Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022 Starting Offensive Line
(03-04-2022, 12:37 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: As much as we woule like unfortunately, we cannot have 2 at LG. 
You need to decide which one will start.

I think they will let them go to camp and battle it out. 

The team will want Carman to win the spot since they invested the draft capital in him, just not sure he'll be able to unseat Spain.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:35 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: My guess:

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Spain/Carman (I know supposed to pick one but I just feel like they will have a "camp" battle.
C - Trey Hopkins
RG - Mike Daniels
RT - D'Ante Smith

I like Daniels A LOT but not enough to be okay with that group. Is it that you don't believe they will do more in FA or are they signing guys that get beat out?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:58 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Jackson Carman
C - Bradley Bozeman
RG - James Daniels
RT - Morgan Moses

You win, I'll edit mine.  This would be mint.  
Reply/Quote

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Spain/Carman (I know supposed to pick one but I just feel like they will have a "camp" battle.
C - Trey Hopkins
RG - Mike Daniels
RT - D'Ante Smith

Seriously doubt Mike Daniels is going to that switch at this point in his career. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:51 AM)Mobster Wrote: Seriously doubt Mike Daniels is going to that switch at this point in his career. 

If Jason Shirley can do it...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:43 AM)phil413 Wrote: You win, I'll edit mine.  This would be mint.  

THANK YOU!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:42 AM)phil413 Wrote: I like Daniels A LOT but not enough to be okay with that group. Is it that you don't believe they will do more in FA or are they signing guys that get beat out?

I think it will be a combination of both things. 

First, the Bengals will focus on signing their own like Bates and that is going to cost a decent amount.

Secondly, I don't think the Bengals will "over-pay" for a free agent and by over-pay I mean their version of what a guy/position is worth. OL is the second most sought after position in the league after QB. Every team out there has holes and could use an upgrade so the competition for the top guys (like Thuney last year) will be intense. The younger high quality linemen will probably price themselves out of the Bengals range, leaving a vet (like Reiff was) or a not top tier guy (like Spain was, and Daniels is) to fill the needs. 

I want to believe they will make it a priority and go after it with aggression, but they had just as big a need last season, especially with Burrow's injury, and the fix was a veteran second tier tackle, a second rounder that they traded down to take and then two guys on the last day. 

Add in they will need a corner to replace Waynes and Apple and probably another IDL to replace one of Larry O or Hill and pretty quickly, you see the cap and picks start to evaporate.

(03-04-2022, 12:51 AM)Mobster Wrote: Seriously doubt Mike Daniels is going to that switch at this point in his career. 

It's late lol  Tongue

Not sure why I typed Mike not James.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:40 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think it will be a combination of both things. 

First, the Bengals will focus on signing their own like Bates and that is going to cost a decent amount.

Secondly, I don't think the Bengals will "over-pay" for a free agent and by over-pay I mean their version of what a guy/position is worth. OL is the second most sought after position in the league after QB. Every team out there has holes and could use an upgrade so the competition for the top guys (like Thuney last year) will be intense. The younger high quality linemen will probably price themselves out of the Bengals range, leaving a vet (like Reiff was) or a not top tier guy (like Spain was, and Daniels is) to fill the needs. 

I want to believe they will make it a priority and go after it with aggression, but they had just as big a need last season, especially with Burrow's injury, and the fix was a veteran second tier tackle, a second rounder that they traded down to take and then two guys on the last day. 

Add in they will need a corner to replace Waynes and Apple and probably another IDL to replace one of Larry O or Hill and pretty quickly, you see the cap and picks start to evaporate.

It's late lol  Tongue

Not sure why I typed Mike not James.

Their position weakness drew national attention to debate not taking a slam dunk plug and play star in Chase.  It then drew global attention on the biggest stage as the reason they lost the elusive trophy.  

They knew they had to rebuild the run defense and then defense in general the last 2 years and did so by going against former practices.  If this was 2018 I'd agree with your logic but they will not let this happen.

The draft has corners and they'll have to forsake a quality backup UT if it means "hoping" for your kids to get significantly better and fix things.  They have to get at least 2 starters in FA.  If you win this bet, this will be a very long half year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:55 AM)phil413 Wrote: Their position weakness drew national attention to debate not taking a slam dunk plug and play star in Chase.  It then drew global attention on the biggest stage as the reason they lost the elusive trophy.  

They knew they had to rebuild the run defense and then defense in general the last 2 years and did so by going against former practices.  If this was 2018 I'd agree with your logic but they will not let this happen.

The draft has corners and they'll have to forsake a quality backup UT if it means "hoping" for your kids to get significantly better and fix things.  They have to get at least 2 starters in FA.  If you win this bet, this will be a very long half year.  

I don't want to be right, just kind of this feeling I have about what they'll end up doing. 

