Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Election
(09-21-2020, 02:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's the thing.  I agree that protesting outside a polling station isn't cool.  It's not something I would do.  I also think protesting outside someone's private residence is far more intimidating and out of line than protesting a legal distance away from a polling location.  So it's the naked hypocrisy of lambasting the former while being absolutely fine with the latter that bothers me.

(09-21-2020, 03:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They don't bother me either as long as they don't obstruct traffic.  I have a real issue with protesting outside someone's private residence and Bel and I have gone back and forth on that issue quite a lot.  I realize it's legal but it's completely effed up to do.  Same with harassing people in public.  I think Ted Cruz is an awful person, but what happened to him at that restaurant was not cool at all.

I get your position, but I see the two (protesting outside a polling place and protesting at a private residence) as a false equivalency. A public official with constituents outside their residence protesting is a different thing than protesters at a polling place potentially preventing people from voting.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get your position, but I see the two (protesting outside a polling place and protesting at a private residence) as a false equivalency. A public official with constituents outside their residence protesting is a different thing than protesters at a polling place potentially preventing people from voting.

I agree, but I don't think the difference is as significant as you're stating.  Also, does it change anything if the person whose home is the target of a protest is not a public official?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I agree, but I don't think the difference is as significant as you're stating.  Also, does it change anything if the person whose home is the target of a protest is not a public official?

It does for me. The First Amendment is most importantly about the people speaking to their government and with that in mind, the spirit of the principle is strongest with protests of public officials. I am less inclined to tolerate protests of individuals that are not public officials.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It does for me. The First Amendment is most importantly about the people speaking to their government and with that in mind, the spirit of the principle is strongest with protests of public officials. I am less inclined to tolerate protests of individuals that are not public officials.

Then we're closer on this than I thought.  I just really dislike the idea of anyone being harrassed in their home.  If their home is a public building such as Gracie Mansion or the White House then I have zero issue with that, but someone's private residence is a red line for me.
Reply/Quote
In my lifetime I don't ever remember someone so afraid of losing that he would go this far.

And base it all on a conspiracy that has never even been close to being proven.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 01:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: In my lifetime I don't ever remember someone so afraid of losing that he would go this far.

And base it all on a conspiracy that has never even been close to being proven.

He DoEsN't MeAn It LiKe ThAt 
Reply/Quote
Listened to this on my way to work, this morning, and thought it was an interesting piece.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/24/915602106/outside-the-focus-of-major-parties-black-pittsburghers-vow-to-get-out-the-vote

This part stuck out to me:

Quote:"We talk about how Black women, Black voters, Latino voters will decide it. No. White people will decide the election," he says. "If he wins again, it's not because we weren't engaged. It's not because we didn't come out. It's because white people came out and ignored the four years of evidence of Donald Trump being an unrepentant racist and a misogynist and a terrible businessman."

Reply/Quote
Will you commit to making sure that there is a peaceful transferal of power after the election?

President Donald Trump: Well, we’re going to have to see what happens. You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots. And the ballots are a disaster. [...] We want to have… Get rid of the ballots and we’ll have a very peaceful… There won’t be a transfer frankly, there’ll be a continuation. The ballots are out of control. You know it, and you know who knows it better than anybody else? The Democrats know it better than anybody else.

--- Jeez that is some scary stuff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:31 AM)hollodero Wrote: Will you commit to making sure that there is a peaceful transferal of power after the election?

President Donald Trump: Well, we’re going to have to see what happens. You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots. And the ballots are a disaster. [...] We want to have… Get rid of the ballots and we’ll have a very peaceful… There won’t be a transfer frankly, there’ll be a continuation. The ballots are out of control. You know it, and you know who knows it better than anybody else? The Democrats know it better than anybody else.

We're not supposed to take him seriously. Or is it literally? Who knows anymore?

Can I just say that reading this really makes one worry: https://www.britannica.com/topic/fascism/Common-characteristics-of-fascist-movements

Reply/Quote
The most un-American elected official of this country I have ever heard.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Listened to this on my way to work, this morning, and thought it was an interesting piece.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/24/915602106/outside-the-focus-of-major-parties-black-pittsburghers-vow-to-get-out-the-vote

This part stuck out to me:

Saying that there are only 4 years of evidence is being really generous to him. LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:31 AM)hollodero Wrote: Will you commit to making sure that there is a peaceful transferal of power after the election?

When the writing is on the wall but people are too busy bending over backwards to read it.

Sheesh.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:48 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Saying that there are only 4 years of evidence is being really generous to him. LOL

I know. I like to point out that the Nixon administration found him guilty of racist actions. That's a long history of it.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:48 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Saying that there are only 4 years of evidence is being really generous to him. LOL

Amen.  

I've disliked Trump for lots of reasons long before he got into politics (officially).  In fact I have some scripts from the early 90's when I worked in radio where he was the punch line to jokes.   Smirk

It's also why I said all along he would regret this ego trip that got his the oval office.  Crooks like Trump need to stay where they can control the narrative and the investigations.  Hard to do with the weight of the Federal government on you.  Well, until you have an AG that works for you and protests you at all costs.  I think that might be a something that still ends up biting him sooner or later.
Reply/Quote

Let me guess, this is just another example of Trump joking until it turns out he's not? Funny how that keeps happening.

The comment alone is grounds for impeachment and removal.  The assertion being made here is objectively un-American, and voting for him at this point is, quite frankly, in support of that. A US President actively and openly seeking ways to circumvent and undermine an election held by the American people, and he's met with thunderous applause from his supporters. But sure, it's the liberals who are a threat to our democracy. The actual threat is right there in plain sight. But he's a racist, sexist white guy who "speaks his mind," so it's totes OK.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 09:47 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Let me guess, this is just another example of Trump joking until it turns out he's not?  Funny how that keeps happening.

The comment alone is grounds for impeachment and removal.  The assertion being made here is objectively un-American, and voting for him at this point is, quite frankly, in support of that.  A US President actively and openly seeking ways to circumvent and undermine an election held by the American people, and he's met with thunderous applause from his supporters.  But sure, it's the liberals who are a threat to our democracy.  The actual threat is right there in plain sight.  But he's a racist, sexist white guy who "speaks his mind," so it's totes OK.

What will said in his defense by his supporters is "Of course he has to wait and see!  There is all this FRAUD from the mail in ballots (the Democrat ones...not the Republican ones)!!  What kind of leader would just AGREE to leave office if he was cheated?!?!"

Because it is never what his said it was what he "meant" and what he "meant" was anything that isn't as bad as what he actually said.
Reply/Quote
Weird that he's the only politician afforded that luxury. Wonder why?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 10:24 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Weird that he's the only politician afforded that luxury.  Wonder why?

Cult members don't tend to question the cult leader. That's how you make a good cult.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 10:24 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Weird that he's the only politician afforded that luxury.  Wonder why?

Biden: "If you don't vote for me, you ain't black."

Biden supporters: "What he meant was ..."

Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 11:29 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Biden: "If you don't vote for me, you ain't black."

Biden supporters: "What he meant was ..."

Whatever

Defending a clumsy comment is not akin to explaining away repeated blatant authoritarian sayings.
Reply/Quote