of deal? Does he give the Bengals some kind of a discount/contract structure to make sure the team stays competitive during his tenure?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Come what may, I just hope Burrow understands the long-term ramifications of one contract taking up too much cap.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: "Effective today, members of the 2020 NFL Draft class are eligible for extensions. A deal can be agreed to at any point now.

His extension is going to be SUPER interesting. Does he want all guaranteed money? Is he happy doing a traditional type of deal? Does he give the Bengals some kind of a discount/contract structure to make sure the team stays competitive during his tenure?

I kinda believe it will be a little of all of that combined.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: I kinda believe it will be a little of all of that combined.

I think you are right. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
When a very good QB gets signed to a veteran contract, it takes up a significant percentage of the cap.
That will mean the team will have to figure out cheaper options for (many) other positions once that happens.
DL is one that comes to mind given the entire starting 4 are on good veteran contracts.
WR is another where you typically don't have more than one high-priced veteran WR with a costly QB contract.
Will have to start having some pretty quick contributions from draft picks if Burrow lands a big contract.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: "Effective today, members of the 2020 NFL Draft class are eligible for extensions. A deal can be agreed to at any point now.

Percentage contract I hope.  For the length of the contract he will eat up percentage of the salary cap.  Not sure about guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
He’s going to set the market. May not be all guaranteed, but it will be probably 60-70% guaranteed. Look at his comment, “the window is my career”, then he quickly realizes he needs to say something about the coaches and other players. He knows he’s the truth and can win a chip with any roster.
Reply/Quote