Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Election
(09-29-2020, 05:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: All good.

Some people just take the assault on our democracy seriously and wish others would do the same. The highest elected official in our country shouldn't be clown out there trying to entertain people and should have a little more self awareness than a middle school bully.

I do take it seriously.  I just see the assault coming from liberal/progressive policies and the huge media bias.  There are always two perspectives.

Liberals were fine when the SCOTUS tilted left, now all of a sudden the SCOTUS potentially leaning right is going to be an assault on our democracy?  

I'm simply not a fan of liberalism/progressivism.  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 11:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Check them for what?

Their names on the ballot. 
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 11:34 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I do take it seriously.  I just see the assault coming from liberal/progressive policies and the huge media bias.  There are always two perspectives.

There most certainly are. For example, I was curious enough to watch a whole hour of Judge Jeanine recently. I have never seen such an unrestricted orgy of love towards a politician, except maybe on other shows on FOX news, the presidential propaganda channel. "Huge media bias" certainly goes both ways, but hardly anything is quite as extreme as what happens there. CNN or even MSNBC display a certain bias for sure, but it is not nearly the same.

When it comes to assaulting democracy, I have yet to see anything from the left that even comes close to what Trump and the GOP recently does to undermine the whole election process. Including 100% unfounded claims of voter fraud by the millions, trying to kneecap the post office so mail-in ballots can not be counted, floating plans to disregard actual results and let republican governors tell the electors who to choose instead (I don't know if that is serious, but the floating of this idea alone is alarming), a refusal of Trump to guarantee a peaceful transfer of power or him claiming that if he loses, the whole election is rigged. This is not a complete list.

(10-06-2020, 11:34 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Liberals were fine when the SCOTUS tilted left, now all of a sudden the SCOTUS potentially leaning right is going to be an assault on our democracy?

Yeah, this imho is not about the right leaning SCOTUS per se, but rather about denying Obama a nomination 11 months before an election out of principle and then pushing one through within a few weeks of an election, potentially just reducing or skipping the necessary vetting process and all and blatantly disregarding the own principle.

(10-06-2020, 11:34 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I'm simply not a fan of liberalism/progressivism.  

That's fair enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 11:34 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I'm simply not a fan of liberalism/progressivism.  

Liberty and progress are a real drag. 
Reply/Quote
Well congrats to Biden and Harris. According the CNN's latest poll no way Trump can win. I will still vote Trump, but I am in process of removing all of my money from stock market and placing in a savings account. No interest, but I will avoid the market crash that happens and it will happen quickly.

May God bless the US and I hope my fellow Republicans don't whine and disrespect Biden. There is no reason to do so, just go on and live your life as normal, God is good and Trump likely gets 3rd Supreme Court Justice approved prior to leaving office so huge win for our country.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well congrats to Biden and Harris. According the CNN's latest poll no way Trump can win. I will still vote Trump, but I am in process of removing all of my money from stock market and placing in a savings account. No interest, but I will avoid the market crash that happens and it will happen quickly.

May God bless the US and I hope my fellow Republicans don't whine and disrespect Biden. There is no reason to do so, just go on and live your life as normal, God is good and Trump likely gets 3rd Supreme Court Justice approved prior to leaving office so huge win for our country.

Do you think acting like the country will be in grave danger counts as disrespecting Biden?  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well congrats to Biden and Harris. According the CNN's latest poll no way Trump can win. I will still vote Trump, but I am in process of removing all of my money from stock market and placing in a savings account. No interest, but I will avoid the market crash that happens and it will happen quickly.

It's hard to say.  I went safer in March do to Covid and I'm in a holding pattern.  I really want to get a bit more aggressive but I'm waiting.  The market did fine under Obama.  If there is a concern, Biden wants to raise corporate rates to 28 percent.  The net effect will mean less profit and higher P/E's which could create a correction, err....selling.  There is a rational thought that the market could re-price.  If I were young I wouldn't worry about it.  I'm retired.  It's more a concern to me because of age.  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:03 PM)hollodero Wrote: There most certainly are. For example, I was curious enough to watch a whole hour of Judge Jeanine recently. I have never seen such an unrestricted orgy of love towards a politician, except maybe on other shows on FOX news, the presidential propaganda channel. "Huge media bias" certainly goes both ways, but hardly anything is quite as extreme as what happens there. CNN or even MSNBC display a certain bias for sure, but it is not nearly the same.

When it comes to assaulting democracy, I have yet to see anything from the left that even comes close to what Trump and the GOP recently does to undermine the whole election process. Including 100% unfounded claims of voter fraud by the millions, trying to kneecap the post office so mail-in ballots can not be counted, floating plans to disregard actual results and let republican governors tell the electors who to choose instead (I don't know if that is serious, but the floating of this idea alone is alarming), a refusal of Trump to guarantee a peaceful transfer of power or him claiming that if he loses, the whole election is rigged. This is not a complete list.

Yeah, this imho is not about the right leaning SCOTUS per se, but rather about denying Obama a nomination 11 months before an election out of principle and then pushing one through within a few weeks of an election, potentially just reducing or skipping the necessary vetting process and all and blatantly disregarding the own principle.

That's fair enough.

We will have to agree to disagree on some of this.

I saw Biden in the last 2 town halls not being challenged whatsoever compared to Trump.  Zero tough questions for Biden.  Free pass from the media.  How many times does Biden get a pass by the media when he insults the black community?

I see court packing, free everything, higher taxes and incentivizing illegal immigration (to name a few) as a threat to our democracy.