Reply/Quote
LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Spain
C- Ryan Jensen
RG- Austin Corbett
RT- Reiff

I think we draft RT of the future at 31 im hoping it's Penning but he probably won't fall. Will likely end up with Rainmann. I think Spain and Reiff will both be 1 year deals with the plan being for Carman to take over LG in 2023 and Penning/Rainmann to take over at RT in 2023 or when Reiff inevitably gets injured again. I won't be estatic with this line but I think this line will be good enough to let Joe and Joe cook.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:31 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Spain
C- Ryan Jensen
RG- Austin Corbett
RT- Reiff

I think we draft RT of the future at 31 im hoping it's Penning but he probably won't fall.  Will likely end up with Rainmann.  I think Spain and Reiff will both be 1 year deals with the plan being for Carman to take over LG in 2023 and Penning/Rainmann to take over at RT in 2023 or when Reiff inevitably gets injured again.  I won't be estatic with this line but I think this line will be good enough to let Joe and Joe cook.
I would love that! Reiff was solid while healthy, and IMO his injury issues are a bit overstated. He would have played a complete season in 2020 if not for COVID protocols keeping him out of the last game. And the one game he missed in 2019 was the Vikings resting veterans bc their playoff seeding was locked in IIRC (not sure, though so don't quote me on that one). Also a big fan of Raimann's athleticism at the tackle position.

For the outside FAs, Jensen and Corbett are my two favorites, so sign me up.

Don't see a TOTAL overhaul, I can see LG being a competition. I think Spain would beat Smith and Carman (who would become depth), but they may want to try and see if Carman can develop before writing him off. Still, I'd be very happy with that starting 5.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 04:21 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: I would love that! Reiff was solid while healthy, and IMO his injury issues are a bit overstated. He would have played a complete season in 2020 if not for COVID protocols keeping him out of the last game. And the one game he missed in 2019 was the Vikings resting veterans bc their playoff seeding was locked in IIRC (not sure, though so don't quote me on that one). Also a big fan of Raimann's athleticism at the tackle position.

For the outside FAs, Jensen and Corbett are my two favorites, so sign me up.

Don't see a TOTAL overhaul, I can see LG being a competition. I think Spain would beat Smith and Carman (who would become depth), but they may want to try and see if Carman can develop before writing him off. Still, I'd be very happy with that starting 5.

The only reason I feel iffy about Reiff's health is because I saw a rumor he may retire due to his ankle issue, I hope it is a false rumor because like you said he was solid last season.  67 PFF grade and 4 sacks given up in 700 snaps is more than adequate for a RT placeholder while the rookie learns and develops.  Also, Reiff seems to be a really high character guy who could mentor the rookie which is an added bonus.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I do not think his injury is career-ending, but he's already 33, has made a lot of money, and may decide to just move on with his life. I hope we bring him back next year, he did a good job. I thought he played especially well against Danielle Hunter and his old teammates in the win Week 1 against the Vikings. Should he decide to continue his career I think it'll likely be with us because he's already familiar with the team and may not want to move to his 3rd city in as many years, but, totally his decision.

Jensen 3yr/$39M and Corbett 4yr/$38M should net both without breaking the bank and leaving room for Bates and other pieces.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 04:34 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: I do not think his injury is career-ending, but he's already 33, has made a lot of money, and may decide to just move on with his life. I hope we bring him back next year, he did a good job. I thought he played especially well against Danielle Hunter and his old teammates in the win Week 1 against the Vikings. Should he decide to continue his career I think it'll likely be with us because he's already familiar with the team and may not want to move to his 3rd city in as many years, but, totally his decision.

Jensen 3yr/$39M and Corbett 4yr/$38M should net both without breaking the bank and leaving room for Bates and other pieces.

It is probably more than just the 2021 ankle injury, it might be something chronic/degenerative at this point. He's had ankle issues in 4 of the last 6 seasons, and a foot injury in a 5th season out of the last 6.

Retiring means he could take about 40-60 pounds off of that ankle which would probably do wonders for his quality of life for the rest of his life.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:31 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I think we draft RT of the future at 31 im hoping it's Penning but he probably won't fall.  Will likely end up with Rainmann. 

Agree that there is a good chance we go O-line at #31 (OC or RT).  But drafting that late we probably have to go BPA.  We are not going to get anyone who will start as a rookie anyway.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:43 AM)phil413 Wrote: You win, I'll edit mine.  This would be mint.  

Its entirely doable too.  Id be looking at longer term contract with Bozeman and Daniels.  Both have versatility which will be key as they can both play center or guard and be upgrades to what we have currently, plus they are both still young especially Daniels.   I would try to sign moses or Trent Brown to a shorter deal like 2 years if possible. Cutting Waynes will offset the Daniels cap hit for next year and cutting Hopkins will offset the cap hit for bozeman so we can do this while still maintaining our same cap space for this year and will still be in good shape for future years as the cap goes up.  Wont prevent us from resigning bates as well as the other young talent that will be getting paid over next few years.  I do think we'll have to decide on Oguinjobi or Hill as I dont see us signing both back.  Would really open up draft for CB and 3tech and LB.   I would try to sign moses to a shorter deal like 2 years if possible.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd definitely have your guards switch sides.

Why?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: LT: Terron Armstead
LG: Jonah Williams (Move from LT)
C:  Ryan Jensen
RG: Brandon Scherff
RT: Daniel Faalele

This would be fantastic, sadly the most unrealistic lineup mentioned.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 09:04 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LT Williams
LG Spain/Carman
C Ben Jones
G James Daniels
RT Reiff/ Raimann

Reserves
Hopkins

The Bengals are going to sign two 34 year old for the oline?  They will keep a reserve at $6M?  This would seem to be a little out of character.
Reply/Quote

LT - Jonah Williams
C - Trey Hopkins
RG - James Daniels
RT - D'Ante Smith

This would be the most disappointing scenario, but also the most realistic for the Bengals traditionally.  Let's hope they do a little bit more. 

If Smith could progress into a solid starter that would be huge cap-wise.
Reply/Quote