Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Election Results Thread
(11-09-2022, 04:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fetterman might recover from what ails him, but I think someone like Oz needs to be visited by multiple ghosts before he has a change of heart.

Just blows my mind that in a State of 13 million people that's what it comes down to. The whole system is wild.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 05:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I hope so but me and my friend have been discussing it since last night.

I can’t wait to see the hell fire on Facebook if it becomes illegal.

So, the amendment was to say that the state constitution provided no right for abortion. This means that if it had passed, abortion would be illegal by the state constitution and would require an amendment to overturn. This amendment, however, failed. Abortion is still illegal in Kentucky, though. It is going to be challenged in court at some point but I am not sure when. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 05:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just blows my mind that in a State of 13 million people that's what it comes down to. The whole system is wild.

Well, Fetterman is the lieutenant governor for the overall rather popular Tom Wolf and he gained a lot of coverage and popularity pushing back against the whole "PA was stolen" narrative.  He had a stroke after he declared himself a senate candidate, so I can see why they were staying the course with him.

The GOP could have nominated the type of candidate this state usually elects to the senate, but nope...gotta let Trump gum up the works with a celebrity with no experience and a tenuous link to the state to begin with.  It was the GOP's seat to lose and they lost it. Add in that the dems here can bring in Biden and Obama who both won PA in order to get some faux support for their guys and Trump lost PA and is on the outs with every living republican who came before him as well as his own VP and....well...you ride or die with Trump I guess.

I mean, is Fetterman great?  Nah, and you can see how his numbers trailed behind Shapiro's to prove that.  But Oz went on TV and very articulately laid out plans and policy that people in PA didn't want.  The GOP treated PA like Arkansas for some reason and it didn't go their way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 04:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Anytime I thought Ohio had some bad choices in the election, I realize PA had a carpetbagger talk show snakeoil doctor going against a recent stroke victim.

I think that proves that people in PA just vote on emotion and are out of touch with reality (like 95% of Steelers fans, ironically) because dude repeated himself saying the same thing three or four times in a row in the debate.

He’s clearly unfit to hold any type of public office.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 05:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I hope so but me and my friend have been discussing it since last night.

I can’t wait to see the hell fire on Facebook if it becomes illegal.

It’s basically just taking the courts out of it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 05:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think that proves that people in PA just vote on emotion and are out of touch with reality (like 95% of Steelers fans, ironically) because dude repeated himself saying the same thing three or four times in a row in the debate.

Again, their alternative was a carpetbagging talk show snakeoil doctor. Should have put out even a mediocre half-decent candidate if they wanted to win. That honestly was probably all it would have taken.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 05:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think that proves that people in PA just vote on emotion and are out of touch with reality (like 95% of Steelers fans, ironically) because dude repeated himself saying the same thing three or four times in a row in the debate.

You can thank Trump and his two hand-picked candidates for Fetterman's win.  Out of touch is the GOP thinking they should run two Trump lackeys who are running on election denial and unpopular right-wing policies in a state that Trump lost.

Total botch job by the GOP here.

(11-09-2022, 05:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Again, their alternative was a carpetbagging talk show snakeoil doctor. Should have put out even a mediocre half-decent candidate if they wanted to win. That honestly was probably all it would have taken.

Yep, it's the same smugness that made the GOP think they could push for unpopular abortion bans and somehow avoid political blowback for it.  As I've said, this should be a real "look in the mirror" moment for the GOP.  David McCormick probably wins this seat, but the party that apparently doesn't let emotion get the best of them decided to go with a TV doctor from a different state rather than the kind of experienced GOP candidate who has proven successful in PA.

Also, a lot of Oz's support came from red areas of that state that are full of Steeler fans while a lot of Fetterman's support came from areas of the state that trend towards the Eagles or Giants etc. Fetterman's margin of victory in Steeler country was much slimmer than his margin in eastern PA. Actually, you could probably argue Oz won the Steeler fans vote and Fetterman won the Philly fans, the Penn State fans, and the miscellaneous DC to NJ style fans.
Reply/Quote
I'm grateful for the lack of a red wave. I'm a little apprehensive about the outcome.

The GOP will now be ultra-motivated to distance itself from Trump. If they really want to, they could just get out of the way and let the legal issues he's dealing with run their course. The base may even finally come to this conclusion with a ready-made heir like DeSantis in line.

I sincerely hope this doesn't embolden Biden for another run. He's not overly popular even in his own party. A non freaskhow candidate would have a clear path to the presidency of he's the opposition and the economy doesn't find it's way.

It's gotta sting badly for the far right. The crazy finally caught up to them. Their energized, frothing base keeps taking ass-whoopings from Mr. Magoo. In this economy with a president that as unpopular as Biden, the GOP should have walked into control relatively casually and with sizable numbers.