I watch CNN and MSNBC also and I see just as much love toward the left, Biden and Harris.  And I also see seething hatred for Trump.  Al Sharpton for goodness sake!  lol

I think the Dems Garland argument is weak.  Was it crappy?  Yes.  Was it constitutional?  Yes.  Politics can be brutal and I don't think for a nano second that Pelosi and Schumer would not have done the same thing then or now.

We just have two different perspectives and I respect that.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:10 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: We will have to agree to disagree on some of this.

I saw Biden in the last 2 town halls not being challenged whatsoever compared to Trump.  Zero tough questions for Biden.  Free pass from the media.  How many times does Biden get a pass by the media when he insults the black community?

I see court packing, free everything, higher taxes and incentivizing illegal immigration (to name a few) as a threat to our democracy.

I watch CNN and MSNBC also and I see just as much love toward the left, Biden and Harris.  And I also see seething hatred for Trump.  Al Sharpton for goodness sake!  lol

I think the Dems Garland argument is weak.  Was it crappy?  Yes.  Was it constitutional?  Yes.  Politics can be brutal and I don't think for a nano second that Pelosi and Schumer would not have done the same thing then or now.

We just have two different perspectives and I respect that.

I've seen political ads that make it look like Biden can't answer a simple question, so the notion is out there. 
Reply/Quote
OOF.

https://twitter.com/DavidPepper/status/1313501402963021826
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Liberty and progress are a real drag. 

Liberalism isn't liberty and progressivism isn't progress.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:17 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Liberalism isn't liberty and progressivism isn't progress.

And conservatism doesn't conserve and Whig party isn't bald. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And conservatism doesn't conserve and Whig party isn't bald. 

Lol, nice!  But I didn't claim either of those two things.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:32 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Lol, nice!  But I didn't claim either of those two things.

Im just mostly bummed out that Americans scream about the awesomeness of freedom then beg the government to crack down on their fellow citizens. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you think acting like the country will be in grave danger counts as disrespecting Biden?  

????????? I have no idea where you are going with this question.

This is what I do know, Democrats disrespected the POTUS prior to being in office one day. Why? Why did they hate him more than they loved our country?

I will root for Biden to be a great President because he is, Americans all win. I won't go all in to impeach him or go after him with fake accusations because I wanted Trump to win. In other words, I will be an adult and pray he keeps America great while making some improvements along the way.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im just mostly bummed out that Americans scream about the awesomeness of freedom then beg the government to crack down on their fellow citizens. 

I'm bummed that we are so divided as a Country.  You can't even be patriotic and love your Country anymore without being accused of some stupid ism.

I thought this was interesting.  There is no slant in my post of this.  Just that I found it interesting.

http://across.co.nz/democracy.html
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ????????? I have no idea where you are going with this question.

This is what I do know, Democrats disrespected the POTUS prior to being in office one day. Why? Why did they hate him more than they loved our country?

I will root for Biden to be a great President because he is, Americans all win. I won't go all in to impeach him or go after him with fake accusations because I wanted Trump to win. In other words, I will be an adult and pray he keeps America great while making some improvements along the way.

Ypur posting style is interesting as you stress that you will be fair and reasonable in between some of the most one sided and unsubstantiated hot takes I've ever heard. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ????????? I have no idea where you are going with this question.

This 1000%
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:10 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I see court packing, free everything, higher taxes and incentivizing illegal immigration (to name a few) as a threat to our democracy.

Biden hasn't come out in support of court packing, he wouldn't raise taxes on anyone making under $400k (a plan that analysts say will result in greater economic growth than Trump's), he has pushed for addressing overstayed visas (the bigger contributor to undocumented immigration and something his record with Obama suggest he would do), and he isn't pushing for single-payer healthcare. 

I think your issue is that you do not actually know Biden's positions.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:10 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I saw Biden in the last 2 town halls not being challenged whatsoever compared to Trump.  Zero tough questions for Biden.  Free pass from the media.  How many times does Biden get a pass by the media when he insults the black community?

I don't disagree on that, I tried to make that clear in advance. These stations can reasanably be seen as being biased against Trump and/or in the Biden/Harris camp (some shows on CNN, most on MSNBC), and it shows. But it doesn't even come close to what the FOX shows do in terms of being partisan and not objective. Which is why I'm not sure why you say "the media". FOX et al are part of the media, very influential and very very Trump friendly.

Also, when it comes to insulting the black community, I generally leave it to the people actually being possibly insulted to evaluate that. Most blacks seem to feel not that severely insulted by Biden, so I'd rather not be insulted on their behalf.

(10-06-2020, 01:10 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I think the Dems Garland argument is weak.  Was it crappy?  Yes.  Was it constitutional?  Yes.  Politics can be brutal and I don't think for a nano second that Pelosi and Schumer would not have done the same thing then or now.

Maybe so, maybe not. But you made it appear as if the Dems just solely took issue with a right leaning SCOTUS. I'd argue there's more to it than that and hence your depiction was somewhat incomplete.

(10-06-2020, 01:10 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I see court packing, free everything, higher taxes and incentivizing illegal immigration (to name a few) as a threat to our democracy.

Just curious, what do you mean by "court packing"? If it means what I'd assume, I'd say it's rather the conservative side doing that.
Higher taxes are not a threat to democracy; "free everything" is an obvious exaggeration of Dem policies; and I'm not so sure whether they "incentivize" illegal immigration. I feel quite often conservatives throw these labels around policies they do not approve of, as in "it's either our way or it is a fatally dangerous disaster", which I consider exaggerated and a mind trick to scare people.

In reality, no recent Dem president was a threat to democracy and Biden will not be the one to start being one.
Reply/Quote