Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Election
(11-06-2020, 10:41 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well sure.  A plurality it certainly legit, but it is a minority.  

I knew you lived there, but were you born in Steeler country?  If so, that's just insane.

I'm from outside of Pittsburgh, it's a long story but hey I just wanted to be different.  YOu can tell I'm odd.

At any rate, saying a city democrat just needs to move to the country to be a republican is like saying Bengals fans just need to put on a Big Ben jersey and wave a terrible towel and they'll be cured.  It's possible...but I'd hardly bank on it. Once you wave that terrible towel and you're surrounded by black and gold you'll be all like "Big Ben FOREVER, Joe Burrow NEVER!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 10:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Every democratic transplant I know has changed to a Republican because they get more of the view of the Republican side.

I see this a lot around here.  People hang out with or work with people like them and then they try to claim that their friends represent EVERYONE.

This anecdotal evidence proves nothing other than you hang out with people who think the way you do.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 10:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I see this a lot around here.  People hang out with or work with people like them and then they try to claim that their friends represent EVERYONE.

This anecdotal evidence proves nothing other than you hang out with people who think the way you do.

They also watch the programming, read articles, and view social media posts they agree with. The issue is some people don't realize when you curate your world to match your views you have created a world that isn't actually reality, but simply your reality. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 10:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: I posted this in the "minority rule" thread but it is appropriate here also.

I live in a pretty sparse area on a dirt road with woods around us and if you took a square mile around us you'd find a pretty amazing GOLD WAVE going on here since my wife and I both voted for Jorgensen.  Maybe we do know best.  The woods behind our house give us extra voting power.
Reply/Quote
..and like that PA just went blue.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 10:29 AM)Brownshoe Wrote:  What's good for the city isnt always good for the country and vice versa.

This makes no sense because some of the lowest population states like Delaware and Rhode Island are an overwhelming majority of urban cities and some of the larger population state like North Carolina are more rural.
Reply/Quote
It's still early but Decision Desk HQ has declared it for Biden with 273 after calling PA.

https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/

So now we play the waiting game?
Reply/Quote
Decisión Desk HQ has called the race. Essentially, there is no pathway for Trump to take Pennsylvania. Biden is going to be the 46th President of the United States.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:06 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Decisión Desk HQ has called the race. Essentially, there is no pathway for Trump to take Pennsylvania. Biden is going to be the 46th President of the United States.

I stand by my vote, but I also am admitting to my liberal friends and family in PA who accepted me sticking by my LN vote that I owe them for bailing us out.

EDIT - I know it ain't over til it's over and all, but lordy what a tense process and even if the election is sewn up things are going to get crazy.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This makes no sense because some of the lowest population states like Delaware and Rhode Island are an overwhelming majority of urban cities and some of the larger population state like North Carolina are more rural.

What you said makes no sense. A small state that's mostly city vs a big state that's mostly country doesn't make my argument any less.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 10:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I see this a lot around here.  People hang out with or work with people like them and then they try to claim that their friends represent EVERYONE.

Cool. I didn't say everyone.
Reply/Quote
This is relevant as it's what the Supreme Court chose to pass on pre-election but kept the right to revisit. Now it looks like Trump is stuck with his "fraud" strategy that has lost 3 or 4 times this week already.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 10:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: They would all have one vote. Cities don't vote, people do and their location on a map doesn't change that. Again, your representation of your area is your legislative representative, your presidential vote shouldn't be artificially inflated because of where you live.

It's funny though when Puerto Rico gets statehood eventually and the electoral college math doesn't work out well for the Republican party anymore I bet we will start hearing a lot more about other voting methods.

I thought about this while out riding in the country today. I saw miles of fields getting harvested and thought; that field doesn't get a vote, while the man that works it to put food on my table only gets one, but by the same token 27,000 people live in one square mile in NYC.

Is that "fair"?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's still early but Decision Desk HQ has declared it for Biden with 273 after calling PA.

https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/

So now we play the waiting game?

Cool.  Let's move on.  He can file lawsuits until he's blue in the face for all I care.  Just keep the train moving forward.  Then we have the GA runoffs to look forward to.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:36 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Cool.  Let's move on.  He can file lawsuits until he's blue in the face for all I care.  Just keep the train moving forward.  Then we have the GA runoffs to look forward to.

No pun intended.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought about this while out riding in the country today. I saw miles of fields getting harvested and thought; that field doesn't get a vote, while the man that works it to put food on my table only gets one, but by the same token 27,000 people live in one square mile in NYC.

Is that "fair"?

Land. Does. Not. Vote.

Size of property does not equate worth of a human being.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:36 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Cool.  Let's move on.  He can file lawsuits until he's blue in the face for all I care.  Just keep the train moving forward.  Then we have the GA runoffs to look forward to.

Well, there is always the possibility of Trump going nuclear on the situation and/or spending the next 4 years campaigning for TRUMP 2024 and then campaigning for his son and so on and so forth.  I sort of hoping Trump goes out in a blast of "I didn't want to win, you idiots don't deserve me" sour grapes that hinders any future political endeavors but you can never predict what he will do and how many people will salute it.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought about this while out riding in the country today. I saw miles of fields getting harvested and thought; that field doesn't get a vote, while the man that works it to put food on my table only gets one, but by the same token 27,000 people live in one square mile in NYC.

Is that "fair"?

Yes...because they all got one vote. Why should that guy in the field have any more say than his one vote? Why do we need to artificially prop up his values because of where he lives through the weighting of his vote?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:40 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Land. Does. Not. Vote.

Land. Doesn't. Work. Itself.

But I'll take that as you saying that folks living in a high rise in NYC are 27,000 times more important than the folks that feed America.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2020, 11:40 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Land. Does. Not. Vote.

(11-06-2020, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yes...because they all got one vote. Why should that guy in the field have any more say than his one vote? Why do we need to artificially prop up his values because of where he lives through the weighting of his vote?

Exactly.

Also the guy working that field probably doesn't even own the land.  He might not live on the land.  He might be an illegal alien!  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote