Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
***2023 NFL Draft Thread***
(04-27-2023, 09:06 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Please don't post picks before they're announced on TV!!!

Exactly.  Twitter warriors like posting here before the picks.

Please do not do this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 09:16 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Were you watching Good Morning Football this morning?  That's what one of the hosts had for his mock.  He had the Bengals trading out of the first with the Vikings and the Vikings taking a QB, Hendon Hooker.    :)

Nah, I haven't watched GMF since Nate and Kay left. That's been my prediction for a bit now but I was thinking Oakland, Tennessee, or the Colts if they end up stuck with the 4th QB at #4 and don't like him, rather than Minnesota. Trying to jump New Orleans from getting Hooker at 29.

EDIT: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Zeke-to-the-Bengals?pid=1347490#pid1347490
Said it 25 days ago, I am going to baselessly say that the GMF guy clearly copied me. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 08:37 AM)Synric Wrote: Everytime I turn around I see more Jahmyr Gibbs to the Bengals hype... I caught hell for like 3 months for saying I like Gibbs with Burrow lol.

Gibbs is a matchup nightmare and puts DC's in a catch 22.  Do they stay in Tampa 2 she'll and watch Gibbs abuse their LB's or bring a S up and pray Chase doesn't torch them?  He's not at the top of my board, but he's a good pick, especially if the Bengals are looking to push "all in" this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 08:37 AM)Synric Wrote: Everytime I turn around I see more Jahmyr Gibbs to the Bengals hype... I caught hell for like 3 months for saying I like Gibbs with Burrow lol.

I think that's because people are worried that with Gibbs' size he won't pass block very well, and the Bengals did quite a lot of that between Perine and Mixon last year.
He only played 30 pass block snaps this past season, and he allowed 3 pressures in those limited snaps. And for those that care about PFF ratings, he had 24.1 pass block rating.
Reportedly, Gibbs has needed to work on his pass blocking since high school days.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jahmyr-gibbs-2023-nfl-draft-profile-full-scouting-report-nfl-projection-fantasy-football-dynasty-outlook/

With all that said, if the Bengals like Gibbs enough as a runner and receiver, they can always get another guy who can be more of the pass blocker and short yardage dude. Most teams don't have a great pass-blocking lead back, and pairing Gibbs with a bigger guy might help allow for a more RBBC and keep the RBs healthy throughout the year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 10:10 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that's because people are worried that with Gibbs' size he won't pass block very well, and the Bengals did quite a lot of that between Perine and Mixon last year.
He only played 30 pass block snaps this past season, and he allowed 3 pressures in those limited snaps.
Reportedly, Gibbs has needed to work on his pass blocking since high school days.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jahmyr-gibbs-2023-nfl-draft-profile-full-scouting-report-nfl-projection-fantasy-football-dynasty-outlook/

With all that said, if the Bengals like Gibbs enough as a runner and receiver, they can always get another guy who can be more of the pass blocker and short yardage dude. Most teams don't have a great pass-blocking lead back, and pairing Gibbs with a bigger guy might help allow for a more RBBC and keep the RBs healthy throughout the year.

One plus about Gibbs passblocking is that he more mentally prepared that some of the backs that were "good" pass blocker like Spears. Tyjae Spears didnt have to check release at Tulane. Israel Abankida is the same way.

I wouldnt be trusting any rookie with the heavy pass blocking duties anyway. I would wait until training camp cuts like they did when they picked up Perine or go with Trayveon William's in that area. I am big on Hull late as a 3rd down back really great receiver reminds me of Sexy Rexy Burkhead.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

I like the concept, a quick, very fast versatile back to attack the short field while Tee and Chase take the DB's deep.  That is much harder to defend than the current Bengals offense. I doubt he'll be sitting around at 28.  
Reply/Quote
"With the 28th pick of the 2023 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select?" commercial break.  Gaah 

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 10:10 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that's because people are worried that with Gibbs' size he won't pass block very well, and the Bengals did quite a lot of that between Perine and Mixon last year.
He only played 30 pass block snaps this past season, and he allowed 3 pressures in those limited snaps.

Oof, just 30 pass block snaps last year and allowed pressure on 3 of them. That makes me go from maybe to fully out on Gibbs. Need a RB who can at least be above average at all 3 parts of run/catch/block. If he has to come off the field when the moment is big because he'll get Burrow killed, he's no good here.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 09:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: With the 28th pick in the 2023 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals pick.......(Insert best DT left on the board)

Im thinkng same...and if the kid Mazi is there I wont be surprised as I think the prospect of keeping Reader is low and this is what Bengals do. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 10:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oof, just 30 pass block snaps last year and allowed pressure on 3 of them. That makes me go from maybe to fully out on Gibbs. Need a RB who can at least be above average at all 3 parts of run/catch/block. If he has to come off the field when the moment is big because he'll get Burrow killed, he's no good here.

For comparison, here were the pass blocking numbers and pressures allowed last year for Perine and Mixon:
Perine - 66 pass blocking snaps, 2 pressures allowed (0 sacks)
Mixon - 64 pass blocking snaps, 4 pressures allowed (3 sacks)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I want Gibbs so every time he gets a 1st down the stadium can blast a Bee Gees song. I'm talkin' deep cuts, too. Wildflower, I Threw a Party, anything off of Life In a Tin Can...the works!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For comparison, here were the pass blocking numbers and pressures allowed last year for Perine and Mixon:
Perine - 66 pass blocking snaps, 2 pressures allowed (0 sacks)
Mixon - 64 pass blocking snaps, 4 pressures allowed (3 sacks)

I'm on team Charbonnet. Get him in the 2nd and just play him every down except when he needs a breather. Seems like he's good at everything except 60+ yard TDs.

Reply/Quote

I think as a Mixon replacement, I do not like it. As the lightning in a "thunder and lightning" RB room, I like it more. Probably with Mixon for a year. 

For me: 

Wide awake in dreamland: Robinson, Wright, Van Ness, JSN, Flowers, N. Smith, Kancey, Forbes. 

I think all are gone, but someone slipping to say, 24, and us trading with the Jags would not be impossible, right? Wright? 

Etremely happy: Murphy, Mayer, Banks (I think all gone by 28) 
Happy: Gibbs
Not thrilled, but fine: Kincaid, Porter 
Disappointed, but thems the breaks: Brents, Washington 
Wait, we did what? Harrison, Musgrave, anyone else
Reply/Quote
Happy Draft Day - this should be a National holiday/4 day weekend.

The Bengals don’t have really any positions where they have to draft a first year starter but depth/future replacements are needed almost everywhere. Good problem to have as it opens the draft up for them while still being a top tier team.
I am sure they are are not tied to any one position in the first round and will truly take the highest guy on their board among the T/CB/RB/TE/DL guys who are available.

This is going to be fun as we cross guys off the list heading towards pick 28. You know there are going to be a few players still available among those that fans want so the reaction will be good. Kind of like Sewell/Chase but with 4-5 players in the argument.

Have fun and like others have suggested - stop looking at your phone/computer after pick 27 until after you have seen the pick “live” on TV.
Reply/Quote
The more I think about it, the more and more I think the pick is going to be Gibbs.

He just fits what they do on offense and he 100% then allows them to part ways with Mixon.

This team checks down and throws to the RB so much on offense - Gibbs gives you the ability to make those plays homeruns. I really think he is the pick if he's there.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 11:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm on team Charbonnet. Get him in the 2nd and just play him every down except when he needs a breather. Seems like he's good at everything except 60+ yard TDs.

idk what it is about Charbonnet but his tape doens't do it for me. He just looks slow and unathletic to me. This offense needs speed and someone who can make guys miss.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'll be happy with whomever they take, tonight: there are so many guys that can really help the team, I trust that the any player taken will contribute.

Once we get into the 3rd round, THEN I'll want them to draft certain guys I want :)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 10:33 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Im thinkng same...and if the kid Mazi is there I wont be surprised as I think the prospect of keeping Reader is low and this is what Bengals do. 

I think we keep Reader, but they are looking to reproduce Ogunjobi's rush production up the middle. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 12:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'll be happy with whomever they take, tonight: there are so many guys that can really help the team, I trust that the any player taken will contribute.

Once we get into the 3rd round, THEN I'll want them to draft certain guys I want :)

I agree - there’s only a few guys who I would not be too happy with but for the most part I will be good with whoever they pick (or talk myself into loving it).
Reply/Quote
Now watch the Bengals stun us all, trade up and grab Bijan…
Reply/Quote