My take is that even in a crap economy with a general national fog of despair, a lot of Americans still don't want authoritarianism and conspiracy theories determining our future. If the Republicans ran on fixing the economy and nothing else, they'd have won. If Trump left gracefully and let reasonable GOP leaders take the reigns, they'd be celebrating right now.

It's time to move on from the weird populist batshittery that was Trumpism and get back to hating each other for normal issues rather than made up bullshit.
Reply/Quote
As I've said before, I feel like the main thing that prevents DeSantis being president from 2024-2032 is Trump's refusal to let someone else win for the GOP and insisting on running as a 3rd party or otherwise crapping in the political punchbowl.  Trump is like a psycho ex...it ain't over til he says it's over.

That would open the door for god knows who to win on the democrat side, so hopefully Biden does the opposite of Trump and graciously passes the baton to someone else.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 05:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You can thank Trump and his two hand-picked candidates for Fetterman's win.  Out of touch is the GOP thinking they should run two Trump lackeys who are running on election denial and unpopular right-wing policies in a state that Trump lost.

Total botch job by the GOP here.

Yep, it's the same smugness that made the GOP think they could push for unpopular abortion bans and somehow avoid political blowback for it.  As I've said, this should be a real "look in the mirror" moment for the GOP.  David McCormick probably wins this seat, but the party that apparently doesn't let emotion get the best of them decided to go with a TV doctor from a different state rather than the kind of experienced GOP candidate who has proven successful in PA.

Also, a lot of Oz's support came from red areas of that state that are full of Steeler fans while a lot of Fetterman's support came from areas of the state that trend towards the Eagles or Giants etc.  Fetterman's margin of victory in Steeler country was much slimmer than his margin in eastern PA.  Actually, you could probably argue Oz won the Steeler fans vote and Fetterman won the Philly fans, the Penn State fans, and the miscellaneous DC to NJ style fans.

But Fetterman did better in rural counties than Biden did in 2020.  He worked the entire state, esp in the primary.  He knew he would get smoked but in tight races picking up 1% extra here and there adds up to real vote totals

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 06:43 PM)pally Wrote: But Fetterman did better in rural counties than Biden did in 2020.  He worked the entire state, esp in the primary.  He knew he would get smoked but in tight races picking up 1% extra here and there adds up to real vote totals

I don't think Fetterman is a total dog of a candidate, but I wasn't terribly confident he could pull things off post-stroke, that's all.  The stroke and the overall pro-GOP climate seemed a bit insurmountable, but he pulled it off.

As for the Steeler fan thing, I forgot Fetterman and Shapiro did have Franco Harris shilling for them. But still, the margins from the Philly area was where they really made their hay.
Reply/Quote
With 75% of the votes in, it's official . . . Alaska is all over the board. The 55% Independent voters really showed their flexibility in this election.

Governor
Conservatives
52% - Dunleavy
20.1% - Walker (former GOP Gov running as an Independent)
4.6% - Charlie Pierce

76.7% - GOP
23.1% - Les Gara - Democrat

Senate
Conservatives
44.4% - Tshibaka
42.7% - Murkowski
2.9% - Kelley

90% - GOP
9.5% - Chesbro - Democrat

House
Conservatives
26.6% - Palin
24.3% - Begich
1.7% - Chris Bye - Libertarian

52.6% - GOP
47.1% - Peltola - Democrat

Still 25% of the vote to go but after 2nd choice voting, Peltola and Murkowski look to be the favorites to head to Washington. Tshibaka would need all of the remaining voters 2nd choice and almost half of the Democrats, who almost assuredly all voted Murkowski 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 03:31 PM)pally Wrote: There was a large upswing in young people voting and they went overwhelmingly Democratic.  This group is often underrepresented in polling

Get young people mad and they will act.  Roe did it.  Also, young people tend to see all people as equal which doesn't sit well with the republican platform, assuming they currently have one. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 08:30 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: With 75% of the votes in, it's official . . . Alaska is all over the board. The 55% Independent voters really showed their flexibility in this election.

Governor
Conservatives
52% - Dunleavy
20.1% - Walker (former GOP Gov running as an Independent)
4.6% - Charlie Pierce

76.7% - GOP
23.1% - Les Gara - Democrat

Senate
Conservatives
44.4% - Tshibaka
42.7% - Murkowski
2.9% - Kelley

90% - GOP
9.5% - Chesbro - Democrat

House
Conservatives
26.6% - Palin
24.3% - Begich
1.7% - Chris Bye - Libertarian

52.6% - GOP
47.1% - Peltola - Democrat

Still 25% of the vote to go but after 2nd choice voting, Peltola and Murkowski look to be the favorites to head to Washington. Tshibaka would need all of the remaining voters 2nd choice and almost half of the Democrats, who almost assuredly all voted Murkowski 2nd.

I love the idea of ranked choice voting.  THIS is how you bring back moderates to Congress.  They can't run solely on a base constituency. They have to campaign to pick up 2nd choice votes 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 05:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just blows my mind that in a State of 13 million people that's what it comes down to. The whole system is wild.

13 million plus a guy who just moved over from Jersey.  13,000,001. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 06:16 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm grateful for the lack of a red wave.  I'm a little apprehensive about the outcome.  

The GOP will now be ultra-motivated to distance itself from Trump.  If they really want to, they could just get out of the way and let the legal issues he's dealing with run their course.  The base may even finally come to this conclusion with a ready-made heir like DeSantis in line.  

I sincerely hope this doesn't embolden Biden for another run.  He's not overly popular even in his own party.  A non freaskhow candidate would have a clear path to the presidency of he's the opposition and the economy doesn't find it's way.  

It's gotta sting badly for the far right.  The crazy finally caught up to them.  Their energized, frothing base keeps taking ass-whoopings from Mr. Magoo.  In this economy with a president that as unpopular as Biden, the GOP should have walked into control relatively casually and with sizable numbers.  

My take is that even in a crap economy with a general national fog of despair, a lot of Americans still don't want authoritarianism and conspiracy theories determining our future.  If the Republicans ran on fixing the economy and nothing else, they'd have won.  If Trump left gracefully and let reasonable GOP leaders take the reigns, they'd be celebrating right now.  

It's time to move on from the weird populist batshittery that was Trumpism and get back to hating each other for normal issues rather than made up bullshit.

ThumbsUp  good points.

To the last bolded--

But Trump didn't. And he won't start now. 

Outside Florida, only one conclusion for MAGA world here--DeSanctimonius went RINO.  
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 04:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That seemed inevitable.  If dems can win the NV and AZ seats as they are projected it'll keep that race from being the deciding factor.  The idea of Warnock/Walker going another month and having that much gravity would be hard to bear. 

Yeah. The Libertarian will be excluded.

The drama is where those votes will go. 

Did people vote lib because they didn't want to vote either Dem or Repub?
So maybe they won't vote in the run off at all? That favors Warnock.

Or are they really Republicans when push comes to shove?

I'm thinking they're not worried about control of the Senate, or they'd
already have voted for Walker.
Reply/Quote
Just watched 5 mins of Hannity for the firs time in ?10 Yrs…. Can you imagine listening to this guy in any other context? What an unbelievable douche. So sad.
Reply/Quote
The one solid thing I have taken away from this election is this, most people are fed up with the election-denying lies. A lot of voters apparently did not forget the shameful behavior of January 6, and it showed in the polls. Frankly, with the high inflation and interest rate hikes, this should have been a Red Wave. Instead, you got a light flow menstrual cycle. And I think it would have been red wave, if it weren't for all of candidates who jumped on the election-denial bandwagon. The good news for the GOP is two-fold: 1) it looks like they will still take the House and the Senate isn't settled issue, and 2) they have a golden opportunity to unburden themselves from the yoke of Trump's hate and lies and head in a more respectable direction.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2022, 01:20 AM)Bengalzona Wrote:  2) they have a golden opportunity to unburden themselves from the yoke of Trump's hate and lies and head in a more respectable direction.

That's the tricky part.  The surprising and unprecedented flop that is the 2022 GOP midterms has rational republicans facing the facts that since they turned the party over to Trump they've managed a single victory and have racked up what could be considered 6 straight years of losing.

Yes, Trump won in 2016 but he also narrowly beat an immensely unpopular candidate in Hillary Clinton after the country was coming off 8 years of a democrat in the white house.  He lost the popular vote by 3 million votes, to boot.  Doesn't count per se, but it wasn't exactly a good sign that he was safe bet going forward.

Predictably, the GOP lost big in the 2018 midterms...standard stuff.

Then Trump loses the 2020 election

Then Trump has his pawprints and endorsements all over a massively disappointing 2022 midterm that should have been an historic win.

The issue the GOP faces is that Trump has 1 narrow victory 6 years ago and 3 straight losses to his credit (1 of which was understandable, but 2 of which were complete botches), but they allowed him to convince a significant portion of their voter base that he actually won each time by epic margins. 

A logical republican says Trump isn't winning, we need to move on to DeSantis, but he has to convince his MAGA allies to move onto DeSantis from Trump who has won 4 straight elections in a landslide and is the only one who can save this country from absolute ruin and systematic liberal sex trafficking pedos.

Good luck.
Reply/Quote